Yellow LED Fog Lights (2018 Explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellow LED Fog Lights (2018 Explorer)

I'm interested in changing the stock white LED fog lights in my new 2018 Explorer Sport to a yellow bulb (2500K). As an LED it would seem you could electronically change the color of the stock bulb but replacing the bulb would work as well. Has anyone changed out the LED fog light to yellow?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are yellow LED fog light bulbs you can use. Try vleds.

I'm afraid not all LED's have electronic color changing ability. You'd have to somehow replace the stock units.

Have you considered using yellow tint/film over the existing lens? The Mustang boys have been putting yellow film over their grill fog lights for years. Would be a simple/cheap alternative. If you end up not liking it just remove the film.

It says yellow lights are better in the snow but don’t know if that’s true or not. I think yellow will be better for fog because white reflects more than yellow. maybe have a try

It says yellow lights are better in the snow but don’t know if that’s true or not. I think yellow will be better for fog because white reflects more than yellow. maybe have a try

In both snow and fog, and assuming all else equal, yellow would be better than white, as white will reflect the light back a lot better. Yellow is also more distinctive in poor lighting conditions, thereby making you more visible to other road users.

True fog lights are called "selective yellow" and filter out the blue to violet wavelengths. That's what makes them better. You will see this on high end lights like PIAA.

Have you considered using yellow tint/film over the existing lens? The Mustang boys have been putting yellow film over their grill fog lights for years. Would be a simple/cheap alternative. If you end up not liking it just remove the film.
Thanks. This is the best idea I've heard. I had the unrelated experience of hitting an elk a few months back and it blew up the right front corner of my 2018 Explorer Sport. I was able to remove and look at the fog light module and it's a completely sealed unit. There is no way that I could see to take it apart short of cutting it open. Yellow film over the lens is the best idea so far.

In both snow and fog, and assuming all else equal, yellow would be better than white, as white will reflect the light back a lot better. Yellow is also more distinctive in poor lighting conditions, thereby making you more visible to other road users.
My experience has been that yellow is better than white in true fog or heavy rain or snow for the exact reason that fog and snow reflect white light better than yellow light. Now that I know the fog lamps on the 2018 Explorer are sealed units I'm thinking the yellow film is the best idea. I'm assuming Ford would never offer the sealed units for sale in yellow and, if they did, they'd be very expensive.

My experience has been that yellow is better than white in true fog or heavy rain or snow for the exact reason that fog and snow reflect white light better than yellow light. Now that I know the fog lamps on the 2018 Explorer are sealed units I'm thinking the yellow film is the best idea. I'm assuming Ford would never offer the sealed units for sale in yellow and, if they did, they'd be very expensive.

First I've heard that the fog lights are totally sealed. Then again yours are different to the ones I would have.

Edit: yellow is also less blinding to other road users - France actually had a law that headlamps had to be yellow. I think that ended in the early 90s though.

Thanks. This is the best idea I've heard. I had the unrelated experience of hitting an elk a few months back and it blew up the right front corner of my 2018 Explorer Sport. I was able to remove and look at the fog light module and it's a completely sealed unit. There is no way that I could see to take it apart short of cutting it open. Yellow film over the lens is the best idea so far.

This is gel (film) used in stage lighting. It is made specifically for light and heat.
Roscolux® | Rosco

You might want to check out the light transmission amounts for each color. It's hard to really trust monitor colors. You can get it from CamelTraders and it is relatively cheap so you may want to try a few different colors of yellow.

A 21"x24" sheet is $6.90 + tax and shipping(fwiw)
ROSCO 4590 YELLOW

I use yellow tint on my fog lights. Works great and way cheaper.

Installed yellow for only 1 week but changed it with this white led Genuine Ford Fog Lights - XL - DC3Z-15200-AA | Levittown Ford. Somehow the bulb popped and don't know why that happened in my opinion yellow fog is less stressful for the incoming driver. I feel like the intensity is much lower but more relax compared to white but have white one instead since I got this for free from my brother.

Back