Tow Rig Forum | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

Howdy Howdy Howdy.... I just seen a 1999 Ranger for sale for a decent price, and I also seen some where that those trucks can pull up to 6k (With required options and proper equipment of course).. But I never thought Rangers pulled that much.....Any truth that that? If so could a Ranger rated at 6k capacity COMFORTABLY pull a 4500lb trailer? No Probs?
I also noticed a very nice 9,000 mile limited on the lot, nav, DVD, etc. The only issue that I have is it did not carry the tow package. (and that it may be a rental car lease return) Question is, what is involved in upgrading to the equivilent of the tow package? Is it just a frame mounted hitch and a 7 pin connector? I am hoping that I would not have to install tranny or oil coolers. Thanks again
Hello all. I hope you can help. I found this site via google. My wife and I are looking to buy a pop up camper. We found a Palomino mustang that we're really interested in. The problem I'm having is tring to figure out how to rig the Exploper for safe towing. I have a '95 xlt 4x4 4 door with auto trans. and a rar 3.73 and it has 102,000 miles on it. It's treated us great for the past 10 yrs that we owned it. The trailer has the following weight ratings 289 hitch weight--total weight of 2673 and a gvwr of 3615. I was thinking of using a weight distrubution hitch with a friction sway control. Should I install a trans mission cooler? What else should I look into ? I want to make it safe as possible for taking my family...
OK, I've looked through everything, and am still thoroughly confused about my trailer wiring harness. I've got the tow package on my '97, and currently use a flat cable, like this, for my trailers: http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/hop/40915.jpg This plugs in under the bumper, to the small round 5-pin (or whatever) connector. I am getting a camper, which has a 7-pin plug, and assumed I could just get a different pigtail for this, just about anywhere. So, is this the pigtail I need to get from Ford, for some ridiculous amount of money? At the local parts store it is $60, just to get a 7-pin plug which connects to the 4-pin flat plug, which I could use to get the camper home (tomorrow), but I don't want to fork out...
Hello, I have an 06 XLT with the "standard" tow package (1.25"), but I need to wire a brake control with a 7 pin plug. Are all of the extra (required) wires already run? I noticed a heavy guage blue wire (Brakes?) that seems to be unused, but I need 1 more (Battery charge?). I think there were only 6 used on my last truck (center pin not used). For some reason I think that when I bought my camper that the trailer dealer ran 3 additional wires back from the controller. Was one a heavier ground to handle the additional current from the brakes? Thanks for any help. James
Has anyone had any experiance with these. I know they are really ghetto and redneck hillbilly style trailers but they seem to be pretty cheap. I'm moving cross country and don't want to pay uhaul $900 for one of their boxes on wheels. I don't have much, some small tool boxes and 2 full size beds, would this be alright or should I shy away from these turds on wheels?
This weekend i will be towing a 1993 pontiac grand am 2rd. I have a 98 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and 4.10 gearing. My truck is extensivly modified (no lift but lots of suspension improvements) and has all Moog suspension parts. I have installed front and rear oversized suspension bumpers (load levelers from Timbren) they have proven to make my ride while towing a boat extremely sturdy, even in high winds the trailer tracks right behind the truck and keeps pulling straight with no signs of wobble or sway. I installed a class 3 hitch last night (what a pain) never the less its in. I have upgraded every bushing to urethane due to the very sloppy handling when i first got my truck. My tires are 10 ply and rated at 2200 lbs load...
My wife and son are moving from P.E.I to Calgary, Alberta at the end of summer ( 5500 km track) and I was at the uhaul.ca site and getting a quote for a trailer so it ask what vehicle type, year, model etc.. you have and I filled it in, 99 ford explorer xlt 4x4 using a Class 3 5000 pound and it says this.... "This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?" Heres the Trailer we want to rent. 6' x 12' Trailer Capacity Volume: up to 396 cu. ft. Max load: 2,600 lbs. Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max Empty weight: 1,800 lbs. So I said ok, and tried...
Hey guys im new to the forum and im thinking about adding a 2002 Ford Explorer to the garage and i have a few questions. First off what are these getting for gas mileage(v6). The most lbs i will be towing is about 2500 lbs how does this truck handle that much weight? I also noticed that there are different towing packages class I/II and class III/IV (what is the difference in the 2) does the class III/IV towing package have upgraded suspension?As I see these trucks towing down the road i see there noses pointing to the sky and i really dont like that. Is there a fixable option that will make it sit level with a load? Thanks guys.
So I am planning to move to Arizona and am trying to prep my explorer for the trip. I bought a Hidden Hitch, the tougne, ball, gotta get a wiring harness. I'm planning on buying a trans cooler for a 22,500lb load so I think it'll be overkill but I want to be safe because my current transmission has 300miles on it. I'm going to get a remote mount filter as well. Been thinking of a electric fan as well, got one priced that pulls 3,000cfm. Gonna get some lubegaurd and put that in the trans and engine before I leave as well. There anything else I'm missing? I have a 4.0ohv automatic btw. Also are there any alternatives to Uhaul to rent a trailor? If not I'll probably just pull the explorer emblem off the back and tell them it's a...
I just purchased an "04 Explorer XLT. It has a very small trailer hitch mounting hole in the back bumper. I have a pop-up camper I'm planning on towing with it. The camper is approx 12 ' long with a single axle. I know the 4.6 has plenty of power to tow it....just wondering about the wimpy looking hitch. I'd hate to put an aftermarkt hitch on it because the factory one is partially hidden by the bumper cover and is pretty descrete. Does anybody know the towing capacity of this hitch and also the max trailer tongue weight it will handle safely?
Hi all - First Day, Second post: How do I determine the rear axle ratio on my new-to-me 1999 EB 4x2 4 door 4.0 SOHC Explorer? I actually have the original sticker, and it doesn't mention anything about it. Also doesn't mention "Towing Package" or "Towing Option" which worries me a little. The step bumper has a placard that states it can carry a 3500# (350# tongue weight) trailer, but this model Explorer is supposed to be able to pull either a 4500#trailer (if it has a 3.55 rear end) or a 5900# trailer (with the 3.73 or 4.10 rear end), according to the owner's manual. I assume that I'll need to get a weight-distributing hitch to pull more than 3500#, regardless of which rear end it's got? Suggestions? Also, How do I find the hookup for...
Just bought an 07 XLT 4x4 tonight and looking into options as far as adding a clas IV hitch to it. Checked every dealer in town and nobody had one with the big hitch without the Eddie Bauer, which we had no intrest in. My first thought was to just replace it, no big deal right? Ya, till I discoverd Ford welded the damn thing to the frame. The dealer said they could add the big hitch. Says they do it all the time. I was intrigued and asked how. He said they mount it under the other one. Sounded kind of gay to me so Im wondering if there are any other options. And maybe if anybody has a picture of one that they have mounted a big hitch under the other one so I could see how bad it really looks.
How well do the Explorers tow at full capacity... I've got a 98 4 door RWD with the 4.0 and was just curious what to expect towing something thats right at the towing capacity's max.... I know gas mileage probley goes on vacation.. But does the engine pull well? Any power up hills and stuff? Just wondering what people who towed just about or at full capacity thought. Also.. Towing Mode.. Does it do anything besides lock out O/D?
I bought a used 99 Explorer and it came with a trailer hitch. I've never used it and it seems that there is a light flashing in the hitch control under the stearing wheel. It flashes 0.C....it also has 2 nobs on the side witch goes from -0.1 to 9.0. I wanted to know if the flashing of this 0.C is affecting the car in anyway or what is the reson for this? Help?
Back