• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Explorer 4.0 or 4.6?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
I'm considering a 4th Gen Explorer, and I'm wondering if people prefer the 4.0 V6 or the 4.6 V8. Also, is the transmission with either more reliable?

It seems the main problems with this generation of Explorer is the transmission and timing chain failure, so I'm wondering which is the more reliable route to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a no brainer. Buy a V8 4th gen and, if possible, make it a 2009-2010 model. I could type a long list of reasons to take my advice but I have done this so many times the past four years that I can't do it again. Here are the main reasons:
  • The 4.6L 3V engine is much more reliable than the 4.0L SOHC V6. The V6's Achilles's Heel is its timing chain guides and tensioners. They regularly fail and it is an engine out repair at a minimum. At worst the failure is catastrophic and takes out the engine which can run $4k-$5k to install a new one.
  • The 5R55 transmissions that come with the V6 models is notorious for failing any time after 100k miles. This usually requires a rebuilt transmission to be installed for $2k-$3.5k. The 6R60/80 transmissions that come with the V8 models are one of Ford's most reliable transmissions. They have been used in the F150, Mustangs and Explorers/Mountaineers for many years and have shown to be very reliable and tough.
  • The 4.6L 3V V8 makes 82 more horsepower than the V6 and gets better gas mileage. I get 21 mpg on the highway if I keep the speed to 65 mph and 18-19 mpg running 75 mph. The V6s get around 15-17 mpg and sometimes worse.
If you want to further hedge your bets then buy a 2009-2010 V8 model because there were improvements made to the heads that resolved some issues with the spark plugs, some think the wiring harness in these model years are more reliable and the transmission was upgraded from the 6R60 to a 6R80 variation that has a slightly higher torque rating.

You should take the V6 models off your list completely. I have seen too many people come here and post about buying a 3rd or 4th gen SOHC V6 and find that they have paid $7k-$8k to replace the engine and transmission. Also, find one from an area that doesn't salt the roads even if you have to travel to buy it. Most of the vehicles that have lived in the Rust Belt are rusted to hell and back. Many are just a few years from going to the salvage yard and the ones that aren't are rusted to the point that repairs become problematic. Getting a Carfax on vehicles you are seriously considering is highly recommended. The can tell where a vehicle has been over its life (good for avoiding rust buckets), can give accident history and maintenance history. They may not show everything but it is valuable information none the less.

Well, I guess I got long winded after all.

Get the v8 don't get me wrong I don't like the 4.6s or at least the 2valves have had some pretty bad luck with them but the 6r80 or 6r60 are practical bulletproof with having 2 5rs go out on me I'm not having another vehicle with it in it. Good luck trying to find them though.

Here's a list of Ford V6 engines that are 100% reliable and bulletproof:

This is a no brainer. Buy a V8 4th gen and, if possible, make it a 2009-2010 model. I could type a long list of reasons to take my advice but I have done this so many times the past four years that I can't do it again. Here are the main reasons:
  • The 4.6L 3V engine is much more reliable than the 4.0L SOHC V6. The V6's Achilles's Heel is its timing chain guides and tensioners. They regularly fail and it is an engine out repair at a minimum. At worst the failure is catastrophic and takes out the engine which can run $4k-$5k to install a new one.
  • The 5R55 transmissions that come with the V6 models is notorious for failing any time after 100k miles. This usually requires a rebuilt transmission to be installed for $2k-$3.5k. The 6R60/80 transmissions that come with the V8 models are one of Ford's most reliable transmissions. They have been used in the F150, Mustangs and Explorers/Mountaineers for many years and have shown to be very reliable and tough.
  • The 4.6L 3V V8 makes 82 more horsepower than the V6 and gets better gas mileage. I get 21 mpg on the highway if I keep the speed to 65 mph and 18-19 mpg running 75 mph. The V6s get around 15-17 mpg and sometimes worse.
If you want to further hedge your bets then buy a 2009-2010 V8 model because there were improvements made to the heads that resolved some issues with the spark plugs, some think the wiring harness in these model years are more reliable and the transmission was upgraded from the 6R60 to a 6R80 variation that has a slightly higher torque rating.

