• Register Today It's free!

(Yet another) Plug question

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
Sorry. I searched and nothing viable came up.

Okay, so I get the gist that Autolite or Motorcraft are the best plugs to use. However, finding them locally is really hard, or extremely expensive (from dealer). Locally I can find Bosch (mostly platnium), Champion, AC Delco, and NGK.

Are there other options? If Autolite or MC is still the ebst, is standard better or platinum/irridium an option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plugs

i have bosh platinum in mine ,been in about a year.

For some reason, these Ford engines do not like Bosch spark plugs. If you can't find Motorcraft or Autolite, get the NKG's (platinum or double platinum, gapped to .054) should work fine.

I did find a place locally that can get in Autolite within a day, so that's good. Any suggestions for plug and gap?

I did find a place locally that can get in Autolite within a day, so that's good. Any suggestions for plug and gap?

Autolite's work great (same as Motorcraft except for the nickel coating). I just told you, gap = .054. I use Autolite double platinum in my trucks as they're easier to find locally.

Tip: When gapping the plugs, be careful not to scrap the platinum coating off.

Wanted to make sure that was the right gap. I read elsewhere that the NGK's were too cold of a temp range so I wasn't sure if that was specific to them or not.

The best plug for our engines (waste spark system) is NGK Laser Iridium.

Okay, just double checking on this because I thought I had read in other posts that the Exp's didn't do well with other plugs besides Autolite or MC?

Autolite's work great (same as Motorcraft except for the nickel coating). I just told you, gap = .054. I use Autolite double platinum in my trucks as they're easier to find locally.

Tip: When gapping the plugs, be careful not to scrap the platinum coating off.
Ditto, since you can get Autolite's within a day. Why stray from OEM plugs that are PROVEN to perform well for so long?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=55279&cc=1119631&jnid=490&jpid=20

So out of curiosity, why the double platinum over the single platinum?

So for the dollar difference, should I just go with Irridium or stick with the DP as this is what it's designed for?

At least I know I can get these locally now.

Ditto, since you can get Autolite's within a day. Why stray from OEM plugs that are PROVEN to perform well for so long?

And proven to separate because they cheapen out on anti-seize coating and because they have shorter thread?
To quote JoeDirt:
"Ahhh the Jesus plug. I can hear the angles singing now..." :)

JoeDirt was right about Bosch 4 ground plugs, not fitted for our slow burning chambers. But you are just wrong here.
The dual platinum was state-of-the-art in late 80's early 90's. Now every manufacturer switched to fine tip plugs as their OE, their long term advantages are proven.
See this educational videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N-7WGfnKHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVQhKhxBzA
Will the dual platinum still work? Sure.
Will a fine wire (tip) plug perform better (at any engine load, including in start-and-stop traffic) and protect the coils and wires on long term (by lowering the arc voltages)? Definitely.
Will the NGK Laser or Autolite XP protect the ground strap on reverse fire (DIS) due to the platinum on the ground electrode? Definitely.

s4.png

P1020124.png

A pic of my Laser Iridium plugs (sorry I didn't think to take one of the Autolite XP's):
P1080977.png

SoNic - Sometimes good enough is good enough. The Motorcraft/Autolite double platinum plugs are good enough for a daily driver and will probably last longer than the rest of the truck. You taut better performance with the iridium plugs. Will I get a noticeable improvement in fuel economy or horse power? No. will they last longer? Yes, but do I need them to last longer? No. You seem to be in the minority with your opinion on this subject. I suggest you (and the OP) use whatever you're comfortable with. JMHO.

Being it's a daily driver/kid taxi I don't need anything super fancy, BUT I also want the best plug designed for the vehicle. After learning about the DIS, I now know why my First gen has been having issues with the current set of plugs. Since we all know how much "fun" is it to change the plugs in these vehicles, anything I don't have to change frequently is fine with me!

Since I'm also going to be forking out $9 to $12 per plug, I want to make sure my choice is going to be the BEST choice. Autolite Double Platinum is looking like it, but also why I'm asking about the iridium is only because it's a mere dollar difference between that and the double platinum.

If everyone's consensus is the DP's, then the DP's it shall be.

Sure, put DP in there for one $ less. And because some dude on net said "that's good enough".
I even posted two videos by people that make the plugs that explain why iridium is a better choice.

But... who cares about protecting the aging coils and wires with lower arc voltage, who cares that in stop and go traffic you get a more complete burn (short and long term O2 sensor trims will adjust the fuel injected to lesser values accordingly)...

So I should listen to you on the net instead if some other dude on the net? Odd...

Besides, I'm taking the coil out of my first gen that's only a couple years old and swapping it, and pretty sure plug wires don't last 20 years. So is age really an issue then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I should listen to you on the net instead if some other dude on the net? Odd...

Besides, I'm taking the coil out of my first gen that's only a couple years old and swapping it, and pretty sure plug wires don't last 20 years. So is age really an issue then?

LMAO, That was my exact thought as well.

Back