Yet another tick, tick tick | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Yet another tick, tick tick

stevem

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost, but I think I posted to a dead thread - so here goes again.
I got in my explorer one day and the thing just started ticking at 95K miles (parked on a steep hill like MichaelF described, hood pointed down) From that day on, and for the past 3 years, I hear about 3 of them (lifters) ticking. They tick in a kind of cycling pattern. It will tick progressively louder for several seconds then stop for several seconds. This cycle repeats - like the oil is getting pounded out of them, then suddenly, they refill or unstick. As the engine warms up, they get better, but still tick. One thing I came across on message boards for another engine is the possibility of a spun cam bearing, partially obstructing the oil to the lifters. Does anybody know if the oil for the lifters on a 1991 4.0 goes through the cam bearing(s), or can leak enough to kill the pressure to the lifters? I tried motor flush, and it actually sounds better while I'm running the flush, but the ticking returns as soon as I refill with regular oil. This leads me to believe that there is some kind of obstruction in an oil passage. I refuse to believe that I had 3 lifters go "bad" in one day, all at the same time.