You should take the V6 models off your list completely. I have seen too many people come here and post about buying a 3rd or 4th gen SOHC V6 and find that they have paid $7k-$8k to replace the engine and transmission. Also, find one from an area that doesn't salt the roads even if you have to travel to buy it. Most of the vehicles that have lived in the Rust Belt are rusted to hell and back. Many are just a few years from going to the salvage yard and the ones that aren't are rusted to the point that repairs become problematic. Getting a Carfax on vehicles you are seriously considering is highly recommended. The can tell where a vehicle has been over its life (good for avoiding rust buckets), can give accident history and maintenance history. They may not show everything but it is valuable information none the less.

Well, I guess I got long winded after all.
I really appreciate everything you wrote, and it confirmed my own beliefs about the V6s vs. the V8s and their transmissions.

I have two follow up questions, for you and anyone else:

1. Do people think the 2003-2008 V8s are still worth considering? It sounds like there might be some improvements in the 2009-10 models and I definitely prefer the 2006 changes, but that narrows the options.

2. Is the 2nd Gen with the 5.0 worth considering, from a reliability perspective? A completely different vehicle I know, but sometimes those old, simple vehicles have proven to be robust and easy to fix.

Thank you again for all the info!

Get the v8 don't get me wrong I don't like the 4.6s or at least the 2valves have had some pretty bad luck with them but the 6r80 or 6r60 are practical bulletproof with having 2 5rs go out on me I'm not having another vehicle with it in it. Good luck trying to find them though.
What type of bad luck have you had with the 4.6?

What type of bad luck have you had with the 4.6?
I've had one in our 2000 crown vic that hydro locked itself with only 62,000 miles on it. Then our 04 explorer started getting a bottom end knock out of nowhere we traded it for 5th gen that we despised. I prefer the 302s there much more reliable but good luck trying to get one with low mileage.

I'm considering a 4th Gen Explorer, and I'm wondering if people prefer the 4.0 V6 or the 4.6 V8. Also, is the transmission with either more reliable?

It seems the main problems with this generation of Explorer is the transmission and timing chain failure, so I'm wondering which is the more reliable route to go.
easy: 4.6 3v and a 09 or 10. 07-8 had some witingg deterioration issues, solved by 09. 09 has stronger 6r80 trans, potentially driverrain wise the best explorer ever made, contesting the 5.0 and 4r70w level good. 4.0 has toming chain, and although the 5r55s is beefed over the 5r55e still nowhere near the 6r80, and suffers from the same issues

I really appreciate everything you wrote, and it confirmed my own beliefs about the V6s vs. the V8s and their transmissions.

1. Do people think the 2003-2008 V8s are still worth considering? It sounds like there might be some improvements in the 2009-10 models and I definitely prefer the 2006 changes, but that narrows the options.

2. Is the 2nd Gen with the 5.0 worth considering, from a reliability perspective? A completely different vehicle I know, but sometimes those old, simple vehicles have proven to be robust and easy to fix.

Thank you again for all the info!
03-05 had the 5r55w behind the 4.6 2v. still 5r55e based, not worth it imo. 06-08 still better than the 3-5, but id really look for 9/10.

absolutely!!! these are tanks, and theres a reason why theyre coming out of sheds and barns everywhere lately, haha, rediscovering the shidden gem of the 5.0. definitely though the 5.0 is on par with the 4.6, but alot simpler. granted it makes significantly less power but its alot simpler

heres how i see it

5.0 4r70w, tried and true truck motor, no frills

4.6, makes more power, quite reliable, but maybe not 100% of where the 5.0 is. 6r80 great trans
I've had one in our 2000 crown vic that hydro locked itself with only 62,000 miles on it. Then our 04 explorer started getting a bottom end knock out of nowhere we traded it for 5th gen that we despised. I prefer the 302s there much more reliable but good luck trying to get one with low mileage.
interesint! have been around alot of 2v fleet vehicles, and have seen enxt to no issues with them.

