Solved - Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow!

What a great sticky! My auto hubs are wonky, and I'd sure like to convert to the reliable manuals. But I'm going to try cleaning the autos 1st. Just wish I'd done this the past summer, rather than find out when there's 6+ inches of snow on the ground...lol. :D

Sub'd to study in a bit more detail later.

This maybe a dumb question, or if asked before my apologies. But I've never really though about it since I've always had auto locking hubs...

If I were to switch to manual hubs would I then be able to run in 2L? Or would the front axles turning cause damage if the hubs are unlocked?

My old HiLux 4x4 has manual transfer case, and I've used 2L many times in it. It'd be nice to have the same capability with the X.

This is a great board, btw. Thank you to all members for providing such a helpful resource. This internet thing is amazing!

Wow!

What a great sticky! My auto hubs are wonky, and I'd sure like to convert to the reliable manuals. But I'm going to try cleaning the autos 1st. Just wish I'd done this the past summer, rather than find out when there's 6+ inches of snow on the ground...lol. :D

Sub'd to study in a bit more detail later.

This maybe a dumb question, or if asked before my apologies. But I've never really though about it since I've always had auto locking hubs...

If I were to switch to manual hubs would I then be able to run in 2L? Or would the front axles turning cause damage if the hubs are unlocked?

My old HiLux 4x4 has manual transfer case, and I've used 2L many times in it. It'd be nice to have the same capability with the X.

This is a great board, btw. Thank you to all members for providing such a helpful resource. This internet thing is amazing!

You can engage 4x4 Low with the front hubs unlocked to give you low end power at the rear wheels.. With the Front hubs Unlocked the front axle shafts will just spin harmlessly within the hubs..

hay

hay,new to the forum. 94eb exploder(EXPLORER) found lots of info.on this site hope to find much more thanks steve c

...Welcome here and glad you found the site useful..:biggthump

...You will find most everything you need for your first gen X here..;)

...The search function at the top of the page will make it easier to find just exactly what you need...

arggg.autohubs

94 explorer..I have been looking through this site and some others and am having trouble finding info and pics on the hub assembly...lots of info on the cam etc...I just bought the X and I think someone may have parts missing or installed incorrectly in the auto hub assembly..can anyone help me with pics or info of the autohub guts ??? !!

Thanks !

94 explorer..I have been looking through this site and some others and am having trouble finding info and pics on the hub assembly...lots of info on the cam etc...I just bought the X and I think someone may have parts missing or installed incorrectly in the auto hub assembly..can anyone help me with pics or info of the autohub guts ??? !!

Thanks !

See link like autohub info

Is the exploded diagram in post #1 not detailed enough?

ry_400.jpg

Thanks for the response DeRocha, Yes diagram is detailed enough, but as I said I am looking for a diagram of inside the autohub !! Despite hours of reading and searching threads here I hadnt found the link you gave...so thanks for that ! Unfortunately for me the pics and or diagrams are not working for me on the "autohubs fix" link...I still might make some sense out of it. If anyone could tell me how to see the pics in this link, I would appreciate it..Thanks..Jeff

T...If anyone could tell me how to see the pics in this link, I would appreciate it..Thanks..Jeff

I recall the pictures and they were highly detailed. Unfortunately the poster uploaded them to a hosting site that removed them so the links no longer work. I'll see if Bob can repost them or send them my way to post them..

..Not sure who was referred to as "T" but...

..If the pics in the first post are in question, I can see them all just fine...:dunno:

...I believe they are all EF pics...:scratch:...If not, I will get them straightened out..;)

..Not sure who was referred to as "T" but...

..If the pics in the first post are in question, I can see them all just fine...:dunno:

...I believe they are all EF pics...:scratch:...If not, I will get them straightened out..;)

Sorry for the confusion.. Yes the links in this thread are fine, it's the picture links in the thread below that are MIA...

