• Register Today It's free!

Could anybody recommend a car lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread was renamed & moved into the Tools & Garage section. I have a car lift from Harbor Freight. I don't recommend this lift for several reasons. It's a scissor design with a separate hydraulic pump.
1. The arm & hose on the pump broke shortly after I got it after only a few uses.
2. The adjusting bars for the height never reached high enough. I had to add several supports which didn't fit correctly, and broke several times.
3. There's a support cross bar in the front which prevents you from performing transmission work since it's in the way. I had to remove it, but this weakened the structural integrity of the lift, and it twists without it.
4. It weighs over 800 LBS so it's not easy to move.
5. The price was under $1,000 at the time, but is now over $1,500. You could get a name brand lift such as BendPak for a similar price which is better quality. They now make an ultra portable version which uses two separate halves to get a completely open center. The two halves are also much lighter, and are easier to transport. Take a look at the photo below.

F138473787[1].jpg

A friend of mine has a Bendpak HD-9 in his personal shop. He trusts it enough to have one of his collector cars up on it with another collector car under that. A very solid unit from what I have seen of it :thumbsup:

Richard Rawlings on Garage Rehab uses Bendpak on his remodels :popcorn:

I had a smaller bendpak move able unit that worked great up to 5k lbs (I think). I sold it to replace it with a 9k fixed unit. I used it to rebuild axles and a workbench more than lifting vehicles. Plus with a only a 1200 Sq ft shop and already having (1) 10k 2 post lift and rack shelving it was a pain to move my forklift around with the floor lift.

How often are you going to use it? What is the biggest thing you want to lift? I do not recommend any of those atlas style Chinese lifts.

Pay close attention to lift heights, the height underneath the vehicle when it's up. 99% of them are made for short short people, say under 5'5". There are a rare few that'll lift to over 6', but you have to look for them. Once you bang your head on a lift arm while underneath, you'll cuss the makers for building them too short.

I'd suggest the typical two post lift if space is an issue, they take up less room than the four post versions. A mobile lift would be very nice, great for a shop that needs it.

I thought of that four post type for my garage, I've got a 10'9" space. But the idea was to store one above, ...then it hit me, the garage door won't open with the lift posts(I have a normal garage door). Bad idea, I hope nobody has done that before. So mine is still outside at a friend's garage.

Be sure to cut/dig a nice deep hole for the posts if permanent, you want lots of re-bar and strong concrete.

Projectthread000.JPG

Guys, thank you for taking time to post. I started a similar thread in one of the Mustang Forums, and got nothing back, just views. Encouraged by you all, here's some background. I am 75, and the days when I routinely yanked an FX or FMX transmission out lying on my back, lowered it onto my chest, then slid it off sideways onto the floor, are behind me. The need to keep working is not, though. Starting during my mid-teens, the hot home-builds were big-block Ford, 352, 390, dropped into '55 Merc, '56 Ford, etc. I had to learn most of the skilled trades by doing them. Plenty of mistakes along the way (old farts like to tell stories, if you will bear with me). Bought Sears Differential Chain Hoist, cut down 2 Maple trees, which formed the support for raising engines, then roll the car out of the garage. It was a way of life. Bought tools as needed, tanks and torches, 220-volt "buzzbox", still have it, still works. My Merc. had a Dana 44 in it originally, welded spider gears to differential case. Later went to 9-inch. That car wound up with a 430 Lincoln MEL in it, which later found it's way into a brand-new '64 Falcon, then a '63 later, T-10s both, 9-inch, both.

So, the "need" is still there, the rocking chair beckons, but damned if I'll give in, 'cause then I'll die. Thus the need for a lift. Driving now a 2004 Ex. 4.0 SOHC w/5R55S. Lately, it's sort of shuddered a bit in 5th. gear, loosened and re-torqued Overdrive Band, backed off only 1-1/2 turns instead of 2 (shop manual says 2 for cars, 1-1/2 for trucks). No shudder, but borrowed time, no doubt. Truck runs better than could be asked for. Transmission time, soon. Need a lift!

@boominXplorer with 1200 sq. ft., wish I had as much; my "shop" is an oversized garage, 24 X 32, what, 800 sq. ft.? I have my trusty lathe, Bridgeport Milling Machine with all the goodies, arc, MIG, gas welding rigs, 12" horizontal band saw, 20 ton axle press, bench grinder, big heavy-duty Cherry-picker, numerous jack stands, but NO LIFT!