The 4.6L 2V V8 in the 2002-2005 Explorers/Mountaineers are arguably the most reliable V8 Ford has ever produced. The problem is that all 2002-2005 models come with the 5R55 transmission. I would rather have a 2002-2005 V8 model than a 2006-2010 V6 model. Any 2006-2010 V8 is better than the 2002-2005 V8 models, IMO.
It is worth considering but buying such an old vehicle comes with its own set of issues. Rust, worn components, worn interiors etc. is the norm for these vehicles. While the V8 engine in these models are reliable, all the other parts that will likely need replaced can nickle and dime you as bad as an engine and/or transmission failure. Especially if you are paying someone to do the work. Also, sourcing parts for older vehicles has become very problematic in the past few years.

03-05 had the 5r55w behind the 4.6 2v. still 5r55e based, not worth it imo. 06-08 still better than the 3-5, but id really look for 9/10.

absolutely!!! these are tanks, and theres a reason why theyre coming out of sheds and barns everywhere lately, haha, rediscovering the shidden gem of the 5.0. definitely though the 5.0 is on par with the 4.6, but alot simpler. granted it makes significantly less power but its alot simpler

heres how i see it

5.0 4r70w, tried and true truck motor, no frills

4.6, makes more power, quite reliable, but maybe not 100% of where the 5.0 is. 6r80 great trans

interesint! have been around alot of 2v fleet vehicles, and have seen enxt to no issues with them.
I'm not saying the 3rd gen wasn't a great vehicle hell if I had the money I would put a new motor in it. I loved that 3rd gen been looking for one ever since I guess I just don't know the 4.6 quarks.

I'm not saying the 3rd gen wasn't a great vehicle hell if I had the money I would put a new motor in it. I loved that 3rd gen been looking for one ever since I guess I just don't know the 4.6 quarks.
The 4.6L 2V engines don't really have any major issues. They regularly run for 300k-400k miles with good maintenance in Crown Vic taxis. The variable timing components in the 3V engines require the oil to be changed at 5k miles to keep them functioning for the long term. Even then, changing the VVT solenoids and cam phasers isn't a hard, or expensive, job. In return though, they deliver around 50 more horsepower, better gas mileage and more torque than the 2V engines. I have seen a lot of people here with 4th gen V8 models having 300k miles on them and they are still going strong. As with any engine, without good maintenance they won't be reliable over the long run.

To provide a good point to the previous post; I know of an owner of an 07 4.6 Explorer. Changes the oil maybe once a year and drives the piss out of it. It finally gave up the ghost...only had 180K on it...bought from the original owner. Her (2nd owner, the one who ran it to death): "it's a effing ford...JUNK!"

You get out of em what you put into 'em.

There are the occasional lemon units and those aren't just limited to the blue oval.

And I'll say it again:
Here's a list of all the reliable, durable Ford V6 engines:

(no such thing exists)

To provide a good point to the previous post; I know of an owner of an 07 4.6 Explorer. Changes the oil maybe once a year and drives the piss out of it. It finally gave up the ghost...only had 180K on it...bought from the original owner. Her (2nd owner, the one who ran it to death): "it's a effing ford...JUNK!"

There are the occasional lemon units and those aren't just limited to the blue oval.

And I'll say it again:

(no such thing exists)
Ohv v6 says hi!

Ohv v6 says hi!
The one I had in my '94 EB that ran flawlessly to 200k miles before I sold it. As did the transmission. I changed fluids in both religiously. IMO, good fluid maintenance would save a lot of vehicles from going to an early grave.

The fact it made it to 180k miles with likely few oil changes while being driven hard says something good about the reliability of the 4.6L 3V engines. It also says something good about the 6R60 transmissions because I doubt it was ever serviced.

The one I had in my '94 EB that ran flawlessly to 200k miles before I sold it. As did the transmission I changed fluids in both religiously. IMO, good fluid maintenance would save a lot of vehicles from going to an early grave.
Ain't that the truth!
Just for my own knowledge, why did you hate it?
Fwd based platform just didn't work In my opinion. During our first winter we tried putting in the down hill mode the thing locked up and went sideways. We thought we broke it. **** I feel my fusion has done a better job in its first winter. The only thing nice I'll say about those is the cargo space. I don't really remember it to well as after that we traded it. Plus medical issues were a pain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I'll say it again:

(no such thing exists)
mmmm 4.0 ohv 2.9 those come to mind bow the trans behind those v6s.,. heh.

Back