Your Choice of Trim and Bumper Paint (Photoshop Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Choice of Trim and Bumper Paint (Photoshop Pics)

Well it's about that time that my bumper and rocker panels are starting to just look plain nasty, so I figured I would take it all off and just paint it black to match my grille. A lot of people on here seem to recommend the duplicolor spray-on truck bed liner. Others prefer herculiner/rhino liner. A friend of mine did his Jeep doors with the duplicolor as well. I figure that the truck bed liner would be much less prone to wear or damage than bumper paint.

Would the rocker panels/bumper require any priming? I was planning on washing, sanding, degreasing with a metal cloth, then power washing for maximum adhesiveness (if that's even a real word), all before painting.

Advantages/disadvantages of any product? Price range? What would you guys prefer.
I had a friend of mine photoshop the concept on my vehicle.

31sblackvf6.jpg

First picture is pre-shackles and TT
Second picture is pre-everything
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4724/****tycopyut3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know, I've thought about doing the whole front grill section black like in that photoshop, but I just can't decide if I would like it or not.

Cost should be less that $20 including everything, sand paper, paint, ect, assuming you do it yourself (paint, not bedliner). While I'm here...may I suggest...
black22copy.jpg

:D

I think if you also tinted the windows it would look really good.

Actually Charlie, the grille on my 'ploder was just $20 on ebay. It came black and unpainted. The fllat color was the basis for everything else on the truck that I'd like to do.

I really thought about bringing the paint up like you did there, but it just takes away from that semi-stock look that I would like to keep.

Tinting the windows doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. But there's a certain point where the car looks (pardon my French) wiggerish. Since I know nothing about tint, won't certain cleaners like Invisible Glass strip the tint off of the windows? Is it hard to tint windows?

IMO, leave the tinting to a pro. Tinting only the side windows should not be too much. I would consider $100, a fair price. If lifetime warranty is not standard, go elsewhere.

I clean my tint with a damp microfiber cloth, followed by a dry microfiber cloth to dry.

Should I use 400 grit sandpaper? What are some good prepping procedures?

Ok I just got back from Advance. $8 for a can of truck bed paint :eek: . I've heard that I may need a couple cans to get the job done. I was thinking along the lines of 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint on the panels and flares.

As for the bumpers, I got to thinking. The store sells this clear adherence stuff, so after prepping, I would put 3 coats of that on, followed by 3-4 coats of duplicolor bumper paint.
For the rear bumper I would put the bumper paint on the metal part and the truck bed liner on the plastic steps. Since there's 2 steps I think it would look pretty neat.

Here's what I'm wondering though: The bumpers are plastic and metal. Would the bumper paint sit well on both of those? Would I have to add any clearcoat protectant to either the bumper paint or the truck bed liner?

For some perspective on use, I used one entire tall rattle can of Duplicolor bedliner itself for 3 good coats on a Reese Hitch I put on my Ex.

100_4810.jpg

100_4818.jpg

Back