Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wild horses don't even care I'm driving 15' away.
20240417_143523.jpg

View attachment 451595
Wildlife seems to care less about vehicles than they do about people. They are programmed to fear animal scent and things with legs.

We have been right next to antelope and Elk in the vehicle. Step out with a camera and they take off.

I do not know if a ford tractor forum as I don’t have any ford tractors! I wish I did! I like the old ones and they would make an excellent addition here an old rwd just for mowing grass. I
Like the simplicity of the old flat 4 engines!

However the dudes at heavy equipment.com have you covered it seems they know just about everything related to tractors or hydraulics or large machines. There is a Canadian dude over there that installs trails and fences in Canada he scratch built his latest track hoe… talk about impressive! That forum has been a huge help for me learning about my machines

ive looked at tractorforum.com and i think theres a ford sub section

I've been on the trail before and had a horse stick its head in my open passenger window, looking for a handout! I didn't have anything at the time. The wild burros don't care either, they'll just stand on the trail and stare at you. LoL

They used to be wary of dogs and people, as all wild animals should be. One of the neighbors feeds them, pets them, gives them names, etc. Instead of one small herd, now there are three herds in this little valley. At any given time, there's 10-15 wild horses here, who are no longer afraid of people. It's slowly becoming a dangerous situation.

Happy Day! I got the engineered plans back today. I don't understand hardly any of the 56 pages, but I don't have to understand them. The plans are stamped, so we are able to submit them for a permit. Should get the permit quickly since they don't have to do anything.

Finally!

Watching the wild horses chase each other around. Three herds in the valley today. I love sitting out after the sun goes behind the mountains just enjoying the view and the quiet. Can't wait to get the house built here.
20240422_183641.jpg

There is a beautiful mare with one of the herds. She is light gray with a reddish face, mane and tail. I've never seen one those colors before and I've been around horses my entire life.

They used to be wary of dogs and people, as all wild animals should be. One of the neighbors feeds them, pets them, gives them names, etc. Instead of one small herd, now there are three herds in this little valley. At any given time, there's 10-15 wild horses here, who are no longer afraid of people. It's slowly becoming a dangerous situation.
Yep, the problems come when people forget wild animals are wild and unpredictable, and therefore dangerous. That goes for any animal you aren't closely acquainted with.

Nothing like it
Living in nature with no other humans for miles
Once you go out there, there is no going back. Enjoy it! Thanks for sharing! Wild horses should meet mr wild moose these moose are crazy

We have a huge herd of elk, the great thing about these elk is they completely disappear every hunting season and then show up in the field and Piss all the hunters right off

DCC25093-72F4-4BFF-A88E-83480ACEFC11.jpeg

Beautiful!
My brother moved to Denver in March of '99, and I took his stuff out to him in mid-April. We drove up to Estes Park hoping to see an elk. We spotted 1 south of town so far off the road it didn't show up in the pic. We stepped out of the restaurant in Estes Park after lunch, and elk were all over town! Late in the afternoon, a large herd came down out of the mountains, holding up traffic as they moseyed across the road. On the way back to Denver, we saw them in lots of barnyards. We hoped to see 1 elk that day, and I lost count somewhere around 200.

I saw a young Elk last time I ran Moss Wash. He stared at me and the dog, not a care in the world.

The hunters here go up to Williams to Elk hunt. I've seen several deer on the property.

There's about 30 critters in the area I am fencing off. It's like they know.
20240425_115940.jpg

Edit: The fence guy has been slow to send me a estimate, so I sent him this picture.

It wasn't that bad, just incredibly stupid. LOL

“I thought he wanted to be friends,” she reportedly said. “The bear came and wanted to get into the car, but he started getting into the car and bit my friend.”

same vibe... but the bear one makes a great joke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plans were submitted to the county about two weeks ago. Contractor got a letter from them. What they are asking for seems minimal, except the designer didn't redo the plans to match the engineered report. Attic access was in earlier plans, but disappeared. It's going to be from a wall mounted ladder with a door from the garage side to over the laundry/mud room. Laundry is the only room with a flat ceiling, and is in the middle of the house so under the roof peak. The attic space above that room will be 6-8' tall so we are using it as a utility room. Furnace and on demand H2o heater will go up there to keep them out of the garage. Designer did all that on Friday. Plans will be resubmitted Monday.
IMG_3595(1).jpg

I'll be heading back to San Diego Wednesday. I have a few doctors appointments that I made months ago and already rescheduled them both at least twice. Water line and fence should be installed by the end of next month, and as soon as the permit is approved the electric company will extend power to the pad with a temporary meter. Contractor will have a electrician install a temp 50 amp RV plug for me.

I plan on being here when construction is started, and will be here as much as possible throughout the process. I've never had my own house built, and don't want to miss any of it. The plan is to leave the RV on site, take the Explorer back to San Diego, then tow it back with the Silverado so I will have both vehicles there.

I've also been looking at 20' containers. I was thinking of getting two of them, placed 20' apart, with a carport covering the gap. It would be a nice place to park the backhoe, and the containers would be way handy to keep the garage from getting cluttered. Someone local was selling that exact set up, but I didn't know about it until it was sold.

Got my first rattler of this trip this morning. It was 30' from the RV on the pad. One shot with my .22LR rifle, it didn't feel a thing. This one was the smallest of the three I've shot since I've been coming out here. I'm a live and let live guy, except for critters that can kill my dog. We can't share the same space.

Back