First chore was to get head-room. Roof trusses bottom chord are 96" above floor line. I added 2X8 Doug Fir rafters "shot" to the truss's top chords, added a 2X8 Joist at 116" above floor, cut off the bottoms of four 2-foot O. C. trusses, and added a 5-foot triangular web up at the top, gaining an overhead "hole" 10 feet by 12 feet, into which the roof of most cars can be raised. Explorer, no, only a bit over 4-foot lift; I'll improvise on that. I'm 5'-6", so don't need BIG headroom. Here's a few pics:

'94 Mustang GT roofline 54", will fit in the "hole" nicely. The trusses in background indicate what has been removed, the new rafters and joists visible. I went ahead with this amidst dire predictions from members; the roofline "sagged" an immeasurable amount.
mizza_10.jpg

Another view of the joists, which are the upper height limit at 116", just under 10 feet.
mizza_12.jpg

The lathe I got at 15, still holds to very close tolerances.
mizza_11.jpg

Bridgeport Mill, cherry picker, band saw, peeking out from behind the roll-around a Motorsports brand-new 5.0 HO! I have more for later, if I haven't worn out my welcome! imp
mizza_13.jpg

Old school equipment :thumbsup:

A friend of mine has a Bendpak HD-9 in his personal shop. He trusts it enough to have one of his collector cars up on it with another collector car under that. A very solid unit from what I have seen of it :thumbsup:

Richard Rawlings on Garage Rehab uses Bendpak on his remodels :popcorn:

Bendpak is a very reputable name in auto lifts. That's what I want to get when I can afford it.

Old school equipment :thumbsup:
@toypaseo
Yessir! Here's how I lifted those heavy 2X8s up under the roof sheathing, adding maybe 100 lbs. upward force to relieve stress on the existing trusses:

rafter10.jpg

rafter13.jpg

rafter14.jpg

Dangdest use ever for that old cherry picker. I bought it off a travelling salesman while living in Phoenix, he had driven out from Arkansas where his company built the stuff with a big truckload of equipment, picker included, was selling the stuff out of industrial parking lots, $300! Caused a bit of a problem with my new wife, though, money was tight, we had just moved from Indiana.........know how that goes? imp

That's a great idea :thumbsup:

A cherry picker can lift an end easily, a whole piece may be too cumbersome. My two post lift we got off one end at a time, using a dolly to roll the other end to the edge. The truck mine came off of was about four feet high, to the flatbed. Hopefully you'll have a big truck come with a rear lift on it, to help.

Check out Challenger lifts. They are more wallet friendly and I they are still mostly made in the USA. I've got a 9k 2 post that's at almost 20 years old that I've replaced a few parts on (lock cable, arm locks, slider blocks) but it works like a champ. I bought it used for $400 and put about another $600 in it.

I'd like a 4 post but I feel 2 post lifts are more versatile.

1516196480710.jpg

1516196527739.jpg

@boominXplorer Great advice, thanks! We share identical thoughts about 2 vs 4 post, but I fear this:

lift_f10.jpg

Inadequately reinforced concrete/inadequate or improperly installed anchors. Either = Disaster. 4-post precludes this (unless the G.D.n'd structure fails). imp

Found this gem on the Bendpak site...

pipe-lift.jpg

Auto Lift FP8K-DX Car-Park-8 Car Storage Lift 8K lb | 4 Post Parking Lift

I've been looking for one for one of the homes I have under construction in Palm Beach.

I have gotten quotes from just about every lift manufacturer I could find, and this one is the one that I think is going in.

I like the fact that it has a caster kit that allows the lift to be relocated when needed by simply snapping the casters in place and lowering the lift, which will raise the entire assembly onto the casters allowing it to be rolled by one person.

They quoted me $2800 complete, delivered and installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like those also. being able to move it would be great for a garage with the room(tall ceiling). Mine is a normal length with a normal height door, so I'd have to install a much taller door to use the stacking kind of lifts. My house would look very odd then, with a 10' door, which is already at the front of my house closest to the road. Maybe my next house.

Back
Top Bottom