X24 Bit The Dust

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
That's right, X24 blew up today. This is a long story so please hang in there...

Let me start you off with a little summary of what has happened at my dealership. (Sheet numbers refer to conversations I had with the publisher of www.flatratetech.com)

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC
Summary
4/4/04

Summer 2003 – Heard knock in motor. Mechanic at Miracle Ford inspected motor: confirmed cam chain recalls (00M12, 01M01) were performed.

Wednesday, March 3, 2004 – Returned to Miracle Ford because motor knock was getting worse. Service advisor John Kay ran VIN on OASIS system. Both cam chain recalls found open. Scheduled appt to have recalls performed for Wednesday, March 10, 2004.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004 – Dropped Explorer off for recall work to be performed (00M12). Lower ball joints also being replaced.

Thursday, March 11, 2004 – Picked up Explorer. Noticed improvement from replacing lower ball joints. Still heard all motor noises. Returned to service. The mechanic who performed the work, Andrew Dollinger, went for test ride. Blamed noises on dirty pistons/valves. See sheet 1 and invoice for details. Scheduled another appt. for Monday, March 22, 2004.

Monday, March 22, 2004 – Dropped Explorer off to have motor noises checked.

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 – Called service advisor, Justin Amodeo. He informed me that three techs listened to the motor and heard nothing. I went to the dealer and, much to my surprise, all motor noises were gone, but immediately noticed something wrong with steering. It seemed clear that
Andrew didn’t complete the recall work when the Explorer was in for the first appt. and completed it when it came back, eliminating the noises. Noticed curb rub on passenger side front tire when inspecting front end with Scott. See sheets 4 and 6 for details. Per Scott, steering rack was found to be in need of replacement. Scott authorized cam chain guide recall (01M01) to be performed. See sheets 6 and 7 for details. Justin informed me that the recall and steering parts would be ordered and my warranty company, First Extended, would be contacted to authorize steering repairs.

Note: - Justin was contacted each of the following days by me to find out what was going on. I was never contacted by him or anyone at the dealership during this time; not once. Justin was not at the dealership March 29, 30, 31. Other representatives informed me that parts had not yet come in each of those three days.

Thursday, April 1, 2004 – Contacted Justin who informed me the steering parts had not arrived. Claimed parts were coming from Michigan and were on an assembly line. Told me all three parts of the recall kit were in and my Explorer would be in the shop later this afternoon to have them installed. See sheet 8 for details.

Friday, April 2, 2004 – Explorer still sitting on lot, in same spot. Called dealership operator to speak with owner, Tony Bruce. Service manager, John Rinaldi, returned call. I explained the situation and he called back after speaking with Justin. Informed me that the steering parts were in a manufacturing plant and three parts of recall kit had arrived. Told me my Explorer would go in to have the recall work started today and would take several days to complete because it involved pulling the engine. Explorer never made it in the shop. Called Monroe Ford, sister dealership, and left message with operator to have Tony Bruce contact me. See sheet 10 for details. I was told by Justin that First Extended was taking several days to approve steering repair that was supposedly reported to them over a week ago. I called First Extended and was informed the steering claim was reported yesterday, 4/1/04 at 3:37pm and was authorized today, 4/2/04 shortly after 10:00am. See sheet 11 for details.

Saturday, April 3, 2004 – Explorer still sitting on lot, in same spot. Went to Miracle Ford parts dept. Asked for the date the steering parts were ordered. Was informed the parts were ordered yesterday, Friday April 2, 2004 sometime after 10:30am… after the repair was approved by First Extended. Spoke with John Rinaldi. Told him I was unhappy. Told him I was being lied to. Told him I know parts weren't ordered until yesterday. John Rinaldi told me I was trying to corner him but it was not going to work because I didn’t have all the facts and Justin was not there to defend himself. No manager speaks to a customer this way. I informed John that Tony Bruce was going to be contacted. Told him I wanted to come down and see when my motor was out and when the new parts were in before the motor was closed back up. John then said the motor might not need to be pulled. It seems clear he told me it had to be pulled simply to buy himself some extra time. See sheet 12 for details.

