You know you want to give me your opinion, tow hooks on a mountianeer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You know you want to give me your opinion, tow hooks on a mountianeer

whdahel

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer <--- 5.0
I have searched all oer this wonderfull site, however I have had no luck. I am looking for a pic or some one who has installed tow hooks on the front of a 98 Mountianeer. I have found pics of earlier year xploders n stuff but no mountianeer's. I would like to do it with out hacking up the front plastic. I havent had any good ideas yet on how I will do it, but it will be done. I seen the hooks off of a z71 and I think they would make nice hooks, If only I could figure out where to put them.... Does any 1 have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah id also like to see that...

How about this:

towshackle_003_Small_.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169514

Get a front mounted frame hitch from etrailer.com and get a shackle mount like mine. Bullet proof and can get a winch mount later if you want.

I made a bracket to mount mine on. But it no longer fits because of the push bumper I have on it now.

2063841_15_full.jpg

2063841_18_full.jpg

That frame is sweet, you say it no longer fit eh. Interested in possibly selling it? You fabbed that all on your own? I never knew they made a front hitch frame for explorers or mountianeers. Any more ideas? Thanks every 1

That frame is sweet, you say it no longer fit eh. Interested in possibly selling it? You fabbed that all on your own? I never knew they made a front hitch frame for explorers or mountianeers. Any more ideas? Thanks every 1

I might sell it, but shipping would get you. I've got a skid plate that mounts to it, you can kind of see it in the bottom pict but it's pretty dark. Basically I made it from old bailer parts that we had laying around, thats why it was green before it was painted. It wasn't too hard. I made the whole thig in an afternoon along with the skidplate. It does kinda suck to install, it's a pretty tight fit up in there.

I plan on doing something similar to mountaineergreens eventually, but I'm way to busy right now. (getting married friday :salute: )

here's the skid plate. It's steel diamond decking stuff

2063841_16_full.jpg

Kert, you better get to building now- wives don't like time and money spent working on trucks. She may say she is ok with it now, but put that second ring on her finger and its down hill from there..............

Just kidding, Congratulations! Getting married is one of the best things I've done- a good woman in your life is a great thing.

Kert, you better get to building now- wives don't like time and money spent working on trucks. She may say she is ok with it now, but put that second ring on her finger and its down hill from there..............

Well, as long as I explain to her why I'm doing things, she doesn't seem to have a problem with it... I've got her talked into letting me upgrade my computer a bit after we get back from the hunnymoon already :D (dual monitors and some more ram)

She's pretty understanding with the expo concidering her dad owns a 67 Mustang Gt and a 40's willy's jeep with a 289 v8 in it...

the company I work for does have a fab shop, I am sure steel wont be a problem I guess. did yours fit on the end of the frame horns?just bloted right on? I really like that Idea. Did it block any air going to the radiator?

I never noticed any problems with air flow, my current push bumper with the lights on it blocks way more air, and I've never had a problem with it. It mounted to the side and bottom of the frame rails. If you crawl unter the truck you will see what I am talking about. The push bumper I have mounts to the exact same spots. I've been toying with the Idea of cutting the mounts off of the bracket I made and welding it directly to the one for the push bumper. This is also the way that the front reciever hitches mount up.

Ok
I need to see what develops here--

Kert--I love your hooks and bumper----hmmmm.

I'll be driving through Kansas in about 4 days and back in like 10

Back