Thanks to all for posting this thread and all the responces. Very informative!
My 1991 first gen X is in the shop now getting new autohubs, I wish I had read this before I panicked!!! Dang!
Oh well, i'll know now.
Not bad since I have 211K on the originals.
Happy travels :)

Can a ranger Autohub fit on a 1st gen explorer? I forget the year of the ranger but it has the same front end blah blah...I have 2 of them laying around and since I believe that my explorer hub(right side) is blown, i thought i might give this a try, but i wasn't too sure.
Any thoughts or input will be much appreciated !

Thank you!

If it is from a Dana 35, then Yes. One of my spare sets is actually from a ranger.

If its a ranger with a Dana 28 front end, then no. If its a hybrid d35/28, then I don't know.

~Mark

Is the exploded diagram in post #1 not detailed enough?

ry_400.jpg

Can someone explain to me how this automatic 4 wheel drive system works? According to this diagram there is supposed to be a 3 piece thrustwasher set that I've yet to find on my X. This link at The Ranger Station tells about auto to manual hub swapping and says nothing of this 3 piece thrust washer set. Mine has the wheel retainer, lock key, cam assembly(which appears to be plastic on metal then it has a floating 2nd metal piece on the inside of it), splined steel thrustwasher, and the retaining ring then the auto hub. I cleaned the hub out and the cam assembly to make them float freely as they were gunked up with grease. The outer piece in the hub floats and I can shake the hub and make it flush with the inner spline on the hub. My thing is...how does the axle shaft moving make the cam engage? Is it just the hub assembly that's supposed to move in toward the hub and lock or what? What happens to the transmission when you select 4x4 Low? My rear wheels have 100% more torque it seems even though the front hubs don't seem to be engaging when put in 4Low.

Can someone explain to me how this automatic 4 wheel drive system works? According to this diagram there is supposed to be a 3 piece thrustwasher set that I've yet to find on my X. This link at The Ranger Station tells about auto to manual hub swapping and says nothing of this 3 piece thrust washer set. Mine has the wheel retainer, lock key, cam assembly(which appears to be plastic on metal then it has a floating 2nd metal piece on the inside of it), splined steel thrustwasher, and the retaining ring then the auto hub. I cleaned the hub out and the cam assembly to make them float freely as they were gunked up with grease. The outer piece in the hub floats and I can shake the hub and make it flush with the inner spline on the hub. My thing is...how does the axle shaft moving make the cam engage? Is it just the hub assembly that's supposed to move in toward the hub and lock or what? What happens to the transmission when you select 4x4 Low? My rear wheels have 100% more torque it seems even though the front hubs don't seem to be engaging when put in 4Low.

Everything from the C-clip to the left is attached to the axle spindle. Not sure about three, I remember just one as in the picture you linked to:
MVC-574F.jpg

and when I was looking (many years ago) there were no exploded views of the actual auto hub. If memory serves me, pull the snap ring and everything comes out in order. I didn't have any broken parts but cleaned everything up and put back together with no luck. Warn manuals are so much more reliable

Anyone heard of the 10 dollar 6200z bearing fix for autohubs ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHzgLUnFiQ

anyway sounds about right loose bearings against a cast housing is a big no no that's why super juice and the bones made it big because sealed bearings last and are faster than beebees in open air

but I cant tell from this guys vid entirely it ends upbruptly without anyother continuances

this settles what I feel at onset when I take off the hub and turn the splined gear inside the Hub I feel roughness ......the outer hub is not pristine which gives me no confidence I cant tell from an exploded view

my symptom is everything is working but I have a slight pull to the right knocking out my alignment while driving in 4x4 so this sounds right

Id prefer Stock for a Stock truck Dirty Trail and Emergency Traction Control when you need it you can always go back and wallow in it oink oink

I got to say I don't like anything ive seen for diameter sake id taper the axels at the machine shop for heavy duty ............. your out to bust a nut so anywhich way but loose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back