Can't figure this out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't figure this out.

pharmacist25

Reaction score
So I have a 2002 Explorer XLT v6 and have been trying to figure out where this rotational noise in the front is coming from. I had the front driver side hub replaced cause it was bad and thought that once I got new tires that the noise would go away. i had been told my tires where choppy. Well today i got new tires and still the noise persists. It is a rhythmic sound and definitely only happens when I am moving (gas or no gas). Could it be the axle is bad? The differential needs service? Anyone had this problem? How can I narrow it down without having to throw more money at it? Thanks for any help.
Also it is more pronounced on curves. This is why I thought for sure it was the tires, but guess I was wong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it louder going right, left, or is there no difference? What side does it sound like it is coming from?

Is it louder going right, left, or is there no difference?

This question remains unanswered and can help narrow down your problem.

No difference really. Jacked up car and shook tires to check hubs but they seemed solid. I have a cvc joint up front if that helps. It makes the sound like their is something big stuck in the tires would make. Thanks again for the help.

There could be either another bad hub, something stuck in the rotor (happens to me time to time), or it could be a bad CV shaft and it needs replacing. I suggest having someone drive the vehicle while you drive along side of it and listen to which side the noise comes out of it.

Ok. Will check it out. SHop supposedly did driver side hub 6 months ago, but noise never went away. they said it was from tire being chopped. Now new tires and still noisy. I have done hubs on a Jeep before. Are the 2002 hub assemblies hard to switch out? I have read yes and no. Anyone?

Faulty Hub Assembly?

What is the best way to diagnose a faulty huib assembly. Would I be able to tell if I jacked up car and shook wheel a bit top to bottom? Or spin wheel?

Check post #6.

Might try 4 in the air and then listen, no tire noise, just truck.:salute:

front wheel bearing assemblies are a snap can do each side bout an hr or so each the hub comes assembled with bearings in it can get either from side from auto zone for $110 each had same problem with my 04 explorer had pretty bad road noise coming from the front hard to tell which side was coming from so replaced both ended up being the driver side front replaced road noise went away... its fairly simple to do the axle nut is a 30mm if u dont have it they will loan it to ya at the part store soak 3 retaining bolts in wd40 so they come off easier and the new hub assembly comes with new bolts so u dont even have to use the old rusty ones.... visual inspection when u get the old one off look for discoloration round the hub where the bearing goes in easy way to tell is if its turned blue like its gotten pretty hott n bam theres ur problem... wheel bearings r a common problem especially if u have any alignment issues....

Back