Anti Theft Light Flashing On Dash , Car wont start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti Theft Light Flashing On Dash , Car wont start.

Plowy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xl
G'day Everyone

Well my 2000 Explorer is still sitting at the auto electricians . The lock and key were sent to be tested and are apparently working . The anti -theft light keeps flashing on the dash and the car will only wind over and of course will not start. My auto electrician is pulling his hair out.
Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this problem and is there wiring diagrams of this area anywhere to be accessed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is some info from the service manual, don't know how helpful it will be. I will try to dig up some more.
Hope it is helpful
Scucci

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock in North America, Safeguard in the U.K., and PATS in Continental Europe. This information can be found in customer literature such as the owner's manual.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code out of over four quadrillion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into a vehicle's PATS module before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic repair procedures outlined in the manual that must be performed if the encoded ignition keys need to be replaced.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud, and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PATS module.

The control functions are contained in the PATS module. This module performs all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The PATS module initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the powertrain control module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the J1850 (SCP) network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The PATS and the PCM share security data when first installed together that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PATS shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic repair procedures outlined in the repair manual that may be performed if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

All the elements of the PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working properly, the vehicle will not start.

The PATS uses a visual theft indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. The PATS also "blips" the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

The PATS differs from the perimeter anti-theft system in that the PATS enables and disables the engine from starting. If equipped, the perimeter anti-theft system protects the perimeter of the vehicle (doors, hood and trunk) and sounds an alarm.

The passive vehicle protection system will be activated and will disable the vehicle from starting if there is a:

l Damaged encoded key.

l Unprogrammed key.

l Non-encoded key (key has no electronics).

l Wiring concern.

l Transceiver concern.

l PCM concern.

l Module communications network concern.

PATS DTC CODES:

PATS Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index

³ DTC ³ Flashing Fault ³ Description ³ Action ³
³ ³ Code ³ ³ ³
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ B1213 ³ 21 ³ Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1213. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Keys Below Minimum ³ ³
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ B1232 ³ 12 ³ Defective Transceiver ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1232. ³
³ B1600 ³ 13 ³ No Key Code Received Ä Damaged Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1600. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key or Use of Non-PATS Encoded ³ ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key ³ ³
³ B1601 ³ 15 ³ Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key (Keycode ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1601. ³
³ ³ ³ Format OK) ³ ³
³ B1602 ³ 14 ³ Invalid Key Code Format From Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1602. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key Transponder ³ ³
³ B1681 ³ 11 ³ PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1681. ³
³ B2139 ³ 23 ³ Security ID Does Not Match Between PATS ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2139. ³
³ ³ ³ and PCM ³ ³
³ B2141 ³ 22 ³ No Security ID Exchange Between PATS and ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2141. ³
³ ³ ³ PCM ³ ³
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ U1147 ³ 16 ³ Faulty SCP Link or Incorrect PCM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test U1147. ³
³ ³ ³ Calibration ³ ³
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) can cause this. I believe the check engine light should blink as the engine turns over to indicate CKP pulses.

well.... slow down a bit and back up maybe. Please provide a little more description / observations of your problem. A simple statement like "theft light flashing" doesn't really provide with much. IIRC, normal operation of the system is that the light flashes ("normal" rate) while the vehicle is sitting doing nothing. Then when the key is turned on... don't try to start it... the light should go solid and then go out. Does this happen? You don't have to waste battery power or "injure" your engine trying to start it until you get the key "recognized". If the theft stay solid or rapidly flashes, I do believe the system has a problem recognizing your key for a couple of reason since you have had it "tested" in some form.

Every car I've tried to start with a PATS problem won't crank over. Nothing happens but a rapidly flashing theft light. If yours cranks over, I'm thinking something else is wrong.

Is there a fuel cutoff switch on this model? My 93 has a fuel cutoff underneath the carpet at the front passenger side. It may need to be reset. Sounds like a fuel issue if it's cranking but not starting.

My mechanic just told me that it will turn over with a rapidly flashing theft light.

Every car I've tried to start with a PATS problem won't crank over. Nothing happens but a rapidly flashing theft light. If yours cranks over, I'm thinking something else is wrong.

Any update on the solution to this problem would be very appreciated!!!

G'day Everyone

Well my 2000 Explorer is still sitting at the auto electricians . The lock and key were sent to be tested and are apparently working . The anti -theft light keeps flashing on the dash and the car will only wind over and of course will not start. My auto electrician is pulling his hair out.
Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this problem and is there wiring diagrams of this area anywhere to be accessed.

Can these codes be read using a standard automotive code read tool (ie the ones they will use for free at Autozone etc)???? If not, how to read?

