Yet another headlight complaint..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another headlight complaint.....

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
I have a 2013 XLT. I've read most every thread about poor headlight performance. I did the 9005-to-9011 upgrade. Yes they are brighter. But my question for today (not looking for an LED, HID, etc discussion), is why do the high beams light up the tops of trees, a good 30-40+ feet up in the air, and have more of a vertical light pattern than horizontal, like the low beams cutoff? Considering upgrading to a highly recommended LED bulb, but if the pattern is going to be the same with the high beams lighting up the sky, I'll pass. Changing bulbs with the same projector lens guts seems pointless. Thanks again.....
BTW, I read about recalibrating the high beam flapper thing, but can't see that being the issue, and have no clue how to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low beams:
low beams.JPG

High beams:
high beams.JPG

Both about 25' from the wall. Would love to know if this is the same beam pattern you folks have with OEM halogens. High beam seems way too high. At 25' it seems high. Beyond that, I pretty much light up tree tops. Thanks!

There are many posts about lighting up the treetops. Appears to be normal. I had the same thing with the HID in my 2011 Limited.

Peter

Hey all, my first post on the forum. Just bought a used 2014 Explorer Limited with 91K miles a few days ago. Last night was my first night run and I noticed that the projector headlights had a really odd beam pattern. They had vertical lines that shined into the trees when on high beam only. When put against the garage door the lines were distinct, and a few feet apart. It's very distracting when driving, however would be great for Coon hunting. :) Has anyone experienced this before?

My 14 Sport (with halogen bulbs) do the same.
The low beam is good, but when the shutter opens for high beams, birds 50 feet in the trees get blinded.
It still shines down the road, but also shine way up as well.

Do you have factory halogen or HID headlights?

Hey all, my first post on the forum. Just bought a used 2014 Explorer Limited with 91K miles a few days ago. Last night was my first night run and I noticed that the projector headlights had a really odd beam pattern. They had vertical lines that shined into the trees when on high beam only. When put against the garage door the lines were distinct, and a few feet apart. It's very distracting when driving, however would be great for Coon hunting. :) Has anyone experienced this before?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one discussing the same issue.
That sounds normal to me. Many members remarked on that same thing when the first got their Explorer. Your Owner's Manual shows the pattern that you should have.

Peter

Back