YES, you can install rear headrests in a PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

YES, you can install rear headrests in a PIU

I think this is the kind of photo that you are looking for... this is measured from the side seam of the seat, left and then right.

Is there any chance you could get a picture of the middle seat with the measuring tape?

just finished the left and right side, but I’m not sure where to make cuts in the center seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's because the sponge inside the seat is pretty compact, dense. I did manage to yank some of it out by just using a screwdriver, after making a cross cut in the seat cover right where the grommet would sit. Grommet has to sit securely inside the opening in the seat frame - otherwise the whole thing is going to move around.

Here you go - middle one

Attachments

• 20200831_232814400_iOS.jpg
    20200831_232814400_iOS.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 148

Thanks! This was much easier than I thought it would be. Bought a used set from a 2013 Fusion and installed one so far. Used an icepick and a ruler to find the hole in the frame and then opened the hole in the vinyl with an xacto knife.

Thanks! This was much easier than I thought it would be. Bought a used set from a 2013 Fusion and installed one so far. Used an icepick and a ruler to find the hole in the frame and then opened the hole in the vinyl with an xacto knife.
How much were the head rests?

I think I paid around $50 for the set. They are used but in good condition.

Here are some photos of the finished product...
Thanks @KayGee and @Dre these instructions were amazing, ordered the grommet guides you listed. Ordered a set of 2013 Fusion headrests. Took about 15 minutes with a measuring tape, box cutter and thin screwdriver. And walla got em in.
20220309_224321.jpg

I will admit, when I first very briefly looked into this, I stupidly believed all of the posts where people said it was not possible to install 2nd row headrests. I wonder how many others have wasted time and money unnecessarily replacing entire seats or interiors because of wrong information posted all these years.

It is a small amount of work to remove the seat cover/foam to cut the necessary holes in the seat cover/foam to allow the installation of the headrest guides. It took me about an hour to do all 3 in a 16 PIU. There is no need to remove the seats, it can be done by simply adjusting the seat forward or backward as needed.

Black headrest guides - need 3 of each
CU5Z-96610A16-BK
CU5Z-96610A16-BR

Headrests - you need to source these yourself - can be new or used - if new, I believe the headrest and the cover are sold separately - you can also buy any used headrest and new covers

The foam appears to be hog clipped to the seat cover, so you need to reach in to cut it, or you may be able to pull the cover back enough to expose the foam enough to cut it. A tool to remove auto push pins is helpful as there are a few securing the seat cover on the back side. Once you remove all the clips, the seat cover and foam can be pulled up and off the frame, just wiggle and move as needed until it comes off.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I didn't detail the entire process, because it went so quickly and it's pretty cold in MI right now.

Seat cover/foam removed from 60 side with guides partially installed to show the seat frame in PIU is provisioned for them - the guides will actually be installed last, through the seat cover. Be careful when testing fit while trimming the hole in seat cover that you don't fully snap them in place until the hole in the fabric is cut properly.
9XUBqsr.png

Holes cut in foam to allow guides to pass through.
WZkHwO3.png

Seat cover/foam removed from 40 side
gsaMVUL.png

Cut holes in foam to allow guides to pass through. Hard to make out in pic (faint circle on right side), but you may have a mark where the holes in the frame are to aid in cutting in the right spot.
Lo0kJ6N.png

Pic of headrests installed in 16 PIU.
ibacU0X.png
Will the guide pin model mentioned "CU5Z-96610A16-Bk" work in a 2014 PIU? Looking to add head rest to my second row of seats of my PIU.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
According to this site, they will work in the Interceptor sedan. Perhaps KayGee will know if they also fit the PIU.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome and the website reference. After going down the rabbit hole I believe they will work I found it under a different weblink, but the part is the same. Hopefully, I'll get to give this project a try in the upcoming weeks.

The headrest guides are pretty much the same for a lot of ford vehicles, so that should mean the post diameters are also the same, or they wouldn't fit in the guides. Go to ford parts and look up the guides to see all of the vehicle fitment info listed.

I haven't had an opportunity to try other headrests besides 2013+ fusion, but from my research, the below headrests appear to have the same post spacing as 5g explorer. I only looked at rear bench seating options with 3 headrest configuration, not headrests from second row bucket seats (which may be different post spacing). If anyone with a retail 5g explorer that also has one of these vehicles or access to one of them, and can confirm fitment and snap a pic, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

2013+ escape - center headrest posts are longer - not sure if they will work as is or would need to be cut shorter
2009-12 edge
2009-12 flex
I got set of 2009 Flex headrests for my 2015 PIU. They didn't work - posts too far apart. :(

Hard to find headrests in the black cloth. I'm wondering if any non-PIs had black cloth interiors.

Back