navigation system on limited a real disapointment | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

navigation system on limited a real disapointment

My boyfriend has a $120k Corvette and the Nav in it sucks too. I've never seen a factor Nav that I've been impressed with actually. I just took delivery of my 2012 Limited last Friday and I can't even get the Nav to recognize where I am!! It still thinks the car is in Chicago....where it was built!! I've tried everything....

Did your Ex ever "find" itself? :)

I found a posting on another thread where the owner had the same problem. They were able to fix it by disconnecting the battery for 4 minutes. After reconnecting, the GPS worked fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, no sense. So I have the x LTD for two days, went to the Giants game tonight here's my review of the Nav feature while going to the ball park:
1) left Fairfield, ca, (NE of SFran. ), the Nav showed us traveling 85 miles to the park from home, it's only 44 miles.
2) closer we drove the time/ directions were actually telling us to drive around the bay, instead of going across the bay bridge ( much shorter way). This explains the around the bay trip.
3) once we crossed the bay bridge, it updated the route and gave the correct distance/ time.
4) on the way home I punch in the street I live on, can't find it, so I used the nearest cross street. It worked fine back home.

My opinion: not the best for sure. It's like a bad PC that needs to be updated, I did notice u
need to real patient with inputs, and it does ok. Voice activation work very good.

Did have some dropped Sirius signal issues in the tunnels, also under larger underpasses.

By the way the " adaptive cruise is fantasic".

I found a posting on another thread where the owner had the same problem. They were able to fix it by disconnecting the battery for 4 minutes. After reconnecting, the GPS worked fine.

Anyone happen to know,

Does that lose all radio station presets or have any other consequences (stored POI perhaps on NAV)?

Anyone happen to know,

Does that lose all radio station presets or have any other consequences (stored POI perhaps on NAV)?

From what I understand, disconnecting the battery erases most if not all of your personal settings.

Don't know on the radar detector.

Yes pulling the battery will reset and erase the settings you have stored ( according to the service guy) at the dealer my MFT was not working when i sat in the vehicle to check it out with there tech. person. This person was not the brightest person, so the service guy came out and pulled the battery cable.

I have not tied this myself.

Hehe, this is what I get for not checking my gMail account!

This is the response I received from Telenav after reporting a number of errors I found in their map/positioning data:

Yanez, Salvador to me

show details Jul 7

Hello Vince,

I was able to update our map provider with the details you described.

Once the Map provider updates / makes changes Telenav will follow.

Telenav updates map Quarterly throughout the year for phone applications.

SR# 482518-331635042

Thank You,

Sal Yanez

Telenav Escalations |cid:image001.jpg@01C9CC9A.A74A3CE0 TeleNav Inc.

www.TelenavTrack.com | www.Telenav.com
TeleNav Track 888.353.6282 | TeleNav 888.353.6284

Telenav Dealer Sales Support 866-302-7655 tdss@telenav.com

Seems to clarify the whole Telenav/Teleatlas relationship (not that we didn't already know that from other posts!)

I agree, no sense. So I have the x LTD for two days, went to the Giants game tonight here's my review of the Nav feature while going to the ball park:
1) left Fairfield, ca, (NE of SFran. ), the Nav showed us traveling 85 miles to the park from home, it's only 44 miles.
2) closer we drove the time/ directions were actually telling us to drive around the bay, instead of going across the bay bridge ( much shorter way). This explains the around the bay trip.
3) once we crossed the bay bridge, it updated the route and gave the correct distance/ time.
4) on the way home I punch in the street I live on, can't find it, so I used the nearest cross street. It worked fine back home.

My opinion: not the best for sure. It's like a bad PC that needs to be updated, I did notice u
need to real patient with inputs, and it does ok. Voice activation work very good.

Did have some dropped Sirius signal issues in the tunnels, also under larger underpasses.

By the way the " adaptive cruise is fantasic".
Is the bridge a toll bridge? Maybe you had it set to avoid toll bridges.

Navigation couldn't find any address in the town we were traveling to. We had to do this through voice because we were on the interstate. This was frustrating. Why the lockout. We have two people in the car -- Driver didn't have to operate. Because it couldn't find the street, we thought lets just enter the city. At least it would get us close. City entry seems to be locked out via voice. How can that make sense that I can voice an entire address, but not a city. So then I thought I would just scroll through the map to find the city myself. I tried a few different zoom levels and it wouldn't show me cities. I just had to guess. If anyone has idea on what might be better for next time I try to use the nav, please let me know.

ncgirl...
The perfect solution- move to Chicago!

