Yet another car accident.. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Yet another car accident..

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Dang it, I'm getting tired of this.

It was not my fault this time; me and my wife was driving home in the Prius C from Richmond to Pinole on east-bound I80 in rush hour traffic, and the traffic was doing the rubber band thing (speed up, slow down; speed up, slow down). Someone was following too close behind another car, couldn't slow down fast enough, and tapped them, which proceeded to tap into our car's rear bumper.

My wife and the driver of the car that hit us have never been in an car accident, and was getting freaked out ("What do we do? What?").

Unfortunately, the rear bumper fascia on the Prius is damaged, and I have no idea what damage is underneath. I'm a little afraid, the other insurance carrier is Progressive..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
Collisions always suck, but at least you're all ok, and the other insurance carrier isn't Allstate.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Ahhh that sucks :( Hope it all gets squared away quickly.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Collisions always suck,.

Hog wash.

Collisions are GREAT.

But I am seeing it from a different POV.

T- I dont care if their insurance is Progressive. ( yes they are among the worst, but you are the claimant. THEIR policy holder hit YOU can cause damage to your otherwise immaculate car.
If you have not done so already WASH the car but be cautious not to wash off any scratches and scuff marks.
The better kept and "loved" your car is the better leg you have to stand on and get a higher level of repair.

Post a coupla pics for me if you dont mind.

tdavis

Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Hog wash.

Collisions are GREAT.

But I am seeing it from a different POV.

T- I dont care if their insurance is Progressive. ( yes they are among the worst, but you are the claimant. THEIR policy holder hit YOU can cause damage to your otherwise immaculate car.
If you have not done so already WASH the car but be cautious not to wash off any scratches and scuff marks.
The better kept and "loved" your car is the better leg you have to stand on and get a higher level of repair.

Post a coupla pics for me if you dont mind.

Progressive is already fighting it (claiming that a third party is at fault).

I filed a claim with CSAA (AAA), and they are going to handle it. My deductible is only $250; the damage quote is sitting at $1100 without removing the cover.

https://plus.google.com/photos/118308876259664909109/albums/5920557817617305793

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
No matter who started the chain reaction, I would argue that the person behind you was following too close to avoid an accident. Their fault...

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
It's nearly impossible in Georgia to place fault on a person that gets hit in the rear. The reasoning is that the person behind was not driving at a safe distance, no matter the situation.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
that really does look superficial. That said it is surprising how much can be hidden by those plastic bumper covers.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
If you have AAA, then just let them know, get your car fixed and forget about it. I have had AAA for the past 25 years and have never had an issue with a claim. I had a accident when someone cut into the side of my car a few years ago. He said he was real sorry, then proceeded to tell his insurance company (GIECO) that I hit him. AAA said not to worry, and I did not have to pay anything since it was the other guy's fault. No deductible, no nothing. Never heard anything else about if GIECO paid. I have got to the point where I don't even speak to the other guy's insurance company, I just call AAA and let them figure it out.

They just replaced both windshields in the RV when they cracked due to hundred mile per hour winds in New Mexico while the levelers were down (no movement to take the strain of the wind slamming into the coach). They paid all except my $250 deductible on a $1750.00 bill.

Having spent several weeks up in San Francisco, I can see why you have had more than you share of accidents. The people up here are some the worst drivers I have ever encountered.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Having spent several weeks up in San Francisco, I can see why you have had more than you share of accidents. The people up here are some the worst drivers I have ever encountered.

Try a trip to Memphis....haha actually dont and just go somewhere else. We lived in Memphis for two years and it is terrible. Not to count the roads are horrible as well. Five flats on four of the mustang tires. All because of the roads.

However with that said you should have had this accident in TN. We have no fault to the person hit in the rear not matter what.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
that really does look superficial. That said it is surprising how much can be hidden by those plastic bumper covers.

Char was rear ended hard in the Corolla and the person that hit her took off. Char got the license plate number and a description of the driver. The cop who wrote up the accident said it was less than $500 because all he could see was bumper cover damage. Turned out to be over $2000 worth of damage.

Since the accident was written up as <$500 damage the cops never went after the hit and run driver. We never had the damage fixed since I didn't want to take the hit on our insurance.

The joys owning cars.. Gotta love it:rolleyes:

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Char was rear ended hard in the Corolla and the person that hit her took off. Char got the license plate number and a description of the driver. The cop who wrote up the accident said it was less than $500 because all he could see was bumper cover damage. Turned out to be over $2000 worth of damage.

Since the accident was written up as <$500 damage the cops never went after the hit and run driver. We never had the damage fixed since I didn't want to take the hit on our insurance.

The joys owning cars.. Gotta love it:rolleyes:

The key is knowing where to look ;)

tdavis

Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
CSAA sent an letter to me yesterday, stating that the other driver/parties are at fault, and they are going to attempt recovery of all expenses..

The bumper cover showed up in under 2 days to the auto body shop, and we are going to take it in next week.

tdavis

Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
See how easy that was?

The other parties fault has not been determined yet, so I still have to pay out until the funds are recovered. Nobody can sue until damages are repaired and paid for.

Luckily, according the body shop, the only damage was two holes punched in the cover. They have the prius now, and should be done later today..

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
When I got rear ended in the 150 they guy that hit me said he was pushed later, which was total BS. He had Mercury and they said he was defiantly pushed because there was damage to the rear.....on a cargo van...for a printing company.....that backs up to docks everyday..:eek: Really? They totally walked and AAA (mine) wasn't going to do anything because the other driver wasn't at fault, and I didn't get a make, model or plate from the mysterious 3rd car... that was I didn't see....behind it was behind a full size cargo van...and drove away...apparently:rolleyes:

any way long story short, I got a lawyer, and AAA paid for the whole thing...which there own dam fault for not fighting I think.

Truck ended up having $4500 damage to it.:(

Sorry to here tom, hope you get it back soon..