(Poll) Zexel Torsen Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Poll) Zexel Torsen Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger?

Interested in a Zexel Torsen differential for IFS Explorer/Rangers?

• Yes I would purchase one if they were made available.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Zexel Torsen Front Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger?

Rick Barnes from Zexel Torsen has been on our boards lately. Rick has a prototype Zexel Torsen torque sensing differential in his own Ranger. Before this unit could be brought to production he needs to see what kind of interest there would be from the Explorer/Ranger community.

For those not familiar with the Zexel Torsen differential, it is the unit that comes standard in all of the original Hummers.

For technical information look at this page: http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm

This unit would most likely be priced in the $500-$600 range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is an excellent unit and would be beneficial to all you guys that have AWD. I would have gotten a front Torsen had it been available.

--Sean

Definitely! If I pull off the project with my truck that I'm planning that would be ideal.

Looks Interesting.....

TORSEN T-2 provides efficient torque biasing and differentiation for improved performance. It is specifically designed for front wheel drive applications and C-Clip type rear axles.
Is there one available for the rear? Would this be a superior option to the PowerTrax.

EDIT: I just found this....

Dead Link Removed

The current applications for the TORSEN T-2R include the Ford 8.8 inch axle, the GM 8.5 inch axle, and the GM 7.6 inch axle.

Last edited:

I want one !!

I didn't need a full-fledge locker,so this unit fits the bill.

that would be a "YES" !! :)

Last edited:

looks great. I'm not to sure how hard it would be to install.
For the front axle on the first gen Explorer. Would that make it a all wheel drive, then the transfer case is in 4X4 ?( make is more steerable).
Thanks

I was at one time interested in a Torsen for the front. . . But I like my Powertrax too much now :D

depending on price compared to power trax, I'd be interested!

How does that unit compare to a limited slip?
Can anyone explain?

Originally posted by cpousnr
How does that unit compare to a limited slip?
Can anyone explain?
There's a thread that gets into this in the modifications board. Go Dead Link Removed.

Last edited:

As a weekend warrior, I think this is the perfect solution. I am very interested. Thanks for that write up, Rick, that was very informative. When I went through the licensing course for the HMMWV they taught us the accelerator/brake application method for bad traction situations but never taught us the science behind it. I learned something new.

Kevin

Count me in I would be interested

Curious though what are the street manners of this locker and does the tcase need modified say to run 2wd

Originally posted by Ace
Count me in I would be interested

Curious though what are the street manners of this locker and does the tcase need modified say to run 2wd
I've driven the prototypes in 1)Explorers, 2) Rangers, 3) a BITD Ranger, and in all cases its been transparent during normal street use. In fact, I just drove home in the FX4 that has one in a heavy snowfall (the plows aren't keeping up at the moment) and it had no bad habits - just traction.

Regarding the t-case, this has nothing to do with it. Why would it be modified?

Rick :, my explorer is "Not" full time AWD,it has the traction control {SOHC,auto tranny}, this wouldn't be a problem with the torsen would it ?
I read what Dessert Spive had posted and just want to find out.

Not at all. In fact if you're talking about a traditional traction control system, a Torsen will generally allow a traction control system to work less often. And when it does, the traction control doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same result. The Torsen will multiply brake torque, even that applied by the traction control system (assuming a brake controlled system). Either way, the Torsen and traction control compliment each other nicely.

If you're referring to the Control-Trac on-demand 4WD, well the Torsen will work to your benefit whenever the system sends torque to the front, or whenever you switch it to 4WD. Otherwise, it just goes along for the ride.

I was reading thru some of the Torsen site, and am wondering what the difference between the T2, and T2R would be for us as off roaders, would be? What about the T1. Is it available for us? Cost prohibitive? I'm really thinking that a full locker would be over kill for my uses. How much $ for the one that's already out for the 8.8" rear?

Last edited:

Originally posted by jwrezz
I was reading thru some of the Torsen site, and am wondering what the difference between the T2, and T2R would be for us as off roaders, would be? What about the T1. Is it available for us? Cost prohibitive? I'm really thinking that a full locker would be over kill for my uses. How much $ for the one that's already out for the 8.8" rear?
Type 2 and 2R are different versions of the same thing. They are a standard and high-performance versions of a parallel-axis gear type differential. All of the differentials that we currently make for the 8.8 are of this family, because this style of gearing allows the differential to be compatible with the 8.8's C-clip axle retainers.

The Type 1 is a perpendicular (crossed) axis gear design. Similar operating principle, different gear arrangement, but not C-clip compatible. Our 9" diffs are of this type.

We do not market diffs direct to the public (most of our business is OEM), so you'd have to buy from a distributor (FRPP, Reider Racing, Global West). They set the pricing. IIRC, the T-2 for the 8.8 is in the $450 ballpark, the T-2R is like $600 or so.

I would definitely be interested, but cannot put up the cash right away. I would have to wait until April/MAy timeframe. I am in process of upgrading transfer-case, engine, and getting an FX4 axle, so I am tapped out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is for the Dana 35 for the front of a 99' Ranger as well? IF this is correct then count me in. Is there a post on the ORR site, I frequent this site more often. For the price range that was quoted, what all comes with this unit and can an experienced rebuilder of diffs accomplish this at a reasonable cost. If this is product is not in a thread over on the ORR web site I would highly recommend it. Thanks for offering this to me/ us the general public who like to get dirty once in a while.

--Ted

Back