Yes, 5R55e flare, yes vb gasket, epc, bracket but... in 2021where | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yes, 5R55e flare, yes vb gasket, epc, bracket but... in 2021where

BenDT

Reaction score
City, State
Salisbury
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 x sport w/ 31 BFG m/t
Maybe this is beating an old thread. I by no mean am saying let’s repeat what’s been said 100 different ways on here. Much of what’s said is gold and just not even read, followed by some butthead coming by and asking someone to teach them which way they need to turn the wrench, even with the previous post having pictures and arrows. Ok to the point.... is there a one stop shop for the 5r55e that offers a complete trans kit. I see so many of these still on the roads and most people I talk to tell me they have or have to change the trans. It almost always sounds like a simple fix sold by the trans shop as a rebuild. IS THERE ACTUALLY A PLACE TO GO THAT HAS EVERY ITEM NEEDED AS A KIT???? If not I feel like this site and it’s members could create a CURRENT shopping list of the whats and where’s. Many links are to items no longer available or post from 5+ years apart stating different fixes for different problems. Anyone do this recently and actually source the parts. I’ve clicked links for companies that are no longer in business, let alone still making a Quality part. I have a virgin 98 trans. It’s got 270k on it. The trans has never been actually opened. The fluid changed via a pump top side. Went from shifting like a new Cadillac to a very very slight flare every fifth or so pull after some serious four wheel action and water fording. I’m honestly assuming this thing could use a filter fluid and band adjustment and be just fine, however if I’m going to pop the top on this thing I’m going to fix every non mechanical item I can without pulling the trans completely. Yes I should do that and use a low mileage junk yard unit and do what I’m saying but im enjoying the experiment I’ve had since high school and wish to see what kind of mileage I can get with daily dirt road adventures and redline pulls it’s whole life. Back to my point. Who has a current list of the whats from where’s. I’m sure many people would be interested in a freshening up of their electronics at the least. Chinese bs is everywhere I look. However if that is a better option (or only now), maybe the days of the 25 year old electrically controlled trans design have come... and we all get new EV HUMMERS. I will create a list and post of what I end up doing. However that will fall short of those who actually have done this more than a handful of nights. I know my way around and ins and outs. The sourcing of materials and hands on experience do lack here. I’ve seen the hollow inserts that you pound into the journals to stiffen the wall thickness too. However, is brass ok? How big do they actually need to be. Stainless options? .... anyone still here.... (crickets)..... lol... if so, thanks for sticking it out. Maybe someone knows someone from a bulletproof build shop who could offer the best options time has shown. Very few people with the desire to pay anyone to build something are wheeling these. Either long time sploderers or young kids tearing up vehicles with “no” money to repair. It won’t cut into anyone’s pockets this many years on, but the true wheelers would really benefit from a “5R55E BIBLE”

SONNAX.COM a great place to start.

I think the issue is anyone who knows how to rebuild transmissions already has the sources. At 270k and no maintenance, I’d probably just leave it alone. It’s probably only living at this point because it’s a habit.

As for brass being okay, your factory supplied unit is aluminum, so brass is a definite upgrade. (I think they get bored and pressed in as well, not just “hammered in”) Why stainless? People tend to think stainless is a great material, when it’s actually almost always not the best except for very specific circumstances. Stainless is ALWAYS my least favorite material to work with.

Back