yet another 4x4 question need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yet another 4x4 question need advice

jdtractor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford sport trac 4.6
purchased a 96 explorer 142,000 miles, long story short heres my problem some times not all the time but sometimes while driving in 2wd my 4wd drives lights (both) come on and blink 2 or 3 times then never do it again, so tonight i stopped in a sand bed about a mile after the lights did it and locked it in 4x4 and it all works great? im going to change the transfer case fluid tomorrow, but i what im not understanding is why is the lights blinking in 2wd? Like i said ill change the fluid out tomorrow im sure it hasnt never been changed before since the guy i purchased it from still had factory spark plugs in it lol. Only thing ive noticed with the 4x4 is when you engage 4 low it makes the "clunk" sound engaging but ive heard alot of others truck do this, the 07 sport trac doesnt but seen plenty others that do. ive done a bunch of searching around on this site but nothing ive found adresses my question about it happening in 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clunk in 4 low is normal but the lights flash when there is a problem with the system.

yeah i know that but why is mine doing it in 2wd? i have the 2wd option on mine, and i always run in 2wd, its done it before with the key just turned on and not even running lol. im stumped on what it really could be

experienced this issue a time ago: check if the plugs are properly connected to the 4WD switch and not corroded. That was the culprit on mine....

figured i'd update just came out the garage, took all the sensors off the transfer case cleaned them some had some "sludge" on them, also noticed im takeing my best guess was the speed sensor as it had a spedo gear on it, the plug in connector had what appeared to be transfluid in it, not saying it was just what it looked like cleaned the connection with connection spray cleaner put everything back together along with a transfer case flush and refill so far no more 4x4 blinking lights! lol. drove it for 30 mins and its pouring rain here so i kept putting it in 4x4 auto once i hit the dirt road i lived on as its really muddy turned it off and road alittle ways and no blinking so hopefully its fixed! lol

after alot of riding yesterday they are back lol

question what makes the clunk sound when engaging 4x4 the front hubs locking or the transfer case?

for clarification: did you also check the connection at the selector 2WD 4WD high 4WD low in the dash? Bad connection there made 4WD lamp blink and engaged 4WD, that causes clunking on non slippery road....

its crazy it only does it every now and then, i may go 4 days before it does it agian, sometimes 4 weeks lol. sometimes it will do it when i just cut the key on (not cranking) just the key on, like today i was just going down the dirt road and i seen it popped up blinks 6 times then never does it agian, will probably be another day or week before i see it agian lol. I was just curious about when i lock it in low is the transfer case what makes the "clunk" when it locks in or the hubs? because sometimes it clunks when i hit low and sometimes it doesnt, but its still locking in 4x4 without the clunk just dont know if its in low or high.

update! my blinking 4x4 lights came from the power accessory relay, and my 4x4 low problems i do believe are coming from the shift motor, as i can get 4x4 auto just low sometimes and sometimes not.

Back