What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Checked oil/rad/steering fluid and sewed the rip in my drivers seat.

Installed kicker 6x9 speakers and jammed out yesterday (I recommend the upgrade) :dpchug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After changing the upper/lower ball joints on my '01 ST last week, I took it to the wheel alignment shop. No adjustable caster/camber bolts needed. Minor adjustments only. $66 and now has perfect alignment. On to the next breakdown.

"On to the next breakdown" :laugh:

4,000 mile camping trip (1,782 x 2 + side trips) with a 3,900lb trailer and 2 passengers + gear.

I just changed out all 4 door strikers. Solved about 95% of cab rattles! Best $40 I think I have spent on the truck.

I just changed out all 4 door strikers. Solved about 95% of cab rattles! Best $40 I think I have spent on the truck.

Have you replaced your body mounts yet? The OE mounts tend to disintegrate and cause door alignment and rattle problems, as well as a rough ride. I replaced mine with Prothane mounts. Huge difference afterwards. Now it rides like a different truck.

Have you replaced your body mounts yet? The OE mounts tend to disintegrate and cause door alignment and rattle problems, as well as a rough ride. I replaced mine with Prothane mounts. Huge difference afterwards. Now it rides like a different truck.

I have not had to do the body bushings so far. Mine is a southern truck, so to this point I have not had to deal with that issue.

Regarding the strikers I replaced, I did use Ford units I purchased on Ebay from a Ford dealer with an Ebay store. I figured $10 each is not bad.

I have not had to do the body bushings so far. Mine is a southern truck, so to this point I have not had to deal with that issue.

Yeah, my '01 ST is also a southern truck (a bit more southern than yours) and at 180k the 4 main body mount bushings were totally shot, basically non-existent, and it appeared they had been this way for some time. Keep an eye on them.

Agree the orange colored MCU foam mounts are a MAJOR issue with 2001-05 ST's and 2001-03 two-door Sports. I found mine weren't just falling apart, but gradually shrinking enough to bottom out the upper bushing sleeve against the lower mount flange causing noise and wear in the cab sheet metal. OEM foam mounts keep going up, the "C" upper is now over $350 everywhere. (1L5Z1000154CA)

Body Mount Shrinkage and Compression | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Yeah, there's no way I'd buy OE mounts (even if they were the same price as the aftermarket mounts). I've had the Prothane mounts for over a year now. I need to go back and re-torque them (as per Prothane's instructions) but i'm very happy with them. I paid under $100 for the complete set and with Amazon points I think it came to like $73 with free shipping.

Got some new roof rack cross bars, and a dome awning:

20161124_091951.jpg

20161124_091936.jpg

20161124_091925.jpg

20161125_124124.jpg

20161125_124135.jpg

Yeah, my '01 ST is also a southern truck (a bit more southern than yours) and at 180k the 4 main body mount bushings were totally shot, basically non-existent, and it appeared they had been this way for some time. Keep an eye on them.

I will keep my eye on them. I do check them periodically, and so far I do not notice obvious deterioration. My Cousin had an '02 Sport that did need them replaced, but his was originally a Michigan truck.

Thanks gtyates. Not quite $10 each as quoted in post #327, but still slightly less than Amazon. Gotta love Ford's parts system, they probably have five interchangeable strikers with different part numbers that are either superseded or discontinued. My dilemma now is either order the last three available, or leave my modded strikers in place. Thanks for the link, and Happy Holidays.

EDIT- And of course, that eBay seller doesn't ship to Hawaii. Yes, we are a U.S. state, and there is such a thing as flat rate shipping. :banghead:

Thanks gtyates. Not quite $10 each as quoted in post #327, but still the best price I've seen by far. Gotta love Ford's parts system. They probably have five interchangeable strikers with different part numbers that are either superseded or discontinued. My dilemma now is either order the last three available, or leave my modded strikers in place. Thanks for the link, and Happy Holidays.

EDIT- And of course, that eBay seller doesn't ship to Hawaii. Yes, we are a U.S. state, and there's such a thing as flat rate shipping. :banghead:

Hey Steve, if you want to have it shipped to me I'd be happy to ship it to you. You have my address. It can't be more difficult than mailing 4 hubcaps to Chile.

Thanks koda, very cool of you. After more thought, I just can't see paying almost $100 for four strikers, when all I need are 5 cent plastic bushings. As mentioned, my metal bushings "seem" to be working very well two weeks after I installed them. Problem is I'm thinking I saved that money by making my own, so I'm browsing the net searching for a $100 holiday gift for my Trac. LOL

Thanks koda, very cool of you. After more thought, I just can't see paying almost $100 for four strikers, when all I need are 5 cent plastic bushings. As mentioned, my metal bushings "seem" to be working very well two weeks after I installed them. Problem is I'm thinking I saved that money by making my own, so I'm browsing the net searching for a $100 holiday gift for my Trac. LOL

Well, If you ever need anything shipped to Hawaii just let me know.

A bag of circulated tens or twenties would be great. Thanks bro! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't do it this weekend, but recently replaced the rubber shifter boot on my ST. A bit tricky to do. (thanks RamdomNerd for the boot).

Back