Yet another liftgate lock thread... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another liftgate lock thread...

Explorer Buff

Reaction score
City, State
Middleford, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4.0
Sorry guys I've read through about 15 liftgate threads on here trying to find what I'm looking for and I can't find it.

While fixing the liftgate latch which had seized I was trying to diagnose the problem and removed the liftgate lock from the back of my 2001 XLT. After I put everything back together I found that I apparently did not put the yellow clip back on the rod that connects the lock itself to the locking mechanism the same way as before. My liftgate actuator is shot (makes the noise as if firing but doesn't move) so that's the only way to lock/unlock my liftgate. My issue is I can unlock it but when I go to lock it the clip just slides down the rod (obviously I have it on the wrong way). Does anyone have a picture (or can describe it) of how this rod goes into this clip? Thanks a lot as always in advance! :salute:

Buff

Alright I figured it out (when I went to the junkyard to get a new actuator). The piece that sticks down needs to go INSIDE the yellow piece that mounts onto the rod. So if anyone else is dense about this, there's your answer. Thanks a lot! :salute:

Back