Yet another Explorer recall | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another Explorer recall

I replaced one of the links on my 96. Do any one of you know if they will refund for the expense?, at least a refund for the part.
Originally posted by Stephen
They'll have it on record you can just take it in whenever you're ready.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to the dealer on Monday, didn't have a recall notice, but they pulled up the recall info and checked out my truck. The service manager said that mine was ok because the links had different date codes or part numbers. So, when I get the recall notice, I will go to another dealer and reuest that they be replaced.

My passenger side broke and I reaplaced it. They also told me it was a new design. That was about 6-7 months ago. I hope they give me a refund and put a new one one the drivers side.

my dealer says no...

My Explorer went in for inspection today so I asked them to check the recall status for it. They ran the VIN number and said there were NO OPEN RECALLS for my vehicle. With a '97 XLT I thought for sure I was in for either the Sway Bar or the Cruise Control recalls...but I guess not.

Component: SUSPENSION
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Mfg. Campaign #: 00S47
Year: 1997
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: EXPLORER
Potential Number of Units Affected: 810000
Manufactured From: To: OCT 1996
Year of Recall: '00
Type of Report: Vehicle
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Sport utility vehicles. Under certain conditions, a front stabilizer bar link stud can fracture from bending fatigue.

Vehicle handling could be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will install 10mm front left and right stabilizer bar links. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2000. Owners who take their
vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at
1-800-392-3673. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236).

I have an appointment this Friday to have my “sway bar” issue fixed. The recall notice said that if you already fixed the problem (and still have the receipt) you can get a refund from Ford.

I got the same one the other day..gonna call the dealer tomorrow morning. My dealer has been nothing but great with me so hopefully the trend continues!

Well, the last few days, I noticed my front end a little loose. I figured it was from all the snow caked up underneath. This evening i'm driving on the highway and when I changed lanes, I felt the front end wobble. Now I jerk the wheel left and right, guess what....I had lost a swaybar link. I had to go to Pepboys any way so when I get there, I look underneath and my right swaybar link is gone. I head over to the dealer that checked out my truck a few weeks ago and told the service rep what was going on. She looked up the recall notice as well as the info from when I was there before. She said that what the tech did was run my vin in the master computer and it told the tech that I wasn't affected.

So now she felt bad becasue 3-4 weeks later, i'm back because of the recall(now i'm affected). She was very nice and put me in for 8 am, so thats where I shall be. The customer service rep even said that she felt bad and that she would complain to Ford. Then she said that she was surprised that I wasn't pissed off becuase she would have been if it was her. I said that it's no big deal as long as I don't pay for it, but if I had gotten into an accident because of this problem...then I would be pissed. Well, I'll keep you guys advised.

Am I suppose to receive a recall notice from Ford about this?? I still haven't received it yet. If I'm suppose to receive a mailing from Ford, when will I receive it? Thanks.

This endlink recall is funny because last year I replaced the right end link on my mothers 95 explorer 4x4 the day before I rolled it due to a blowout by a Firestone tire. Just think if I would not have replaced it I could have fied a law suit against Ford and Firestone.

I never got a recall notice, but as soon as I found out about it, I went to the dealer and told them I wanted to have my truck checked out. They have the recall info anyway.

They replaced my links free of charge...Heres the catch (from what I was told)... According to Ford, the dealer is to --
1)Run the Vin# in the mainframe to see if the date code of the truck coincides with the recall.
2)Replace the end links ONLY if they are broken.

Originally posted by EMStaxi
They replaced my links free of charge...Heres the catch (from what I was told)... According to Ford, the dealer is to --
1)Run the Vin# in the mainframe to see if the date code of the truck coincides with the recall.
2)Replace the end links ONLY if they are broken.

Are you saying that your links were broken?

The recall notice I got from Ford says nothing about replacing them only if they are broken. I think this guy was mistaken. Maybe he meant that if your truck was not on the recall list but your links were broken to go ahead and replace them free.

Just a thought.

When I intially wentwhich was about a month ago, the service manager only told me that mine were not affect because of the date code. At that time, they were intact. Last week, one of them had broke, so I went back to the dealer and a different customer service rep, explained it further to me....I never got the notice, for whatever reason, I'm guessing because of the post office. I just got a letter the other day about upgrading the OBD-II. the letter was dated 12/2000.

I have not yet recieved a recall notice for my '95. I am in the process of putting new Reflex shocks on it. What do I notice? The driver's side link has a hairling crack running halfway through it. I'm kind of worried about this! Should I just go ahead and take it to a dealer before I get the notice?

By all means, take it to the dealer whether you have recieved the notice or not. They will run the VIN and preform the recall whether you have been notified or not. If you see a crack, it WILL happen soon. Its not all that big a deal when it goes, but it makes the truck unstable and uncomfortable to drive.

I just got my recall notice today, it is kind of a suprise to me. I guess I should keep my eye on this forum more often. I am making an appointment to get it fixed later this week. Hope I make it until then...

I called Ford the other day and had them run my VIN...they said that none of the recalls apply to my truck...I don't know whether I feel better or not. I would rather have them recalled and replaced than to wonder if mine might fail anyway....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tim, Even if they fail you wont be in any real danger, but you will know it when they do. Just take it in then and try and make them pay for it.

Back