• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

XP Problem

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
I was deleting a virus in System32 on my laptop just now, and it replaced a system file so I had to go into Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt. I did 'del windows\system32' and pressed enter. I meant to type the file name but I was in a hurry and just pressed enter and then yes. I looked away then when I looked back it had all these problems saying 'File in Use' and I looked up and it said 'Are you sure you want to delete C:\Windows\System32\*?' Right when I saw this I unplugged it and tried to start it back up. Now it says it's missing dll's to start. I guess I need to reinstall Windows, and I have the CD, but I can't access it. F8 brings me to the other choices menu and it doesn't have a setup option. So I'm pretty much unable to even type anything or gain access to my harddrive. I'm sure there's a way around this, anybody know it? What I'm really trying to do is install Windows XP without having access to the command prompt or my actual Windows.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
you need to turn off. manually pop your cdrom (usually with a paper clip), insert your cd, close the drive, then turn on the pc. windows xp cds are bootable, no command promp required as long as you have a cd. i had a ton of problems with my dell and xp so i had to reload (first time i ever loaded xp) and wow, it is way different from loading pre-xp. its so much easier (not like it was hard to begin with!)

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Well I've got the CD in there, it's a laptop so it doesn't have a motor close, just enough to pop it then I have to pull it the rest of the way. It doesn't seem to be loading the CD though.

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
should, mine is a dell laptop (it doesnt pop all the way out either). you may need to go into the bios and tell it to boot from cd, but it should boot right up with the cd in. the cd must be in before you turn power on though.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
I'll try that... eventually. Mine's an HP, about a year and a half old, and just earlier today the little plug the AC adapter plugs onto just came unsoldered. I went in and resoldered it and wouldn't ya know it, right when I plug the adapter into it, pops off again. I was relying on the battery until now (1% left), so it needs to be recharged. Now I'm looking into getting a docking station because I believe those enter through a port in the bottom and don't get power from the laptop.

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
dude, get a dell. i used to buid desktops and sell desktops and laptops. hps desktops are ok, but their (as well as compaq's, who is now owned by hp) laptops blow. i hope to god you have a warranty. the software is one thing...everybody "knows a guy" who can do that, but i would not mess with the main board on a laptop. i almost crapped my pants when i dismantled my laptop to upgrade the memory.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Memory access is on the bottom of my laptop, unscrew a little plate and there it is. I just had trouble getting it dismantled, but I've done it a few times now so I can do it quick. I'm glad I didn't mess anything up, just wish that power port was still in..

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
mine had 2 memory ports, it could be configured with 128or 256 up top and none, 128 or 256 underneath. they say that only one (underneath) is user-accesable. i wanted 512 total and it came with 2x128 so instead of paying thye extra 300 bucks for the 256x2, i ordered 2 256 chips at 55 ea and put the one underneath (easy) and started pulling screws until i found the top one (took off the top access panel, keyboard, power switch, 2 metal plates...all after i had already took the rest apart).

anyways, i hope you get that power thing fixed...something doesnt sound right, i hope you have a warranty. as for the software, worry about that after you get the power back.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
Do a repair installation from the CD. As stated put the cd in first check your bios to make sure it boots from cd first. When you have finished you'll have to go on-line and patch it again (windows update) then get a decent anti-virus program so that you won't have to go through it all again.

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
agreed, except that i hate avtivirus software...gives me more problems than its worth...but thats just me.