Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Published: 21 November 2000
Robert Lane

Ford Motor Company will issue yet another stop sale on the all new Ford Escape. This brings the total to five. Safety recall number OOS49 is for certain 2001 Model Year Escape Vehicles - Windshield Wiper Module Inspection and Possible Replacement.

The recall if for Escape models made from 22 October 1999 through 16 November 2000. The affected vehicles may have a potential safety issue with the windshield wiper system. A certain portion of the vehicle population may experience inoperative wipers.

Service inspection/repair instructions and parts requirements for Safety Recall 00S49 are currently under development. A date for when the parts will be made available is unknown.

Dealerships are instructed to not drive, demonstrate or deliver any vehicles affected by this recall until inspection and repairs can be performed.
-------------
I would really be afraid to buy one of these things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats ok

I don't really care for the escape anyway. its like a ford based rav4.. which, being a ford makes it a ton better, but it just looks too dinky to me

i kinda like it from the front, but from the back, it looks too much like a grand cherokee, or dodge minivan. i sat in one of the escapes and a mazda tribute, and they seemed way cheap on the inside. also a little overpriced and the four wheel drive is only an assisted front wheel drive system.

Originally posted by NoBoundaries
Wow, good thing the Explorer never had a wiper problem like that.;) When will Ford learn?!:rolleyes:

LOL, nobody else got that ;)

that was rude of me

ya know, I thought about what I said earlier.. that sounded awful negative of me.. I mean, it is part of the ford suv family.. maybe I should accept it alittle more.. heh, besides, they're not gonna cancel manufacturing just because I don't like it :p

Originally posted by Stephen
Originally posted by NoBoundaries
Wow, good thing the Explorer never had a wiper problem like that.;) When will Ford learn?!:rolleyes:

LOL, nobody else got that ;)

Yes they did :p

We're just being nice. WOW.....that's a first.

If you guys think the Escape is small wait until you see the SUV based on the Focus that Ford is planning on. Now that will be small! Regarding the recalls... I'd much prefer they fess up and solve these problems now instead of waiting 'til we all own one and people have died from the problem and they deny there's a problem and then eventually do a total hassle recall. Like some tire company we know.

The thing about the Notorious Wiper Problem is that Ford only recalled 98'+ or 99'+ model's. I just don't understand how they can admit the problem at one end and look the other way at the other. It just makes me sick that I have a $900 hole in my pocket and Ford's laughing all the way to the bank with it. I just don't see how they get away with it. There would had to have been tons of complaints about the wipers, you figure a recall for some would through up a red flag to examine other years and models. I wanted to see Ford held over the fire with the Firestone recall, hoping that it would be a kick in the head to let them know that they actually have customers who are people and things just can't come down to a dollar amount. Ok, I'll cut myself off now before this becomes a page long post.:frustrate::fire:

FORD:shoot:

Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Escape

I vividly remember what the Ford Engineer told me at the "No Boundaries eXperience" show about the Escape, when I asked why it doesn't have a low range. He said " IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE AN OFF ROAD VEHICLE." As I Posted in another category in my comments about the show: "Escape What???? DUH!!!" So those of you expecting great things from the Escape, it truly is a car meant for the Soccer Moms. Remember, probably Less than !% of the Explorers, as well as other SUV's in the U.S. ever get used the way we use our vehicles.

Also, My Daddy (an ex-Ford Dealer) always told me: NEVER EVER buy the first year model of any new or "re-engineered" vehicle. They way many problems are found is by the level of warranty experience they (Ford) have with various components. They definitely track these things, and when they notice an unusual number of complaints about an item, they then re-engineer those components. Back when I worked in the Biz, Dealers had to save replaced warranteed parts for a time period, I believe it used to be 90 days, in case Ford wanted to examine them. We got many requests to ship certain defective parts to a Ford test center for evaluation. Remember, Ford, as are nearly all car manufacturers today, is largly an assembler of parts and pieces made by other suppliers, who may or may not be making them up to the Car Manufacturers specifications. These saved warranty parts are the way Ford checks on their own components and designs, but also the way they keep their suppliers "honest". In spite of pre production testing, It often takes a year or so for problems to ,show up and be corrected.

And, Oh yeah, NoBoundaries, at the risk of being sarcastic (Who me?) perhaps you would be much happier selling your Fords and trying some other Brand. Those of us who feel We have had very good luck with our Fords (excpet for that Damn carburated turbocharged '79 Mustang I had a few years back) don't necessarily share your opinions. ;) Remember, Firestone is just another of those hundreds of suppliers that didn't tell Ford that they had a problem).

