• Register Today It's free!

Y Pipe?

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Just called local MD Emission's Station and I asked if a Y Pipe was legal and they said that as long as the truck has over 50,000miles on her I can remove or replace the 2 front cats and as long as it doesn't throw any codes I should be able to pass and she sent a long list of emission tests in an email and she highlighted this section for me

"On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test
1996 or newer model year vehicles weighing less than 8,501 pounds and equipped with a computer controlled engine and fuel system

Instead of testing your vehicle’s exhaust, your emissions test will involve scanning your vehicle's computer for emission control malfunctions. During an on-board diagnostics scan, a lane inspector will connect to your vehicle's computer through a connector under the dashboard to determine the presence of recorded “trouble codes” that illuminate the “check engine” light on the instrument panel. Vehicles with an illuminated “check engine” light automatically fail the emissions test those that don't pass"

And I was wondering does the Y Pipe throw codes? cause you are replacing 2 OS sensors right? i believe there is a total of 3 right? i could be wrong but if the thing throws codes it would be a waste of time so anyone have a Y Pipe that can answer my question? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I just gotta say, I love Florida, we dont do emissions checks. I could throw a smog ejector on the back and they wouldnt give a damn.

I wouldnt imagine it throws themn codes though.

Ions
you cannot eliminate the two front sensors, you need them,
The random-tec Y-pipe I have, has no cats but the bungs for the sensors are part of the pipe, you just screw them back in.

Thanks for the reply spindle so it doesn't throw any codes? the old sensors just plug right back in?

They just thread back into the Y-Pipe, codes are not a problem as the sensors are precat on the Y-Pipe, but you need them, save your old Y-Pipe if you have inspections, you may need to re-install to pass, I did

spindlecone where did u purchase you random-tech y pipe from ive been looking everywhere for a new y pipe and high flow cats

4point0 said:
spindlecone where did u purchase you random-tech y pipe from ive been looking everywhere for a new y pipe and high flow cats
Got Mine from Wayne Foy @ hypnotic Illusions, is one of our site sponsors

Is the y-pipe for the Sport Trac exactly the same as on the 2dr Sport?

I really need to do something about my degrading cats. They stink after a mile or so of light-throttle driving. If I floor it even briefly, the exhaust will almost make you puke and will stay that way until I shut it off and let it cool. Its good for shaking off a tailgater, but that's about all. Its been this way since almost new, but the dealers haven't found any problems....like almost everything else I've taken it in for! So I'll just do this myself too. Fortunately we don't have emissions testing around here.

Would think so, do not know for certain

Just wondering, because they only list it for the Sport Trac at all the retailers I've seen. I guess I should ask a vendor instead of sitting here wondering, LOL.

Back