Yellowford's 93 budget rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellowford's 93 budget rig

Picked up this 93 to be my winter ride/ wheeler, after selling my last v8 Explorer to get a better dd with way better gas mileage it was time to find something to drive in the snow and wheel. This is where it begins a $500 Explorer sport.

Specs
4.0L v6
M50D
Electric shift 1354
Stupid auto hubs
Open diffs front and rear 3.27:(

Budget Tracking
$500 Explorer
$20 starter soleniod
$35 Water pump
$10 Antifreeze

Hoping to get this ready to drive by halloween for smorr, currently trying to figure out a starter problem, the only way to start it right now is push starting and popping the clutch. Also it has a coolant leak I need to track down once its running. The doors have the typical first gen doop pin problems. The interior needs a good cleaning, possibly do the Joedirt cleaning method. Drivers side door has no interior panel and the window is not on the track at all.

Plans are to get it running good first, add recovery points, cut fenders, then find some tires to throw on it and go wheeling.

Couple pics, not very good since it sitting in the garage right now:(
SANY0697.jpg

dirty interior
SANY0698.jpg

SANY0699.jpg

Currently has B2 wheels with 30x9.5 on the back and some 235/75s on the front with the factory wheels
SANY0701.jpg

Think this is the only Ex without a saggy back end, currently it sits about 2in higher than the front and the front has some weird air shocks inside the coil springs that can be aired up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your list is doable for making the Halloween meet. Shock remount looks like the hardest thing to do. Are you going to place them where the sway bar tabs are on the axle?

Thats what I was considering, it doesn't seem that hard just get some flat stock make 2 bends in it and drill 3 holes, unless there is something there I'm forgetting. Looks like funding is going to be the hardest thing about all of this, sucks only working less than 20 hours a week.

Meet my Home Security System;)

http://www.*****aboutobama.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chuck-norris1.jpg

I'll just bring my body guards:D.
justice_league.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Cut the shock mounts out of square tubing :thumbsup:

2x2 3/16 should work fine

That sounds way easier and cheaper than buying longer shocks, thanks for the tip. It does seem kind of weird that the back of this isn't lifted but it will max out the stock shocks just from jacking up one side.

Went and got the 33's all mounted up today as well as trimmed the front fenders for a little more clearance as they were rubbing at the back of them. The rears fit without a problem and was able to max out my jack trying to get them to rub. The front tires are the old BFG MT pattern and also have a spare in the samer, the rears are Super Swamper truxus MT's. Picked all of the tires up for $100, also starting to wonder if the door sticker is actually wrong about the gearing as it still drives fine.

Rear hitch finished and license plate mounted
SANY0709.jpg

looks so big/little at the same time
SANY0710.jpg

fender trimming
SANY0711.jpg

front bumper with hooks finished up
SANY0713.jpg

Just when SMORR fall run was in my grasp it goes away, the starter is now frozen and only works when being hit with a hammer, the tcase doesnt shift and my front end is completley worn to wear it shakes like crazy.

I just happen to have a t-case laying around as well (my spare) :)

Get down here and pick it up, we can work out the details later.

Also, your tires might be bad. A broken belt is all it takes. Have them re-balanced, see if thats the prob. If so, I have a couple 33" spares with 30-40% tread.

Hmmm, just happen to have a starter laying in the garage. :thumbsup:

You may have just came to the rescue:D.

I just happen to have a t-case laying around as well (my spare) :)

Get down here and pick it up, we can work out the details later.

Also, your tires might be bad. A broken belt is all it takes. Have them re-balanced, see if thats the prob. If so, I have a couple 33" spares with 30-40% tread.

I'm thinking the actual tcase is still good and it is just the shift motor which if thats the case a simple manual lever will be in order till I can find a real manual tcase.

Part of it may be the tires, especially since the rears aren't even balanced right now since I ran out of bb's. It shook before the tires just not as bad and considering the steering wheel is half way to the right to go straight that be part of it as well. Also there is a lot of play it seems in the wheel bearings since I can move the tires around alot and not get movement in the tie rods so those may be pulled out and checked and just repacked if they end up being fine and go from there.

A gator grip socket works great on the actuator lever coming out of the t-case. Just use a 6" extension and ratchet with it, and swap back and forth from H to L until you either get a new motor or go manual.

Check the spindle nuts and the washers, making sure they are seated right. If they have any gap or slop, it will act like your describing.

Might need more BB's in them tires. I run 12 oz in each 33" tire. 8 oz was not enough.

A gator grip socket works great on the actuator lever coming out of the t-case. Just use a 6" extension and ratchet with it, and swap back and forth from H to L until you either get a new motor or go manual.

Check the spindle nuts and the washers, making sure they are seated right. If they have any gap or slop, it will act like your describing.

Might need more BB's in them tires. I run 12 oz in each 33" tire. 8 oz was not enough.

Thats a good idea for the tcase will have to try that as a back up plan.

I'll check everything first, its a learning curve since this is the first truck I've had where it doesn't have unit bearings.

12oz would probably help since the fronts only have 8oz in them right now.

The big white truck visited my house while I was at school, lucky for me he left a new starter and it works perfectly.

Went and added more bb's to the tires the other day, it seemed to help quite a bit. Think the culprit for the shaking is a worn lower ball joint on the passenger side, this will have to wait till after I get paid to order a new one.

Also figured out something for the tcase, after dissasembling the electric motor the gear with the triangle on it can be stuck on the shaft and turned by hand thus allowing me to use the tcase for now by crawling under to go into 4.

Still waiting on the guy to ship the coils I bought from him, if he doesn't send by the end of the week a report will be filed with paypal. Since it doesn't look like the front of my Explorer will be lifted at all for SMORR the sway bar will probably have to stay attatched.

Since it doesn't look like the front of my Explorer will be lifted at all for SMORR the sway bar will probably have to stay attatched.

Congrats on getting the starter installed. :thumbsup:

Why do you need to leave the sway bar attached because of no lift? You will get better articulation without it. My 94 does way better on the trails disconnected (both front & rear).

Congrats on getting the starter installed. :thumbsup:

Why do you need to leave the sway bar attached because of no lift? You will get better articulation without it. My 94 does way better on the trails disconnected (both front & rear).

Guessing that the 33's and no lift is going to lead to some serious rubbing up front, but will probably try it anyways since I have one side of discos already installed.

I cut about 2" off the front fenders so far, ran out of stuff to cut unless I go into the metal inner fender, will have to look and see what all is behind it.

Plus the guy that I was buying the coils from is suppose to be shipping them out today, so who knows if those will go on before SMORR or not, depends when they get here and if I can figure out how to align a ttb.

You beat the Pinch welds down yet?

Finally recieved the leveling coils and got them installed, along with a new lower ball joint on the passenger side. Its looking like the rotor/inner bearing on the passenger side will need to be replaced.
P102310001.jpg

Side note, after correcting for the difference of my odometer it looks like I'm getting 16mpg out of this thing, not too shabby for stock gears and 33's.

Going to go take this on its mayden voyage tommorrow to Tuttle, we'll see how prepared it is for smorr since its a 2 hour drive there.

Back