Yellow wrench limp mode Explorer 2008 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellow wrench limp mode Explorer 2008 V6

buumaster

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008, explorer 4.0 v6
Typical problem randomly when driving car throw yellow wrench and went to limp mode.
Fault codes what I had randomly get in different days:
p2104
p2107
p2110
p2112
p061b
I bought new SKP brand throttle body, new crankshaft sensor and made straight wiring from the PCM to the throttle body. Did relearn method many times.
Vehicle works about max for 2 days and on third day it gave yellow wrench and shows fault p2104.
I don't know what to do anymore got damnd it..
Spark plugs and coils also replaced last summer.
Need some help! 🤷‍♂️

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you looked up the trouble codes yet? I looked up a couple and they are related to the drive by wire throttle. P2104 is basically stuck at idle.

Have you looked up the trouble codes yet? I looked up a couple and they are related to the drive by wire throttle. P2104 is basically stuck at idle.
yes. thats why i replaced throttle body and wiring with hope that these trouble codes could go away but they didn't.

Have you seen this? "Change the Accelerator Actuator Control"

yours after the wiring deterioration issues iirc, so im doubtful it would be the deterioration that occurs on esrlier 4gs. xould maf be suspect?

Have you seen this? "Change the Accelerator Actuator Control"
I didn't quite understand your question. you mean throttle actuator control unit ?

yours after the wiring deterioration issues iirc, so im doubtful it would be the deterioration that occurs on esrlier 4gs. xould maf be suspect?
I cleaned the MAF and there were a couple of damaged wires on the wiring near the MAF connector, I cut them off and soldered them and isolated with electric tape. Damage is very close to pigtail. Maybe I need to replace new pigtail? But I wonder why vehicle does not give fault code on MAF then?

Well I ordered new motorcraft TPS sensor.
New walker MAF sensor.
New motorcraft MAF connector .
Lets see when parts arrive and I install them..
One thing is weird to me. If I do relearn procedure, it works for a day or a two..

Swapped new motorcraft DY1164 TPS in to old throttle body.
Swapped new motorcraft MAF sensor connector.
Swapped new walker product MAF.
Did relearn and tried to drive..
Immediately throwed yellow wrench!
I scanned for fault codes and it was P061B!
I Swapped new walker product MAF in to old OEM MAF and it works for 30min.
After it I normally drived to home.
Scanned for fault codes and no fault codes.
Lets see on mext day will it work or not.

Can it be possible that vehicle works only with Motorcraft TPS or MAF?
And won't work with aftermarket parts?

I wouldn't say ONLY with Motorcraft parts. Some off brand parts can have issues. I would not buy a non OEM TPS. The MAF is a different issue, IMO. Aftermarket MAFs have been sold for over thirty years so this tech isn't as sensitive as some others.

Since forever,chinese aftermarket part are totally hit or miss...especially when you try to eliminate any kind of electric issues, use oem or more reliable brand like bosch or denso etc.

Nope. Didn't fix the problem. After 15 min of driving yellow wrench came up and codes p2104, p2111.

AA227BBA-E2EA-4E5E-8A45-B69E99E4D127.jpeg C2193526-6C53-4AAE-B26B-9AC92A3C2AB4.jpeg

Replaced PCM and now car WORKS without problems.

Well now I have new TB and two TPS. New wiring from TAC & TPS to the PCM. New EGR. And New PCM.
Well that wasn't cheap..

Replaced PCM and now car WORKS without problems.

Well now I have new TB and two TPS. New wiring from TAC & TPS to the PCM. New EGR. And New PCM.
Well that wasn't cheap..
When you bought the new pcm did it come programmed or did you have to have a dealership program it for you and what did they charge you to program it to your explorer?

Back