• Register Today It's free!

JD traction bars

Kadahaf

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston/Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT/'95 XL
I have found the thunking problem I posted about a while ago, and I want to get traction bars for the rear. I got new ball joints, so I know it's the drive shaft. Are these JD bars compatible with a 95, or are there any that can be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

say what now?

You found your clunking problem, its the driveshaft.

You are looking at the James Duff rear traction bars, the classic style that mount above the leaf ur the long link ones that mount under?
(both will work on a Gen II with some modifications)

And whats the deal with ball joints?

You got like 3 topics in one thread! Nice!

I know guys who have fought the axle wrap on their explorer by installing v8 traction bars, thats right the 96-01 Explorer with a V8 has factory traction bars that will bolt into your 95 (cheaper alternative to the Duff)

I also have a friend who tried the Duff above leaf style bars and was not happy with the product and returned them (may be they were designed for a Ranger and Duff assumed they would work on an Explorer)

410Fortune said:
say what now?

You found your clunking problem, its the driveshaft. yes

You are looking at the James Duff rear traction bars, the classic style that mount above the leaf ur the long link ones that mount under? which ever work, I'm really asking which one I need
(both will work on a Gen II with some modifications)

And whats the deal with ball joints?people told me that the thuimp could be my ball joints, but I recently got them totally replaced, so they're not my problem

You got like 3 topics in one thread! Nice!hehe I try

I know guys who have fought the axle wrap on their explorer by installing v8 traction bars, thats right the 96-01 Explorer with a V8 has factory traction bars that will bolt into your 95 (cheaper alternative to the Duff)eh cheap you say? linky? :p

I also have a friend who tried the Duff above leaf style bars and was not happy with the product and returned them (may be they were designed for a Ranger and Duff assumed they would work on an Explorer)
I want to see what will work, and where are those v8 bars you mentioned?

those v8 bars would be at your local junk yard, classifieds, or craglsit parting out post underneath a v8 explorer, 96-01. Some AWD trucks may also have them???

Alright, but my luck at finding explorer parts at local junk yards have not been the best experiences...

Say I end up getting the JD as mentioned in the origional post, which one would I guy? Thanks for you help thus far

what are you trying to accomplish? I assume axle wrap up?

Ford tried to fight this too with a stupid little 3rd shock and finally the AWD traction bars

You could try searching online and paying shipping, in fact I think my 96 MIGHT have them, the one thats headed to the crusher in a month or so...

I'm trying to get rid of the thump that occurs right after a full stop, and/or beginning of a stop. I heard this in conjunction with new grease can eliminate it.

oh? on both sides? (I'm assuming...) if you do I guess you could get some money before you crush it :p

she will be stripped bare before I crush it, I have another 96 so parts will go into storage but I dont need all of them.

Your drie shaft slip yoke likely just needs to be cleaned and lubed. This is covered alot on this site.

I would try to stick with a traction bar that does not rob ground clearance if possible, but they all limit articulation so I would likely never add one.

Also your leaf springs/shocks/sway bar bushings may be worn out but lubricating the D shaft is where I would start (I do mine every time it is out which is about yearly)

alright, I was planning on doing that any ways (drive shaft grease), but I wanted to see if it would help at all and what alternatives I had. I don't mind about articulation seeing as this is my DD not an off-roader

I have exactly the same problem. Just about everyone that has responded to my questions and other people's questions regarding this subject have said that greasing the slip joint (in the driveshaft) solves the problem completely, so Id agree with what 410 said. I'd try that before spending the $$ on the traction bars. Good luck.

Back