yet another crash

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
my truck was vandalized a few weeks ago and needed the passenger door repainted. i got it back yesterday.

today i was heading out of the coldisac and passing a row of parked cars. one of the cars was aparently occupied and the girl flung her door open into my truck (which was doing a grand total of 10-15 mph). the door struck my fender, got wedged between the fender/door seem and flipped backwards crumpling the fender, and gouging the newly repainted door. Tupperware and my rear view was totally ripped off and the cars stopped in such a way i had to drive forward to clear the scene, further gouging the paint all the way to the tail lamp. :(

girl stated it was her fault, but her dad came out of the house, called the cops and instructed her to tell them i drove into her. since the first strike of the door was PAST my front axle, i' don't see how i could have avoided the accident.

Anyway, damages are probably going to be in th 1000-2000 range. i was just about to lift the rig too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Accidents suck thats for sure. I would make sure to note she admited fault up front before 'coached' by her dad. If it hit past you're front axle I would guess she should get a majority of the fault, but sometimes just being there puts you partialy at fault.

Can't believe how people just throw open their doors without looking.

Best of luck to you on getting it all resolved.

-Matt

that sucks..... whose fualt was it? if hers, she will be paying for your replacement

bugger man . I hit a guys car the other day ,he stopped a bit suddenly and i clipped the back of his car well i must have scared the hell out of him after a bit he gets out and says: its fine dont worry about it. just popped his bumper out, mine nothing

Seems like the only thing that decides who is at fault is the mood of the insurance adjuster...

It's the parked car's fault, 100%. You can not block on coming traffic. Plain and simple.

well the girl insurance agency called me. they are seeking damages! I filed with my carrier today and will get pics of it up sometime this week. the fender and all the tupperware is totaled, the door seems pretty intact, but will need to be sandblasted and repainted to ensure there is no pitting from the gouges. needs a new mirror too.

Just curious, do origonal ford parts from the factory come painted? what about the tupperware? thats molded in color right?

Also, when new parts are put on, do the bolt-holes start to rust if they are not repainted like they are at the factory?

i need to keep the body solid and am worried about possible corrosion further down the line.

Never Ends!!

I was just about to lift mine also... Then the clutch had to be replaced. I hate stupid people, I mean why would you open your door into traffic without looking!! Thats just plain ignorant. I dunno, afterall it was a girl ;)

Originally posted by unabonked
Just curious, do origonal ford parts from the factory come painted?

I believe they come primed

the repairer should warrenty his own work when the back window broke i took it back 18 months later to tell them the rear window was leaking and they fixed it

well the girl insurance agency called me. they are seeking damages!

WHAT?!?!?!?!? That's really messed up!!! What did the cop say about this?? The insurance can't ask for any damages until they look at the police report. I wish you luck man!!

well the girl insurance agency called me. they are seeking damages!

Of course they are. Its their job. Even if they are at fault i'm sure they would 'try to seek damages.' Just don't give in, document the incident, get the police report, and give it all to your insurance agency. I really do not see how you could be at fault on this one....

yeah, what's it say on the police report? I'm sorry, but something like that is OBVIOUSLY the parked cars fault. If the cops said otherwise, I would seriously go to court about it.

Liability goes to the girl.
There are steps and procedures to exiting your vehicle into a throughway.

All ford parts come prime.

Take it to a shop that stands by their work. They are out there just look around.
My shop warrents the work as long as you own the vehicle.
( not that I expect you to drive down to Maryland, I was just giving an example )

Fatory parts, the sheet metal, does not come painted or primed, just a flat black. Although some trim pieces and moldings do come paint to match. Good luck, if it was past your front axle then almost anyone should be able to assess the situation and find tha it was her who is at fault. BTW was she cute??

It does not really matter how she exited her car. If her door blocked on coming traffic, she's at fault. Exact same thing happened to my wife, only she was the one who openned the door. It was a completely her fault according to our insurance company. It didn't matter that the guy was driving inches away from parked cars.

in Jersey

My Aunt open her door it to trafic and it got riped back. she asked my if she was at fault. I thought she would be but to our surprise The officer said that the van that hit her was at fault because she was not moving and vehical was shut off.

It don't matter one bit what the cop said..It's the insurance company that decides

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gotta fight with them. The insurance company is their to serve you. Once your insurance talks to her insurance and after they both read the police report and get statements you'll be fine. It's just a HUGE hassle! :mad:

I'm getting pissed just writing this because I'm going through the same damn thing! I haven't seen my X in 2 months now fighting to get my truck back the way it was before it got hit. The dude that hit us admited fault on the scene as well. Luckily I had a few people their to back up his statement so when he tried to back out like I figured he would later on I just got the insurance company to take staements from those people. Good luck man! I hope everything works out for you...

Back