Well, after having the vehicle about 5 days I get in it one morning and it has "fixed" itself and now realizes I'm in PA. Not sure why it suddenly worked?!? BUT, Chicago would have been a solution I suppose :)

Did your Ex ever "find" itself? :)

Actually, yes, after having the vehicle about 5 days it suddenly worked. Go figure. But thanks for the advice.

the lockout is ridiculous... and the warning messages like when starting a route get so tiring and can't believe you cant disable them after hearing the same thing a gazillion times. do you and your passengers really need to hear it every time you plug in a new destination when on a trip?

this past weekend had a good chance to play with it while cruising safely in the highway on the way to sanibel/captiva island. good thing we knew how to get there already cause we played with that thing for 30-60 minutes trying to get it to find our hotel or any poi we could think of to get directions in that area.

lucky my passengers and i could laugh it off. if we really needed to depend on it in a hurry or had passengers you dont want to see you look like an idiot trying to set a destination, then it would be different. as it was, it was entertaining and helped time pass with a good laugh.

geez, using the voice and the fact we spent that much time on it was MORE distracting and took more time off the road then it would have if they just allow the manual programming while in motion and let us plug in the address. so ridiculous when it can't figure out 'sanibel island' and you have to focus off the road to look at a list of possible cities and have to say 'next page' over and over.

navigon app on my iphone and you can find and set a destination in minutes and you're off. on the mft... really not as convenient.

Navigation could find any address in the town we were traveling to. We had to do this through voice because we were on the interstate. This was frustrating. Why the lockout. We have two people in the car -- Driver didn't have to operate. Because it couldn't find the street, we thought lets just enter the city. At least it would get us close. City entry seems to be locked out via voice. How can that make sense that I can voice an entire address, but not a city. So then I thought I would just scroll through the map to find the city myself. I tried a few different zoom levels and it wouldn't show me cities. I just had to guess. If anyone has idea on what might be better for next time I try to use the nav, please let me know.

Try this Calb;

Go to the following on your screen:

1 Menu
2 Settings
3 Navigation
4 Map Preference
5 Parking POI notification. (set to OFF)

To defeat the Navigation lock out follow the screen prompts above. This will allow your passenger to work the MFT. It works for me, V2.11

To defeat the Navigation lock out follow the screen prompts above. This will allow your passenger to work the MFT. It works for me, V2.11

That's strange. The manual indicates that this just controls the display of parking areas on the map. Just to be clear, this has allowed you to enter addresses and such via the touch screen while driving?

Ditto I would like clarification please, thanks.

Ditto I would like clarification please, thanks.

Sorry for any confusion.

Clarification: V2.11

On Navigation/Destination screen

Those listed below is what I see as unusable when moving:

1. Street Address
  2. Intersection
  3. City Center
  4. Latitude/Longitude
  5. Freeway Entrance/Exit
    May be other that I have not found yet

When Parking POI notification is turned off you can see the following when vehicle is moving:

1. Points of interests
  2. Weather Map info
  3. Fuel Prices
    May be others that I have not found yet.

Because of the inaccuracy of the Map Data, I use my Garmin which usually gets me where I want to go, so I never tried to use any of the unusable features when moving.

I can now see everyone's point in letting the passenger have access to the unusable features when vehicle is moving.

Even with the availability of the Points of interest, Weather map, Fuel prices, etc. when moving, I find as much detraction as probably the use of the unusable features.

I had i 2008 cts4 cadillac and the gps on that car did the same it would not let me use some features when car is in motion, and i think its a great safety feature !!!! With the slew of lawers that are just waiting for the oppertunitty to sue hey i would not take my chance neither. So bravo ford !!! Now the map being all screwed up that's not acceptable at all so talk to corey and he will help you !!!!

Huh

Hi Randy!

Tele Atlas and Telenav may release updates for their hand-held products quarterly; however, it's an industry standard for in-vehicle navigation system updates to be released on an annual basis. The new SD card will be released at some point in the beginning of 2012. Exact dates are unknown at this time.

Rebecca

Rebecca, I've been reading through the old posts....what you've said here is nothing but a cop out!
If there is a problem with any part of the car ..what we call..."recall" it needs to get fixed.
I'm not saying 32 a year but if anyone can't see from reading all these posts that there is a PROBLEM! that needs to be fixed.

Thoughtful, thought out, improving updates are always important to be didtributed when needed not "according to industry standards".
It's no wonder there are not more posts by the thousands here about problems...people read these responses & say outta here spend my time better some place else!

Kelly
"The missing space bar man"

All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to think. The trouble is that men very often resort to all sorts of devices in order not to think, because thinking is such hard work.
Thomas J. Watson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem fixed. Happy as can be.

Apparently I subscribed to this thread back when I was having problems with my recently purchased 2011 Explorer limited with literally every option. As a technologist and company man I hated MFT/Sync with a passion but really tried to love it. I ended up selling my explorer at a loss of several thousand dollars. Bought a 4Runner Limited (which was so much less it more than made up for it). Put a competitors tablet in the dash and a verizon Mifi and havnt looked back. My navigation and in car entertainment is fast and always up to date. I can use any of the features whenever I want. Its snappy and "just works", which was never once the case with my Explorer. Its never crashed leaving me without environmental controls.

Anyway, got a notice in my inbox this morning that this thread was updated and figured Id come by and tell some people how I found a solution. You can find me on toyota-4runner.org forums now. Good people over there.

Cheers!:salute:

Back