Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side

Post number 6 has been selected as best answered.

kelleybp

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'm having a substantial water issue in the foot area of the front passenger side after any heavy rain event. There's so much water in the foot that the carpet and floor mat are soaked and wet to the touch. Will be taking it to the dealer. Wanted to see if there were any other experiences or an easy fix in the meantime. And before anyone asks the windows aren't rolled down. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a sunroof? There was another person who had a water leak issue and it turned out the factory didn't install a drain tube.

Welcome to the Forum Kelley. :wave: As Rick mentioned, it could be a drain tube issue. That usually results in water pooling in the footwells.

Peter

Do you have a sunroof? There was another person who had a water leak issue and it turned out the factory didn't install a drain tube.
I do have the panoramic moon roof. Will ask the dealer about the drain tube issue.

I don't know if the 6th gen is different from the 5th gen Explorer is regards to the drain tube locations but the following post will give you an idea of where they are in the 5th gen Explorer. Moonroof Drain hoses c/w diagram

Peter

Thought I’d update this post in case anyone else came here looking for help with a similar problem. Turns out my issue was not related to the vehicle at all, but was caused by an aftermarket windshield replacement that wasn’t installed properly. Second install from the glass company fixed the issue. Thanks to all for the replies.

Thank you for reporting back. :thumbsup:

Peter

@kelleybp

Thanks for closing the loop!

Hi! I'm having this issue with my 2020 XLT.

Hi! I'm having this issue with my 2020 XLT.
Do you have a moonroof? The most common cause for water pooling in the footwells is a blocked drain tube from the moonroof.
BTW your thread was moved to the 6th gen forum and merged with this one. The member you originally asked/quoted hasn't been seen here for over 3 years.

Peter

Do you have a moonroof? The most common cause for water pooling in the footwells is a blocked drain tube from the moonroof.
BTW your thread was moved to the 6th gen forum and merged with this one. The member you originally asked/quoted hasn't been seen here for over 3 years.

Peter
Oh ok. I'm new here. Didn't realize. Yes, I do have a panoramic moon roof. I considered that but, my 2nd row seat wasn't wet.

Oh ok. I'm new here. Didn't realize. Yes, I do have a panoramic moon roof. I considered that but, my 2nd row seat wasn't wet.
The drains won't affect the seats since they only seem to spill onto the floor. I don't know if the 6th gen drains are configured the same as the 5th gen or not. Here is the 5th gen;

14 Explorer Drain Tubes.jpg

The drains won't affect the seats since they only seem to spill onto the floor. I don't know if the 6th gen drains are configured the same as the 5th gen or not. Here is the 5th gen;

View attachment 339862

We just bought a 2022 MY Explorer limited with the panoramic roof which has ~1500 miles on it. After a few really hard downpours / heavy rains and the drivers side rear foot well carpet is very wet at the back left corner. Can anyone tell me, or show me exactly where the rear roof drain exits the body? My local dealer couldn't find a leak after having it for three days. I would really like to go back to the dealer armed with detailed information on exactly what to look for. At least it has all it's computer chips, but the water intrusion is a big deal. Thank's in advance for any and all help, or suggestions.

The dealer knows exactly where the drain tubes are and where they exit the vehicle. If your dealer can't find the problem then they are idiots and you need to take it somewhere else and get Ford involved. They have to fix it - they put a warranty on it. You might have to fight for it - and that's sad - but they have to fix it.
Having said that - make sure someone didn't spill something back there and not tell you about it.

No spills. First occurrence: it was parked in the driveway, rained hard overnight, carpet in foot well behind drivers seat was wet the next day. Second occurrence: yesterday: carpet in foot well behind drivers seat was totally dry, the sun was shining, parked at the mall, went into a store, rained hard while in store, came out after rain stopped, carpet in the foot well behind drivers seat was wet again. Not only did the first dealer have it for 3 days, where it didn't rain at all for those 3 days, they also drove it for 6 miles and couldn't explain why. Not going back there.

I would still like to know the exact location of where the drivers side rear drain tube exits the body. I'm feeling that I need to find a different dealer and provide as much detailed information on the probable cause of the leak so I can get it fixed and be done with this issue. At least it has all of it's computer chips ,but the leak in a big deal for me.

The dealer knows exactly where the drain tubes are and where they exit the vehicle. If your dealer can't find the problem then they are idiots and you need to take it somewhere else and get Ford involved. They have to fix it - they put a warranty on it. You might have to fight for it - and that's sad - but they have to fix it.
Having said that - make sure someone didn't spill something back there and not tell you about it.
The member didn't say that the dealer couldn't find the drains, just that they couldn't find a leak.

Peter

We just bought a 2022 MY Explorer limited with the panoramic roof which has ~1500 miles on it. After a few really hard downpours / heavy rains and the drivers side rear foot well carpet is very wet at the back left corner. Can anyone tell me, or show me exactly where the rear roof drain exits the body? My local dealer couldn't find a leak after having it for three days. I would really like to go back to the dealer armed with detailed information on exactly what to look for. At least it has all it's computer chips, but the water intrusion is a big deal. Thank's in advance for any and all help, or suggestions.
Welcome to the Forum Bob. :wave:
If the picture above is similar to the 2022 model then the drain seems to be in the same place as the wet area that you decsribed.

Peter

from the 2021 service manual

Screenshot 2022-05-07 141624.jpg Screenshot 2022-05-07 141853.jpg Screenshot 2022-05-07 142724.jpg

No spills. First occurrence: it was parked in the driveway, rained hard overnight, carpet in foot well behind drivers seat was wet the next day. Second occurrence: yesterday: carpet in foot well behind drivers seat was totally dry, the sun was shining, parked at the mall, went into a store, rained hard while in store, came out after rain stopped, carpet in the foot well behind drivers seat was wet again. Not only did the first dealer have it for 3 days, where it didn't rain at all for those 3 days, they also drove it for 6 miles and couldn't explain why. Not going back there.

I would still like to know the exact location of where the drivers side rear drain tube exits the body. I'm feeling that I need to find a different dealer and provide as much detailed information on the probable cause of the leak so I can get it fixed and be done with this issue. At least it has all of it's computer chips ,but the leak in a big deal for me.
Yeah - that's bad. I hope they weren't waiting for it to rain so they could diagnose it - surely they have a hose. Maybe the dealership doesn't have running water 🤣
The member didn't say that the dealer couldn't find the drains, just that they couldn't find a leak.

Peter
Understood - just pointing out that it's not his job to even know if it has drains much less where they are. I have a feeling this dealership couldn't find the problem if you circled it with a crayon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every time it rains my passenger floorboard is soaked. I do not have a sun roof. When I feel under the glove box area I can feel wet/water near the right side but its not getting the inside of the glove box wet. It is only after a hard rain.

Back