Xandros OCE- linux made easier | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Xandros OCE- linux made easier

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
Ok, not an AD, since it can be gotten free as Xandros OCE LEGALLY or for $10 as a regular download.

This operating system is meant to look and feel like Windows, and work as linux, which is a MUCH more stabil OS. I have it on a spare PC as a testbed, its working marvelously.

Benefits include, not using XP, can be used on as many computers as you want (BIG PLUS) includes openOffice.org's which is free-wares answer to MS office. its one CD burn, and can be dual boot if you have an extra HD or partitions. A HUGE world of open source (read-legally free/accept donations) software to cover 90% of your needs. less viruses are "directed" towards linux OS's since there are so many versions, and Windows is so popular anyway.

Cons- If you want to play games, don't get rid of 2000/XP/2003. Its sometimes slightly harder to configure software, thats why it has alot of basic packages installed already. I'd still say you need to pay attention to what your doing during an add-on software install, it won't hurt the OS, but it might not work. It will never replace windows, never, its just a really good alternative for people who only do the basics, internet, email, simple games, blah blah blah.

---edit-here---
I am in no way affilliated, nor being paid. I just thought people like to know that this software exists!

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Why would you want your operating system to look and feel like Windows? :p ;)

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
cuz Windows users who are less experienced with linux, can still accomplish stuff without a complete re-learn of an OS... I like linux, and I like to try new ideas, and so far Xandros has a nice feel to it.. I'm not pimping it as the new and greatest, but cross-over software like this is tried by more people than straight up linux, so I want to be familiar with it.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
I was kinda joking. Anything to get people to start using something besides Windows is ok with me. I'm getting tired of all of the spam that I get each day which are sent by all of the Windows zombies out there now. I try to avoid MS products as much as possible.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Where can i get this? Want to be weaned off of Windows.

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
http://www.xandros.com/about/downloads.html Open Circulation is the "Free" version.

you can either use BitTorrent to get it for free, or pay $10 and DL it, I paid the ten bucks it was over 100k/s DL it is a 580 meg file, so if your on Dialup... it'll be like next week :)
Bittorrent can be Fast or not, depends on the program your looking for.

War1ock

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
works great! thanks for pointing this out to us
how did you stumble across this?