• Register Today It's free!

XJ or B2 front bumper on EX 2Gen

Nihil

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I want to put a plain steel bumper on the front of my 2nd Gen Explorer.

I'm thinking either a Bronco II or Cherokee. I know both will need the mounts moved in our out. But my question is which fits better overall--width and height wise?

I have a front receiver on my EX so it would need to fit between that and the grill.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the steel bumper from a 95-98 explorer? You can see the pics of what they look like in the registry (link in signature) Mine has the lower valance and fog lights taken off though

Maybe have Jamscal from the vender section here make you one.

Agreed, his products look awesome. I had figured when he mentioned a b2 or jeep bumper he was referring to a stock steel bumper, because he has a plastic one on a 99.

That's probably the best option if it will fit without any cutting (except for removing valance) above the receiver.

What about the steel bumper from a 95-98 explorer? You can see the pics of what they look like in the registry (link in signature) Mine has the lower valance and fog lights taken off though

Are the frame mounts the same?

Frame mounts on a 95-98 and a 99-01? Yeah. The bumper just bolts right up. Depending on the height of the front hitch, it may still work with the valance, I think ive seen some that make the hitch pop out in the gap in the valance.

Cool thanks. I won't use the valance--just the steel.

Frame mounts on a 95-98 and a 99-01? Yeah. The bumper just bolts right up. Depending on the height of the front hitch, it may still work with the valance, I think ive seen some that make the hitch pop out in the gap in the valance.

Back