• Register Today It's free!

Xplorer to Mounty bumper cover

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
Does anyone know if the '99 Mountaineer front bumper cover will fit on a '96 X sport????

My brother in law has a '99 Mounty. I like the look of that bumper cover better than the stock sport one. It looks like it would bolt right onto my '96 sport, but he won't let me take it off and try.

Maybe next time he goes out of town........j/k.

Anyone ever tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can swap bumpers between them, it should work.

4 bolts and the wiring for the fogs and you can switch bumpers. You'll need the entire bumper and just not the cover I believe.

Ok. Thanks. I might just try it out and not let him know. I was looking at how both the '96 Sport bumper, and the '99 Mounty bumper were put on, and it looked like it could just be swapped. But I will need to buy one (I am not going to permanantly use his) so if anyone has one, or knows of a good place to buy one, let me know. I found one on E-bay for around $100-120 I believe, but like $70 bucks for shipping. Might just try my friend's dad's junkyard.

Yes, Todd is right. You will need the reinforcments in addition to the bumper cover. Then it will bolt to your truck with 4 bolts and 2 wiring connectors.

here is a pic og my X with a mounty bumper installed temporarily. You can use this to decide if it will look good on your X.
grille1.jpg

I think it looks great. I hope it looks good on my '96. I am planning on doing a 3 inch drop this weekend, buying a mounty bumper ASAP, buying the candospecialties.com rollpan, and doing the metalic balck monotone paint job this spring. Thanks for the pic.

That does look sweet...

That front looks good.You have given the X an aggressive look to it..The swap out is really simple...I was going to do the same but I know I would have damaged it offroading.....

FHBasketball said:
I think it looks great. I hope it looks good on my '96. I am planning on doing a 3 inch drop this weekend, buying a mounty bumper ASAP, buying the candospecialties.com rollpan, and doing the metalic balck monotone paint job this spring. Thanks for the pic.

can't wait to see pics!

-=bmacd=-

I did the 3" drop already. It turned out great. Now I just need new shocks. I will try to post pics on my cardomain.com site. Right now I just have stereo equipment on their. If anyone wants to check out my cardomain site, my user name is the samy on here as it is on cardomain. thanks.

Back