PATS DTC CODES:

³ DTC ³ Flashing Fault ³ Description ³ Action ³
³ ³ Code ³ ³ ³
³ B1213 ³ 21 ³ Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1213. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Keys Below Minimum ³ ³
³ B1232 ³ 12 ³ Defective Transceiver ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1232. ³
³ B1600 ³ 13 ³ No Key Code Received Ä Damaged Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1600. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key or Use of Non-PATS Encoded ³ ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key ³ ³
³ B1601 ³ 15 ³ Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key (Keycode ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1601. ³
³ ³ ³ Format OK) ³ ³
³ B1602 ³ 14 ³ Invalid Key Code Format From Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1602. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key Transponder ³ ³
³ B1681 ³ 11 ³ PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1681. ³
³ B2139 ³ 23 ³ Security ID Does Not Match Between PATS ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2139. ³
³ ³ ³ and PCM ³ ³
³ B2141 ³ 22 ³ No Security ID Exchange Between PATS and ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2141. ³
³ ³ ³ PCM ³ ³
³ U1147 ³ 16 ³ Faulty SCP Link or Incorrect PCM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test U1147. ³
³ ³ ³ Calibration ³ ³

I think you need the Ford NGS or similar tool to read "B" codes. I don't think the scanners you get at parts places can pull those.

The wiring for the PATS module goes up to the steering column. I'll see if I can get a diagram for you so you can check it. In the "Under The Hood" secton under the PATS thread I posted what wire colors were what, so you can look under there and see.

Did you have a remote start system at any time?

I found the answer to this. On the first page, 6th column of this article, it indicates which models have the "starter interrupt present" which I believe would prevent cranking. Mine doesn't so it cranks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11145926/FORD-PATS

This came from the PATS sticky in the "Under the Hood" section of this forum.

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so. The alarm got confused.

I'd put money the crankshaft positioning sensor, this happened to mine a few months ago. Cost about $600 to replace at my local ford dealer. I also had a new key made, the battery/chips inside the key can lose potency over time and cause the security system to not recognize them.

engine cranks won't start

Hello again. Don't know if anyone remembers but I had a lifter issue with my 2000 ranger 4.0. tried replacing the lifters only to find out it had a wrist pin slapping too and would not maintain oil pressure once warmed up. So the solution was to replace the engine with another engine and now I have a problem where the engine cranks but won't start. I have fuel in the fuel rail with 50 psi. I have spark and the engine with start with starting fluid but dies with it runs out of starting fluid. I would thing that its an anti-theft problem but the other engine would start and run no matter how many times I disconnected the battery. I did transfer know good crank sensor and cam sensors from the old engine. The only difference between the old engine and the new one is that the new engine came from a manual tranny explorer, but everyone I asked including Ford said it would work just fine even though there is a slight differeance in cams. I also checked all fuses and relays. At a lose now. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Paul, that dosen't sound like a PATS issue, more like a
fuel or spark timing problem. So you replaced both
crank and cam sensors? The cam sensor has to be
timed if the synchro shaft (with gear) was removed too.

Since the engine will run on starter fluid, the spark timing
is probably OK.

Maybe you can put a noid light on one of the injectors to
see if they are indeed firing......

EDIT: One other thing, if you removed the cam synchro
shaft from the old engine, you might have installed it
180 degrees out of phase on the new engine. That would
certainly cause a no start situation.....

Paul, that dosen't sound like a PATS issue, more like a
fuel or spark timing problem. So you replaced both
crank and cam sensors? The cam sensor has to be
timed if the synchro shaft (with gear) was removed too.

Since the engine will run on starter fluid, the spark timing
is probably OK.

Maybe you can put a noid light on one of the injectors to
see if they are indeed firing......

Thanks for answering. I used the cam and crank sensors off the old engine which worked on it and had no starting or running issues other then the knocking. I didn't remove the lower portion of the cam sensor just the top magnetic portion. The injectors have power going to both wires but one of the wires pulses on and off as if firing the injector yet I ran into this kind of problem on a toyota camry and ended up having to take it to the dealer to get the anti theft and computer reflashed, I'm hoping to avoid that with this truck because it is pricy.

Ok guys this has turned out to be more fun then a barrel of monkeys filled with whiskey. Finally gave up took my ranger to the dealer they tell me it is a pats problem and the the pats module behind the passenger air bag is bad, now get this according to the dealership the module in my truck which has a ford part number on it does not exist. Yet when I googled the part number it comes up as a ford pats anti-theft module go figure. Any ways spent the rest of the day trying to bypass it. I can plug in pins into the connector get the fuel pump to come on and get it to crank over but still can't get the injector drives to work. Any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS disables injectors

On my 2000 SOHC Sport if I use a key with no valid chip "THEFT" flashes rapidly when key is in ignition and the fuel injectors are disabled by the PCM. Are you using the original PCM or did you replace it with the one from the replacement engine?

I recall reading a thread on the forum about disabling PATS but haven't found it yet.

Back