Yea chain rattle after replacement 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yea chain rattle after replacement 4.0 sohc

ExFordTech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 RANGER
Ok a little history. I'm retired but active and my neighbors Ranger broke down in front of my dwelling. So nice guy that I am looked into the concern, chain laying outside of the drivers side valve cover seams to be a concern. Pulled engine and tore apart to inspect. replaced all broken and worn parts including all exhaust valves on drivers side head. Used Cloyes timing chains at first but Rock Auto sent discontinued items and I had a concern after instillation, A link cap fell off in my hand. went back with OEM. anyways all together, timing correct and started her up and the engine runs great except for one hell of a noise from the timing cover area. Removed cover to find the side of primary chain riding up against the tensioner mounting plate. measured the thickness of the plate against the original and from the mounting base its 0.110. this extra thick bracket even though it is a redesign and heavier duty it is causing me great frustration since the chain is contacting. Has anyone else had this same concern. This engine does not have a balance shaft and is not the original engine but it is a pre 02 engine. Tomorrow I will go to my old dealer match up tensioners to see if there is differences. but anyone ever have this concern. Also I all ready checked crank end play and the thrust is within specs for the crank and cam. thrust plate for cam and the journal are also within specs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

crank sprocket?

I can't recall anyone else ever reporting a similar problem on this forum. Is it possible that you installed the crankshaft sprocket backwards offsetting the chain aft? The front of the sprocket is shown below.
CrankgearFront.JPG

And the rear:
CrankGearRear.jpg

If it is installed backward the harmonic balancer will not seat properly when installed. Does the chain contact the top or the bottom of the tensioner base?
Primary.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I double checked the gear before I installed, It happened once at the dealer I worked at and is easy to do. But it's in there right. I looked at the old guides and the chain does ride a bit back on the guides. Tomorrow I'll see what another tensioner looks like and take some measurements. Might have to machine the base to match the depth of the original. Other then the noise it runs good. I'll update tomorrow , hope they have one in stock.

Oh also note that on the crank gear, the side contacting the crank has the external flange so it even sits farther forward. some are just flat with no flange. so really I should have absolutely no clearance concerns but I do. It's a match for the original. Of course it was brought to me not running and my neighbor said it's been rattling for a few years now.

Casting change?

Since you're an ex-tech do you happen to know what year the casting of the head or the block was changed so the front cassette guide can no longer be removed/installed without removing the head? I think it was around 2004 or so.

Block is 7/09. so it's an older engine. Going to the dealer today to check the tensioner. I'll take my MIKE.

Back