• Register Today It's free!

Yet another A4LD *****ing thread

ayyno

Reaction score
City, State
Blackwood, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
Okay, so my A4LD is going...again. August '09 I had it rebuilt by a reputable tranny shop near me...year warranty paid $1,200...about a month later it went again...then two months later again, so it was rebuilt 3 times in the last year or so, and now it is going again. I lost my 3-4 shift a little while ago...got that back now, but I'm slipping all over the place.

So essentially I'd like to discuss my options here...I need to buy some time, is it even worth trying to Lucas Transmission fix or something similar?

-Should I get it rebuilt again?
-Should I swap an M5OD in?(and where the hell do you guys find 5 speed X's?! can't find one around here for the life of me)
-Should I try rebuilding it myself? (have learned alot in the last 2 years or so and feel rather comfortable with a job of the magnitude...but transmissions make me nervous.

Anything you'd like to say...please say it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its still under warranty with the shop you need to have a chat with them about what theyre doing wrong.

If not, find a reputable shop and maybe youll get lucky.

Something is very wrong here. My tranny was rebuilt 50 thousand miles ago and runs perfectly. Either your reputable tranny shop is not living up to its reputation or you are beating the crap out of your X...These trannys can't take much abuse.

These trannies can take a bit of abuse..... don't talk about them like they are made of glass. Honestly, they aren't THAT bad of a transmission, they just don't stand up to a lot of serious off-roading and rock crawling with hugely oversized tires. If an explorer is just used on roads or light off-roading, you can easily get 200,000 miles out of them, even with a little towing and beating on it.

Go back to the transmission shop and ask them WTF is up. This shouldn't be happening unless you are really beating the ever loving piss out of it.

Make sure the shifting link and kickdown cable are adjusted properly when the trans goes back in. From what I understand, if these are off the valving in the trans will bypass fluid or not let proper fluid pressure be where it needs to be. I don't know which one it is or what it controls, but i know this is a critical adjustment, when installing the trans and its so easy to do.

I read about this in my factory shop manual when I put a replacment trans in my 94. I would assume a "reputable" shop would know this, and install it correctly but you never know what they do if you're not watching them do the work.

How is your trans failing? It could just be crappy cheap replacment parts.

I don't abuse it. It's my DD I have 31's on it, but it's a road driver not a crawler or anything.

And it's failing in the sense that it's starting to slip out of gear alot, I'll probably give the shop a call, although I am out of warranty now. Maybe they can give me a good price.

I am going to guess that for that price in NJ you didn't get a full rebuild.I would guess just clutch packs,bands and gaskets and some common A4ld problems are not getting fixed.:D

I am going to guess that for that price in NJ you didn't get a full rebuild.I would guess just clutch packs,bands and gaskets and some common A4ld problems are not getting fixed.:D

I'm betting you are right. That barely pays for a real rebuild in this part of the country where labor prices are lower.

Back