Monday, April 5, 2004 – 8:30am. - Called Monroe Ford to speak with Tony Bruce. Secretary took message. 9:30am. - John Rinaldi called to tell me Explorer was in shop. 9:40am. - Customer Relations manager, Gina, from Monroe Ford called, said she would speak with John Rinaldi and Tony Bruce about my situation. Told me I could have a meeting with Tony Bruce Jr., VP of Miracle Ford, and John Rinaldi about the situation. 10:15am. - Called Sherry at Miracle Ford to speak with Tony Jr. Tony Jr. was in a meeting. Left message. 11:15am. - John Rinaldi called to tell me Tony Jr. was not ignoring me, but would be tied up in meetings most of the day and would contact me later today or tomorrow.

Tuesday, April 6, 2004 – 10:00am. – Called Monroe Ford to speak with Tony Bruce. Secretary took message. Did not receive a call back from Tony Bruce Jr. as I was told Monday. 5:30pm. – Justin called to tell me steering rack repair was complete and was waiting on the third section of the recall kit. I was told Thursday, 4/1/04, by Justin and Friday, 4/2/04, by John Rinaldi that all three parts of the recall kit had already come in. Justin said part should be in Wednesday morning and the repairs should be complete by the end of the day.

Wednesday, April 7, 2004 – 11:30am. – Called Monroe Ford. Left message for Tony Bruce to call. 3:30pm. – Received call from John Rinaldi. Informed me that all repairs were completed. Alignment would be done first thing Thursday morning. 5:00pm. – Called Monroe Ford again to speak with Tony Bruce. Left message stating, “If I don’t hear from Tony Bruce by the end of tomorrow I will be forced to take further action.â€

Thursday, April 8, 2004 – 12:30pm. – Received call from Tony Bruce Jr. Tony apologized for having my Explorer longer than necessary and for all the miscommunication. Offered free full detail upon my next service visit. 2:00pm. – John Rinaldi called to tell me my Explorer was ready for pickup. 2:30pm. – Picked up Explorer. Paid $50.01 on credit card for warranty deductible. Steering was improved. Explorer seemed slightly sluggish. Approx. seven miles away from the dealership I began to hear a fast tick coming from the motor. Check engine light began to flash. 15 seconds later the motor died. Opened hood and upon inspection found coolant reserve empty. Checked oil and found oil to be extremely thin and the level was high. Nothing found leaking anywhere. Called Ford Customer Service and filed a complaint against Miracle Ford. Called Monroe Ford and left message for Gina and Tony Bruce to call me. Called Miracle Ford and spoke with John Rinaldi. Told him my situation. John Rinaldi gave me the number for Redl’s towing to have the Explorer towed back to Miracle Ford. 7:00pm. – Called Miracle Ford to speak with Tony Bruce Jr. Left message and was told he would call back tonight. 7:40pm. – Called Miracle Ford for Tony Bruce Jr. again. Told he would call back tonight. Did not hear back from Gina, Tony Bruce Sr. or Tony Bruce Jr. Explorer still in my driveway where it died and was not towed per my orders.

There you have it. Lies, lies and more lies in black and white. You would think after me catching them they would stop lying, but they continued. I am going to speak to a lawyer tomorrow and see what my options are. I want to have it repaired at a different dealership. I have not been treated properly as a customer by any of the staff at Miracle Ford or Monroe Ford and I have no faith in any of the techs. My Explorer came out worse than it was when it went in, not once, but twice. I want Miracle Ford to cover all costs of another dealership replacing the motor, but that is easier said than done.

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks for reading.
I will post updates as the days roll on. I am still in contact with the publisher of www.flatratetech.com . That guy has been outstanding with sharing the wealth of information he has. I highly recommend emailing him if you have any major issues such as this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP
Anybody have any advice for me about dealing with dealerships in situations like these?

