• Register Today It's free!

A4LD (92 Mustang) - No overdrive

Ourobos

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
All Mustangs
Hi and thanks for any help you guys can offer up front.

I just picked up a 2.3 auto 92 Coupe, and it doesn't have overdrive. Vacuum line is good, front sensor is plugged in, VSS is plugged in. I pulled codes and came up with :

566 - 3-4 Shift solenoid circuit failure
629 - Converter clutch solenoid circuit fault or lock-up solenoid circuit failure
223 - DIS - loss of dual plug inhibit (DPI) control

Does it sound like I need a new 2-3 solenoid? If so, can someone point me to the best/cheapest place to get one for my 92?

Thanks
Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my experience, a KOEO 566 and KOEO 629 represent either a full open in the respective circuit or a short to ground in the respective circuit. Where you have codes for both the 3-4 shift solenoid and the TCC solenoid, I would look first at what these circuits have in common: a common power supply. Make sure the connector is plugged in at the transmission and otherwise check the wiring from the PCM/ EEC relay to the transmission connector.

Thanks. So if internal wiring like you suggested, is there a cure, besides replacing the tranny?

Wanted to add, in order to pull the codes on my scanner, I couldn't just pull them, they wouldn't read. I had to run ground to the ground prong on my wiring harness to the body. Then they read. That makes me think that there is a ground issue somewhere.. Thoughts?

Back