2013 interceptor utility brake issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 interceptor utility brake issue

I have used scantools to diagnose transmission/solenoid issues. I haven't had to use them on ABS modulator valves, but I would think there should be a similar set of diagnostic/testing features or the possibility to record what is going on with the brake system while driving the vehicle. If you have a stuck valve it is likely dumping pressure from one of the calipers and that should be able to be diagnosed by checking the pressure of each caliper with a load cell. If you do the proper diagnosis, you can usually isolate the issue before replacing any parts. If your mechanic isn't capable of doing the diagnostics, it may be time to find a new mechanic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Need serious help on this ! Running out of parts to replace. Is it possible this vehicle has frame damage ? Would that cause a pull only under heavy braking ? This vehicle tracks straight and stops straight under normal braking. Has new pads , rotors , hoses all around , new abs modulator and numerous other parts. It did have an accident on car fax and it was bought from a " reputable " so people say used police vehicle dealer in Florida.

I Need serious help on this ! Running out of parts to replace. Is it possible this vehicle has frame damage ? Would that cause a pull only under heavy braking ? This vehicle tracks straight and stops straight under normal braking. Has new pads , rotors , hoses all around , new abs modulator and numerous other parts. It did have an accident on car fax and it was bought from a " reputable " so people say used police vehicle dealer in Florida.
A body repair shop should be able to check the frame.

I talked to a local shop and they said 450.00 just to hook up to machine and Check . Is this brake pull only under sudden braking something that could be caused by bent frame ? Or would it always exhibit pulling under normal driving ?

I talked to a local shop and they said 450.00 just to hook up to machine and Check . Is this brake pull only under sudden braking something that could be caused by bent frame ? Or would it always exhibit pulling under normal driving ?
You can't do a 'proper' 4 wheel alignment if the frame is bent/damaged. Have you ever had an alignment done? Did you have an alignment done when you replaced suspension parts?

Ford said they did alignment but didn't give print out ? Also if the frame had damage wouldn't this cause constant pulling ?

Ford said they did alignment but didn't give print out ? Also if the frame had damage wouldn't this cause constant pulling ?
Something seems odd. Are you actually paying someone to diagnose/repair your vehicle? If yes, you should have gotten a written estimate/diagnosis and you should be asking for copies of any documents/reports generated.

If no, then you might want to consider that. It is not unreasonable to pay for an hour or two or shop time for a diagnosis, which some/most shops will credit towards repairs. If the shop does a repair that they said would fix the problem and it doesn't, then you need to work with that shop to figure out what they will do about that.

As far as alignment, it can cause all sorts of problems if not done properly - premature tire wear, uneven tire wear, pull while driving/braking, wandering/twitchy steering/heavy steering, and so on. Unfortunately, it does not seem like the proper diagnosis was done and a whole bunch of parts were replaced hoping they would fix the problem. It is probably time to go back to square one and have someone do the proper diagnosis. IMO, I would strongly suggest someone other than who you have been working with up to this point.

Could this be and abs issue ? Can I pull the abs fuse to see if that changes anything ? I had the abs solenoid changed but they re used the abs module on it ? Could that module itself cause the problem

Yes. You can most likely pull the ABS fuse which will disable the ABS and Stability control systems.

If you have a GoPro or similar style camera, you might want to figure out an attachment method to point it one at a time at the suspension components on all four corners. When you brake hard, you may see a shift in suspension geometry which may help pinpoint the issue, if it's outside of the braking system. Another item you might want to try is a couple of hard stops where you produce the pull and immediately use a non-contact IR thermometer to read the temperature of the rotors. If one rotor is hotter/cooler than the other, it would possibly help trace the brake issue. The cooler side could indicate less than ideal braking force, or the hotter side could indicate a drag or some other issue. A brake issue can be the result of a caliper not applying sufficient clamping force. I do know the early PIU's had reported brake line issues if I recall. You could have a flexible brake hose which is expanding under maximum braking pressure, thus reducing the clamping force on the opposite side of the pull.

Already suggested some basic troubleshooting including ir thermometer. Op seems more interested in just replacing parts rather than answer questions or diagnosing. Good luck.

They should have given you a 'before' and 'after' printout. My dealer does a free alignment check when I bring my vehicle for regular maintenance and always provides the printout results.

Peter

I'm gonna call ford this morning about the alignment print out . If alignment is off won't that cause a constant pull and NOT only when braking ?

They should have given you a 'before' and 'after' printout. My dealer does a free alignment check when I bring my vehicle for regular maintenance and always provides the printout results.

Peter
Seems to still have same problem after loads of parts replaced. I’m thinking that the frame or something is bent due to the fact it’s still not fixed. I’m guessing I have to have it put on a frame machine for approx 500.00 just to hook it up. I caution everyone to NOT make the same mistake I did and trust good reviews from a used police vehicle dealer in largo FL . Does anyone know if a bent frame would only pull under HARD sudden braking ?

If the vehicle can be properly aligned, then it should not be a bent frame. Normally you can't align something correctly if the frame or suspension components are bent. If you have a bad suspension component, such as a bushing, it could do it. We've given you a lot of good info, perform a single 50 MPH panic stop and immediately check the temperature of the brake discs. They should be even, side to side. If they are not within 5%, it would indicate an issue. The flexible brake lines could be expanding under full brake pressure, thus decreasing the clamping force of a caliper. As I mentioned previously, there were hose issues on the earlier Police Utilities if I recall.

Do the basics. I'd jack the car up, put it safely on secure jack stands and take a large pry bar to every suspension component I can get at. I'd be looking for any deflection in bushings, ball joints, steering rack, etc. Don't go crazy with prying, but you need to see if you can get anything to move on the front or back which could be causing something to deflect. I'd be checking those brake disc temps for consistency.

You could also buy a brake pressure gauge kit, which would be installed in place of a brake bleeder. Remove the air from the system after the installing the gauge and then with the vehicle running, apply full brake force. You may find one corner has less PSI than the rest.

Brake hoses new , calipers new, rotors new , struts new , brake pads new. I’m at a complete loss for answers here

Brake hoses new , calipers new, rotors new , struts new , brake pads new. I’m at a complete loss for answers here

I'm at a complete loss to help you if you won't try the basics!

1. CHECK TEMPS OF BRAKE DISCS AFTER A SINGLE PANIC STOP IMMEDIATELY
2. CHECK SUPENSION COMPONENTS BY USING A PRY BAR TO CHECK FOR DEFLECTION. FOCUS ON BUSHINGS AND BALLJOINTS.
3. POST ALIGNMENT SPECS
4. CHECK BRAKE PRESSURES

I've been working on cars for 25+ years and have been working in the automotive industry for over 20. I'm trying to help you here bud, but if you won't get your hands dirty, we can't do much for you. If you post back details, I'll continue to respond. If not, I wish you the best in getting your issues sorted out.

What other parts should I check ? Both front control arms are new . Dealer said everything else looks good ? Will take for another alignment hopefully tomorrow

Also , will an alignment issue only pull when braking hard / sudden ? Car seems to drive and track straight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I've mentioned, and if you would focus on the actions I mention, you might find resolution. In addition, there are a lot of parts in the front and rear suspension, over and above what you replaced. If you want to make progress, review what I wrote above. I've given you simple things to check. More messages is not going to get you any closer to a fix unless you go get your hands dirty.

An alignment if set correctly shouldn't change drastically under panic stops. If you have a suspension component moving due to a bad bushing, it could cause a pull. Uneven brake pressures will do it too. Again, the ball is in your court.

Back