XLT 205A vs Limited 300A | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT 205A vs Limited 300A

maerlim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Wife finally went with me car shopping. We looked at the Durango and the Explorer back-to-back. She agreed with me that the Explorer was the car for us. So now it's down to the nitty gritty details. I really want the NAV, but want to stay in somewhat of a budget, so it looks like we're looking at an XLT with the 205A package or a Limited with the 300A package with NAV add-on.

From what I can tell, the Limited adds: 20" wheels, Sony HD radio, 110v power outlet, remote start, push-button start (smart key), ambient lighting, and power adjustable pedals (oh and the body color grille & mirrors). The XLT already has the same leather heated seats.

Am I missing anything there? Because of the odd way some of the option packages are done, is there anything in the XLT 205A package that is not in the Limited 300A (with NAV) package?

On a related note, when testing seat comfort, my Wife and I both thought the "standard leather" seats were softer and more comfortable than the "luxury perforated leather" seats. Has anybody else noticed this, or was it just the particular cars we were testing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the price difference between the two with options you want? I have a Limited with 301A. I think most of the additional options are personal preference. My thoughts:
20" wheels - look better but mine are polished and wish I just had the painted ones
Sony HD radio - nothing spectacular
110v power outlet - nice to have but haven't used it yet
remote start - great feature but only used it once in 3 months
push-button start (smart key) - love it, never take key out of my pocket
ambient lighting - could care less
power adjustable pedals - I don't let my wife drive it (jk)
body color grille & mirrors - nicer appearance in my opinion but all still have the black trim on rocker panels and wheel wells, so don't see black mirrors as a turn off

I did not seriously look at the XLT as most local to me weren't loaded up versions. Had I ordered to my specs, I would have likely priced out both the XLT and Limited and made a decision from there. I did have an XLT as a rental vehicle in early 2011 which is what originally turned me on to the Explorer. I had another XLT a month ago after owning the Limited for a couple month and I like the limited much better.

I was on a budget myself... I love the explorer and the quality since my last ford (97 Mustang GT)... but i didnt want to go into the $40s for an Explorer... but my main wants were power liftgate and tow package and leather.

With that said... got a Ingot Silver XLT with the 202A so it's got the charcoal leather seats and rear cam. and the car also had the 20" polished, power liftgate and tow package and nav and MSRP'd for about $38k and talked them down to low $30s.

With that I felt I got my moneys worth on the XLT and the add-ons i wanted.

we're not talking v6 ecoboost engine or ride height suspension or soundproofing or more leather detail or finer trim detail to separate an xlt to ltd to warrant mid to high 40s... we're talking ambient lighting, a push button start and color matching grill/rear view.

would have really liked the push button start and 110v outlet though.

Wife finally went with me car shopping. We looked at the Durango and the Explorer back-to-back. She agreed with me that the Explorer was the car for us. So now it's down to the nitty gritty details. I really want the NAV, but want to stay in somewhat of a budget, so it looks like we're looking at an XLT with the 205A package or a Limited with the 300A package with NAV add-on.

From what I can tell, the Limited adds: 20" wheels, Sony HD radio, 110v power outlet, remote start, push-button start (smart key), ambient lighting, and power adjustable pedals (oh and the body color grille & mirrors). The XLT already has the same leather heated seats.

Am I missing anything there? Because of the odd way some of the option packages are done, is there anything in the XLT 205A package that is not in the Limited 300A (with NAV) package?

On a related note, when testing seat comfort, my Wife and I both thought the "standard leather" seats were softer and more comfortable than the "luxury perforated leather" seats. Has anybody else noticed this, or was it just the particular cars we were testing?

I personally LOVE the push button start and the Sony radio is REALLY good.... It's amazing how good HD radio is.

I personally LOVE the push button start and the Sony radio is REALLY good.... It's amazing how good HD radio is.

Love the push-button start and proximity key and seat memories.

I enjoy the HD radio...in some markets where I drive there are 3 and 4 streams on the one station. You can even 'tag' a song and it will 'inform' your iPod to show you the song when you next connect to the iTunes store.

Love the push-button start and proximity key and seat memories.

I enjoy the HD radio...in some markets where I drive there are 3 and 4 streams on the one station. You can even 'tag' a song and it will 'inform' your iPod to show you the song when you next connect to the iTunes store.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the memory feature for the seats is only with the luxury leather option with the 301A (or above) package.

I am in somewhat of the same situation as you. I am hopefully ordering my X this week and have been toying with the XLT vs Limited.

The questions is, if you take the 20" wheels out of the equation (which could be added to the XLT for around $1100) is it worth paying $1800 to never have to take your key out of your pocket and have a couple more radio stations?

At this point i don't think i can fork over that kind of money for those features, i'd rather put $1500 into a dual moonroof :)

Limited gets the garage door opener, too, I think. I faced exactly the same decision you are looking at. I settled on the XLT with 205A, picked it up two weeks ago. Either way I think you'll be pleased.

We got 300A

We ended up going with the 300A. We looked at the 205A. But in my mind, I had already decided on the 300A because of the grille color. My wife could go either way. Our main concern was keeping the price down but still making it feel luxurious. At the 300A point we added the dual moon roof and power liftgate and crossbars. We sort of regretted not getting the tow package but I always go back to the overheating and transmission thread to make me feel better ;)

The 300A comes with all the bells and whistles. The obvious minuses are the main features in the upper packages (nav, perf leather seats, ac seats, option to have captain's chairs in 2nd row, power third row, bliss,park assist, etc.). We felt we could sacrifice those options to stay within our budget.

I should add that with all the reported issues with NAV, we would just save the money and lean-back on a portable unit or the sync-based directions which work ok IMO.

Back