Noise coming from rear of '09 Escape | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise coming from rear of '09 Escape

Hi guys! I wasn't sure where to post this so if this is the wrong area please let me know. I have a Ford Escape 2009 XLT V6 FWD and I've started noticing that when I take sharp/hard turns left or right (but more so left) the back wheels on whichever side is holding the weight during that turn makes this kind of scrunching metal spring sound that pulsates in and out kind of like wuhwuhwuhwuhwuh (So when I turn hard left it's in the back right and vice versa). It's not the brakes (at least I don't see how) as I purposely let off the brakes while turning and the sound is still the exact same. I'm trying my best to diagnose it as I can't really afford to get it diagnosed at the moment. It's not very bad (yet) either, as during normal driving and turning, it makes no sound, only when it's a relatively hard turn. I was reading up and while I couldn't find anyone describing the same noise, I heard that because the back brakes are drum brakes, that it could be two parts getting corroded and getting closer and closer together with the corrosion and that once a hard turn or turn is made the components touch due to the weight pushing them together. I don't know how that could be it because it really sounds like a metal scrunchy springy sound, not really a scrape (also I read that if it was corrosion touching, that if you make a hard turn it should scrape and remove some of it so the sound should be harder to recreate without making an even harder turn to get them to touch again. I tried this but the sound seems to remain the same under the same strength and speed of turn). I was going to jack it up and clean out the brakes to see if it'd make a difference but haven't gotten that far yet and thought I'd tap into the knowledge of some much more experienced people. I appreciate all of your help and hope I can get it figured out. Thanks!

Hi guys! I wasn't sure where to post this so if this is the wrong area please let me know. I have a Ford Escape 2009 XLT V6 FWD and I've started noticing that when I take sharp/hard turns left or right (but more so left) the back wheels on whichever side is holding the weight during that turn makes this kind of scrunching metal spring sound that pulsates in and out kind of like wuhwuhwuhwuhwuh (So when I turn hard left it's in the back right and vice versa). It's not the brakes (at least I don't see how) as I purposely let off the brakes while turning and the sound is still the exact same. I'm trying my best to diagnose it as I can't really afford to get it diagnosed at the moment. It's not very bad (yet) either, as during normal driving and turning, it makes no sound, only when it's a relatively hard turn. I was reading up and while I couldn't find anyone describing the same noise, I heard that because the back brakes are drum brakes, that it could be two parts getting corroded and getting closer and closer together with the corrosion and that once a hard turn or turn is made the components touch due to the weight pushing them together. I don't know how that could be it because it really sounds like a metal scrunchy springy sound, not really a scrape (also I read that if it was corrosion touching, that if you make a hard turn it should scrape and remove some of it so the sound should be harder to recreate without making an even harder turn to get them to touch again. I tried this but the sound seems to remain the same under the same strength and speed of turn). I was going to jack it up and clean out the brakes to see if it'd make a difference but haven't gotten that far yet and thought I'd tap into the knowledge of some much more experienced people. I appreciate all of your help and hope I can get it figured out. Thanks!
Anyone?

I took off my rear wheels to check it out and it appears the rear spring insulators on the bottom are cracked. They are this pathetically thin plastic ring on both sides under the springs and they aren't both cracked and sliding out half way. I assume this is the issue as when I look it up, people who have had this issue say they hear the same noise when turning. What do you suggest I do? I don't think I'd be able to replace them myself but it seems really stupid to have to take it in and pay a ridiculous sum to put in two 3-4mm thick plastic discs

Back