• Register Today It's free!

yet another AC R-12 thread 92 EXP

dmorris

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I am sure this has been covered but in the effort to not get lost wanted a new thread.

the question is this:

I have a 92 that is working ok but I know well eventually leak out R-12.

I was wondering if if makes since to go to the yard and get all the parts from a 93 or later if will bolt on. IIRC the 93 is when the 134a was used.

the main part I guess is the condenser but not sure about any of the mounting brackets or other little parts that would make fitting possible.

Guess a better way to put it is can I just by the compressor/condenser for a 93 and have it bolt right up (would buy new). same question for hoses/dryer/orifice tube.

I would hope the evap would be the same but perhaps not?

I don't remember the 1993 having r-134 from the factory.. Heck, I'm not even 100% positive the 1994 came with r-134 anymore as the one I've been pulling parts from (1994) had r-12 fittings..

With that said, The orig. suction hose on the 1991/1992 went around the back of the intake. I changed mine to the newer style (goes under the throttle body) which is what is used in 1993/1994 too..

AFAIK, you can use all the A/C parts from a 1994 on a 1992.. If not, I'll find out shortly as I'm replacing everything since our X has had black death for many years and it is to the point that the compressor isn't compressing well anymore.. From when we looked in the books, everything seemed to be the same between 1992 and 1994 other than the suction hose.

I'm getting a good deal (using a neighbor's shop account) and I'm paying about $550 for everything, with lifetime warranty (have to buy all from them to get the warranty). I'm talking, receiver/dryer, evap, condensor, orifice tube, hoses, o-rings, compressor and it even comes with oil.

As for the labor, I'll do that myself and I have an evacuator and manifold and a case of r-134 (I pay about $6 per can right now).

~Mark

Edit: I just checked a couple of capacity charts, and the 1991-1993 is listed as r-12 and 1994 is listed as r-134.. So, that 1994 I'm pulling parts from must be a very early 1994.

for some reason I thought it was 93, maybe I am thinking of when it went to full ABS, I remember something major as I was kicking myself after buying it (bought new back in 92).

If you don't mind pls post up what you run into (or if you have a thread I will just go there).

I am going to go junk yard hunting later maybe sat, its becoming a weekend ritual since getting back into messy with my truck. It fun finding all the little bits needed to get it back into shape.

whilst poking about under the hood, I noted a broken vacuum hose. comes off a T looking fitting that has one side to the manifold the other to some kind of plastic storage tank, mounted to the outside evaporator cover. I did a little poking around and found a broken hose extending out of a wire harness (that seems dumb) that plugs into what I presume is the blower motor dropping resistor.

I am thinking of just buying some new hose and re routing outside the harness OR trying to come up with a junction to tie into the existing stub on the harness. The down side to that is the existing harness tube breaks very easy so it prob would at best be a temp thing.

ok back from testing, that was the hose for the recirculate solenoid. I temp connected with some hose that would fit over the existing parts, but still need to decide a perm fix.

Back