Don't get me wrong Ray, I love my Explorer, it's Ford, and mainly their dealers that I have a problem with. I, and many other members here have had problems with local dealers showing complete lack of concern for their customers. We are on our 2nd Explorer in my family and I can't imagine having any other SUV. I can't imagine not having an Explorer. But you reach a point of frustration, when a company with big pockets doesn't live up to it's commitment to the customer. Ford has continuously displayed such lack of concern. With the recent timing chain tensioner problem, Ford didn't recognize or own up to the problem, but they conveniently created a nice expensive solution to their loyal customers. Wow Ford, your the greatest. Things go wrong with vehicles, I and everyone else knows that, but when you display blatent disregard or care about a problem, it upsets me, let alone the fact of making a rather attractive buck off of it. $900 bought me labor, a GEM module, and a new multifunction switch, this a correction many of us have gone through, and do you think Ford knows nothing about it, eventhough it is now a recall on the late model Explorers and now the Escapes. You may recall the thread, "Loyal Followers or Royal Suckers." I think everyone had an issue they brought up, it may not be directed at the vehicle persay, but it certainly dealt directly towards dealers and Ford itself. And believe me, we had talked about the Firestone tire problem for about year here. Many members took their Firestones of their trucks and held them waiting for a recall months before the problem was know nationally. And we know that Ford looks at this site every once in a while. I have trouble believing Ford never knew about Firestone Tires. The Firestone Tire recall is merely another example of numerous problems that have not been recognized because they are not a direct danger or issue of safety, at least anything which is news worthy. I think the Firestone recall was a good wake-up call for Ford, and I think that is why they have stopped production and selling of the Escape so many times. They have realized that it all isn't a buck, you actually have to get it right. They know they have eyes on them now and they are making sure they are getting it right the first time around, and good for them. Here's to better products from Ford, and better customer relations as well. I am a Ford Fan, but I am damned if I am going to be put through a run around. My belief is that things will get better, I am confident as a consumer and a person who cares very much about the product and the company with which I buy from. Just my 2 cents. Just as a note, this is my opinion in general and is not directed at you Ray, I apologize for any errors in spelling and grammar.;)

Apathy is job one.;)

[Edited by NoBoundaries on 11-26-2000 at 06:20 PM]

zensius,
I thought the Escape was based on the Focus.
As an aside, about 6 weeks ago I was in Canada. My brother is thinking of getting another vehicle and since I like my Sport, we went to a Ford dealer to just at look them. This was on a Sunday and the dealerships are closed (at least in Ontario). They did have a couple Escapes on the lot along with a variety of Explorers. To my surprise, the sticker on an Escape was about the same as a Sport. The Escape might have had a couple extra options, but nothing really expensive.
Since I'm not in the market for another vehicle I haven't bothered to check sticker prices around here.
The only reason I could see getting an Escape over a Sport (if the price is just about even) is if you absolutely require 4 doors. I don't think a couple mpg would justify it for me.

Dealers

NoBoundaries,

I definitely agree, that generally speaking, Ford's dealer network is the weak link. I grew up in the Ford business in a small town in Maine. (My Dad, Uncle, and later my cousins operated a dealership there since 1953. The area is rural, so rural in fact, they eventually became a FL-M (Ford Lincoln-Mercury) dealership. There are only a handfdul of those in the U.S. As there was a limited customer base, and lots of competition, every customer was important and we did our best to keep them happy. I moved to So. CA after leaving the Service in 1972 and have had some pretty poor experiences with the Mega- Dealerships who could care less if they ever see you again, there are so many other fish in the sea. I have had to call the Ford District customer service folks a few times when the local dealer was giving me a run around. That worked pretty well, but I shouldn't have had to resort to that. Part of the problem is the fact that Ford doesn't retain as much control or leverage over their dealers as other Mfg's do. It's a contractural thing, that I understand they're trying to correct with new dealerships, but an older dealership has pretty free reign, with only local market forces dictating their customer service practices.

BTW, I graduated from the U of MD, College Park in 1969, and back then, as I remember, Your area wasn't densely populated, but that may have changed with mega-dealers serving large populations like we have here, with bad customer service. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to be a PITA (Pain In The Ass) to the Service people to get what is right. I've had a couple of meetings with the Service Managers, and even with the General Managers and Owners themselves, as well as Calling the District Office, as I said above.

I also generally do my own work, or go to a couple of independents I can trust for out of warranty work.

Overall, though, given the price I pay originally for my Ford vehicles, and the subsequent repair costs, I 've had as good luck with my Fords as almost anyone I know with any other vehicle. Sure, some of my Mercedes driving friends have fewer problems, and the service people kiss their butts, but they pay three times as much to purchase, and at least that when they do have to have anything done, so $ for $, I'm as well or better off than they are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to say I agree with you 100%. I think Ford makes a pretty good truck. I have heard of the 4.0L getting up to 400,000 original miles with good care, not many engines are that capable, unless of course they are diesel or some high end car. Like I said, I love my truck and I can't imagine living without it, it's a great vehicle, and I think I will get more then my money's worth out of it. I'd like to see Ford at some point match the quality of their product with a commitment to their customer, and I think they are getting better with it.

BTW, this area has grown quite a bit. Things have made a big change since 1969. Don't know if you have ever been done to Old Ellicott City, but it is still a great little town. I had a couple family members who graduated for UMCP, including my sister. Good school.:)

Back