97 Sport build number 2 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport build number 2

Well fixed Tstat and it does not leak anymore (That I can see) BUT she still does not stay running. SO I am thinking I have the wrong Harmonic Balancer on her. I put the 06 harmonic balancer on her and I got the code P0340. SO this weekend I will out my old one back on and the old Positions sensor and hope that will fix it. If that is right. I did google it and it was a Cam position sensor. Can someone advise? Thanks
Good to hear the leak is fixed. Surely you'll have luck keeping it running. These kind of things happen with engine swaps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah they do and I think the leak is coming from the Heater core. It is leaking from that area. The next time I start it I am gonna bypass the heater core and see what happens. I also need to replace the radiator. But she is coming together slowly

GREAT News :bounce:I changed out the Harmonic Balancer and put in my old one and she runs great. NOW to get the radiator replaced and heater core replaced. Radiator is on its way and Heater Core will be later. Not needed right now. :) But I am very happy. She runs really nice and I hear No timing chain rattle. Now I can't wait to get her back on the road and she how she runs with a fresh motor.

GREAT News :bounce:I changed out the Harmonic Balancer and put in my old one and she runs great. NOW to get the radiator replaced and heater core replaced. Radiator is on its way and Heater Core will be later. Not needed right now. :) But I am very happy. She runs really nice and I hear No timing chain rattle. Now I can't wait to get her back on the road and she how she runs with a fresh motor.
Outstanding...that is an excellent update.

woot!!!:D:bounce: now back to wheeling!

Well almost back to Wheeling. Have to replace radiator 1st then I can get back out there and crawl over rocks. I also got my self a Cheap Dana 30 to put under my Ex. Yes I know not strong and what have you but the tires I have are the biggest I will go. All I am gonna do is get 4.10s in and a Lunch Box locker in them. Here is the start of my next project.
New 97 73.jpeg

This weekend I did how ever get some other things done on my her. I got 2" spacers installed. I really like how she looks now. Really looking forward to getting her back out on the road. Here is what she looks like with the Spacers. A before and after.
New 97 70.jpeg

New 97 72.jpeg

New 97 71.jpeg

SOOOOO I was trouble shooting something on my engine and than me and my wife heard the Timing chain rattle and then Nothing. Motor died. Wont start at all now. So I am so DONE with this one. Just bought a new radiator, New crank shaft sensor, Oil, anti-Freeze and now this sh**. Anyone want buy 4.10 8.8 axle? BW1354e transfer case? Maybe some other things?

nooooooooo!!!!!!!! dont let it go!!!! :( any chance it will be revived with v8? loved your build :( if you do give up on it (which i dont think you should!!!!!) would there be a 4.10 F/R set available? or just a 4.10 front? more concerned about that one... but shipping might be killer...

nooooooooo!!!!!!!! dont let it go!!!! :( any chance it will be revived with v8? loved your build :( if you do give up on it (which i dont think you should!!!!!) would there be a 4.10 F/R set available? or just a 4.10 front? more concerned about that one... but shipping might be killer...
Would love to do a V8 but I need to find one that would work for me. Also If I found one I would put what I have in this one to the V8. I do not want to let it go I honestly don't But I just replaced the chains and guides and then this. Its just very frustrating. By the way my Wife was in the house when we both heard the chain rattle. I will NEVER forget that rattle till the day I die LOL. I heard it when she was running and now again it will be a ghost for me LOL

:( yep, we all have those moments... i can feel your frustration from (many many) miles away... as long as this one lives on (jn some way, shape, form), ill be at ease ;):) would be interesting to do a failure analysis and see if the pistons smacked valves, or if it was low speed enough and luckyenough that when the chaiin let go it didnt damagevalves, altho unlikely,as sohc is interference engine... maybe with a JY chain shell be running again if pistons lookalright?

I was not driving just engine running in the Drive way. Not sure what it was it just sounded like what happen when I was driving her when the 1st engine went. I will ***** more tomorrow. Not gonna mess with her right now. Do not want my anger to bleed over right now LOL

true, makes sense! if you ever want a v8 truck, here in SoCal theres a decent amount of em... rust free too! ;) hopeto see the sport back up and running, and you back on the trails though... hope everything works out one way or another (im gonna get you get you... to make the sport live on in some way;)) really liked this build, so hoping it gets revived, or lives on in another X!

edit: bad joke i know... not good at them!

Fix it
And then you'll have what you really want of reliable vehicle that last just cost a little bit or junkyard motor too

That truck is amazing, she's being fickle, but you can't let her go for that! Just trial and error, something didn't go quite right this time, so take one more attempt, I'm sure you of all people shouldn't take too long to get it done right. Been following the thread for a while, don't want to see it end this easily. We'll all try and help where we can, I'm sure too. Besides, I want a chance to go wheeling beside that beast some day!

yeahhhhh i agree with demonmudder!!!!! weve all had those moments!!!! and the reward of knowing you stuck w/ it and overcame it is great!!!!! keep the X!!!!

yeahhhhh i agree with demonmudder!!!!! weve all had those moments!!!! and the reward of knowing you stuck w/ it and overcame it is great!!!!! keep the X!!!!
Exactly, now trust me, just like all truck work, you'll be screaming and cussing at it while ya do it, but damn will you be glad ya did it in the end! But as long as it's all giddied up properly, that SOHC ain't even going to get close to letting you down! Why even if my chains do act up, I'd rather fix mine than swap in a V8, it would literally be just for a nicer sound since the SOHC and the 5.0 are almost identical in power overall!

Just take a couple days to think, if you can, go back and check over everything for the weak link that caused it. But take a few days from it, get your mind away and come back with a clear head

^ smart man
Believe me I wanted to start mine on fire a few times

Back