That sucks.. Time for a 302.. :D

dude that really sucks about your truck, i had a problem with the one dealer near me there tech told me yea your truck needs the cam recall and when i had it in the next day the manager was like no it doesn't make any noise when you can hear it from 2 feet away, my feeling is all dealers stink

Thats harsh man. looks like you have kept a good account of what happened. Just talk to a lawyer, and see what he says. Might want to talk to more than one also. I believe consultations are free.

i agree with the talk to a lawyer...just try to not have much contact with anyone from the dealership untill u talk to a lawyer..he will tell u what to say to them and such

that is just rediculous, that kind of crap is why 8 out of 10 people are affraid of dealerships

i hope u get ur rig back to new quickly

You've got this documented down pretty dam good, I'd say you're in great shape. I've never been in a lawsuit against Ford, but I've had to twist their thumbs pretty badly just to agree to the fact they are wrong, it's humiliating. Like someone said, a good lawyer should give you a free consultation. Only real unfortunate thing here is time, weeks upon weeks to clear this up and finally have a new motor in that truck of yours.

I wish nothing but the best, really sorry to hear.

I had a similar problem with my local dealership (Pacifico Marple Ford). It was like going to a 3 ring circus. I talked to people around and found another dealership (Garnet Ford) about 45 minutes away. It was worth the drive because After I bought my X from them, they have always been very honest about fixing it right the first time and getting it fixed right the first time. This is why I will never go to any other dealer. I would recommend talking to others in the area. Even if another dealer is farther than this one, it may be worth the trip to get better service.

damn that sucks man. I hate dealerships so much.
Defiently consult with a lawyer.

I am suspect that when i took my truck to have 00M01 or whatever Camshaft guide chain replacement done, that it was not done.

hang in there man...

That sucks Chris. Go after them decisively and get EVERYTHING you deserve out of them! If I were you, I would call for their release as well! There is no excuse for this type of bahavior.

Update...

Friday, April 09, 2004 – 9:00am. – Called Monroe Ford to speak with Tony Bruce. Left message. 1:00pm. – Went to Miracle Ford to see Tony Bruce Jr. Tony Jr. was in a meeting. Spoke with John Rinaldi. Told him I want Miracle Ford to pay all costs of another dealership to do repair work because I don’t trust anyone at Miracle Ford because I was lied to. John Rinaldi told me, “Chris, we have had a conflict of interest with you since the day you walked in here… That’s your side of the story.†Left message with John Rinaldi to have Tony Bruce Jr. call me. 1:30pm. – Received call from John Rinaldi telling me Tony Jr. would not be calling me back and I need to have my car towed to the dealership for them to look at it. Explorer still at my house per my orders.

I still have not heard from the owner. I'm going to let them dig their own grave. So far they're doing a great job. The more they say and do wrong, the more I have.

Jeez Chris, that sux...hope someone gets it fixed real soon. Gotta be all purty for Carlisle. :cool:

Wow, thats a reall bummer. Why do dealerships have to be this way? Time for an OHV swap. It maybe underpowered, but it'll last forever!!

give em' hell and then when your done, give em' some more, sry to hear about everything

Sorry to hear X24. To bad you couldn't get at them and their stock with a 4''x4'' (wood) and demolish it all like in Walking Tall...(not a bad movie)

Chris, sorry to hear about the truck... that really sux, dealerships are a very tricky subject... I know many people had bad experiences with dealers, I worked at a dealership through a 3rd party company for aftermarket electronics and have seen some of the crap they put the vehicles through and all they say is "F**k it.. it aint my car so I dont give a S**t"... really a bad and scary atitude to have. I did alot of favors for techs at some dealerships so I got really good service when needed... actually, got better then good service, they rebuilt my motor and gave me a new exhaust on my lifted explorer and put it all on the cam belt guide recall... If ya lived in Jersey I could tell ya where ta go and who to talk to, but your a bit out of the way... well, to sum it up, they know what their doing, and how to do it... I really think its done on purpose against the customer in retaliation for them having to do more work, unless their really some dumd a$$ f**kers over there... anyway, good luck with those a$$holes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont get why the mechs are assh$$es they get paid the same no matter what right? they need to find a new line of work before they get an ulser from being angry so much lol

i used to know a couple of people that werent mean at a ford..they were just stupid..like buffy..givin that nick name because he stoped to answer his phone while using a buffer on a car, the idiot didnt turn off the buffer just let it buff all the way through lol

Back