'02 Explorer XLT Growling noise while turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer XLT Growling noise while turning

Wrayth Wolfe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I've got a 2002 Ford explorer XLT 4WD that has a loud growling noise when ever I turn. I've done a bunch of work to the truck to try and fix the noise but it still persists.

Parts replaced;
- Front bearings
- Front CV's
- Rear Bearings
- Rear CV's

With all those being replaced and the noise still happening, I'm thinking it's the differentials or transfer case. Can anyone confirm this? Is it the differentials of the transfer case making the noise? And if it's the diffs, what all could be the problem? Just bad bearings? Could the larger tires I put on the truck be causing this noise by any chance?

Side note; this noise has been going on for many years now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the noise occur before the larger tires? It could be as simple as the tires rubbing your fender well shroud.

I am having similar issues which started after new control arms and Quicklift Struts. Mine was worse after an alignment. Did you find anything yet?

I am having similar issues which started after new control arms and Quicklift Struts. Mine was worse after an alignment. Did you find anything yet?
Update: nothing to update.

The noise still occurs while turning, but it hasn't gotten worse or better over the years. I kind of think this is a non-issue, but don't take any advice from me, I'm just ignoring the problem for the time being.

I have since installed 2 inch strut spacers to the truck, and the noise is still there, but again, not any worse than before.

I would sort of not expect a noise from the differential or transfer case to only be there while turning, even though that does change the loading some. This is a common symptom of bad wheel bearings but you have replaced those. Can you replicate the sound with the front end jacked up and just turning the wheel?

I would jack up under the front cross-member and put a pair of jack stands there, one on either side of the jack. Then I would start it up and turn the wheel all the way over and back and see if you get any sound. That would at least rule out anything in the power steering system. A clunking sound at some point in the wheel movement would indicate a bad tie rod end, but not a more continuous growling sound.

You could also try manually spinning the tires with the wheel turned all the way over to see if you can replicate the sound. Since you are not under power that would test in the absence of the differential or transfer case doing anything.

Can you see any sign of a fluid leak under there?

Often finding the cause of a sound involves putting the truck up on a lift and putting it in gear. With the tires spinning a mechanic can often walk around with a stethoscope until they find exactly where the sound is coming from. This is, in my opinion, a rather dangerous thing to have to do as the spinning tires can do an unbelievable amount of damage to someone. That is something I would leave to a mechanic and not ever try to do yourself.

LMHmedchem

Back