• Register Today It's free!

XLS W/ Dead Tranny

RX7 Driver4Life

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLS 4.0 OHV
I have been reading alot of the diaries about VB rebuilds and what not i just dont know what action plan to take. I am very mechanically inclined but never dealt with auto transmissions. I am a rotor head as the screen name suggests but my explorer is my work horse.

My Problem
It started off with the 2-3 shift flare and a weak reverse like the car would struggle to reverse sometimes. I checked fluid it was missing maybe 1 quart so i refilled it. nothing changed but the car would drive fine other wise. one day i left home and i was driving to work half way there the tranny went blank. i still had a manual 1st and 2nd but no shifts after that then when i got to work i usually back into my parking spot i had no reverse. do you guys think my tranny needs a full rebuild or what?

ohh car is a 1999 4Dr Explorer XLS 2WD 4.0L OHV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any help?

need to fix my car guys all i need to know is what course to take should i rebuild the valve body or the whole damn transmission ! ! !

please any help would be appreciated

Does it have the update kit? If not put that in it or get a kit from transgo. Sounds like it has blown a valve body gasket.

where do i hook up the tester? and what am i looking for?
The car has 115K and was driving fine before this happened. as far as i know pan has never been dropped so i am assuming stock VB

Back