Tow Rig Forum | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Hey guys, quick question: What is the difference between the standard class II hitch on all the 2002+ explorers and the factory class III/IV hitch besides weight increasing of towing? Does the class class II and Class III/IV mount to the frame of the vehicle the same way? Is the increased towing weight increased from the class II to a class III/IIV hitch accomplished by a beefier hitch or is it mounted to the frame with more bolts? I guess my basic question is that do all hitch sizes share a common mounting place on the frame? If not, what are the differences in the ways the different sizes of hitches mount to the frame? Thanks. Thanks
This may or may not be a really silly question, I'm completely stupid when it comes to cars....and especially when it comes to electrical stuff for cars. I bought my 2000 ford explorer limited a year ago with plans to use it for towing. I know it has the two package, but I'm curious as to what this plug is that I found under my steering wheel next to my hood release. I'm thinking it's probably the diagnostic system hook up, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Here are the pictures of the plug:
Hello--I might buy a custom travel trailer with a truck axle and heavy springs. I would like to tow 4000lb plus the trailer. So figure around 4400lb total. My explorer has a towing capacity of 5680lb. One of my concerns is stopping safely. Even though my truck can tow that trailer, can it stop it? Is there a weight threshold that suggest it might be a good idea to have electric brakes? Thank you. Leo
Hi all, We are looking to get a new family vehicle and the wife has fallen in love with a clean Explorer at a dealership. The issue I have currently is this is going to be replacing our 98 Dodge Ram and I have used that truck for a lot of truck duties. Hauling material to build a shed, hauling several cars with a car trailer, hauling a 3500lb popup camping as well as going hunting. I was going to simply get a trailer to pull behind the Exp to take over truck duties, but the one we are looking at has a class II hitch that is welded to the frame? So therefore it has a 3500lb limit. My questions is, looking at a factory brochure there is a 4x4 4.0 v6 that has a class III/IV options listed with a 5205lb towing capacity. Other than the...
Hi all. There is a really clean 93 Explorer xlt for sale near me, i think its a v6 its a 4 door i am interested, but i need a car that i can drive everyday, but it also must serve as a tow vehicle for a racecar and car trailer. Dose anyone know what the towing capacity is for this vehicle? I would probably be towing in the ballpark of like 4000 lbs (vehicle and trailer) I would really like to get this vehicle if it can fill my needs. thanks!
I am looking at 06-08 used Explorers and am having an awful time getting a feel for a vehicle's tow rating. Is there an easy way to, at a distance or over the web, determine an Explorer's tow rating? I've got a boat that weighs 3500 on the trailer with gas and moderate gear load. I know the base, 1 1/4 hitch is good for 3500. So, that's not going to work for me. Curiously, I've seen this hitch on both 8 and 6 cylinder engines. I see some V6s that come with a factory 2" hitch and 7 pin plug, is it safe to assume that's a class 3 package and is rated at 5k lbs? Ideally I'd chose a V8 but, that's proving a bit tough to track down. Does anyone tow something in the 4k lb range with a class 3 equiped Exp? How does it do...
Our 2006 Explorer (4.6L V8) shows it has a 12000# GCVW and a Maximum Trailer Capacity of 7300# - we have the manufacturer towing package with Class III Hitch. We are looking at a Salem T23 with an unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) of 3820# and GVWR of 7420#. We don't plan on EVER adding 3600# of stuff to get to the max. Can we pull this trailer with out Explorer (adding a weight distri)? I realize we'll add weight with LP and other personal stuff but we don't plan on loading water as we'll travel only to sights that have water and elect. Any guidance?
When I was calling around town for a Hidden Hitch model 70647, just about every dealer told me they could get them in but that I should contact U-Haul. Everyone claimed that U-Haul make a Hidden Hitch clone that is the same thing for a lot less. .... so I called U-Haul and now have a 78166. It's hideous. It will be coming off. My nice black Limited has a 4" black (and silver where it has no paint) pipe hanging below the bumper. It does not tuck up under the bumper like the Hidden Hitch and it does not curve much with the spare tire like the Hidden Hitch. Now I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place. I'm going to order a 70647, rip this eyesore off my X, and put on the far more attractive Hidden Hitch...
Hi everyone I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with bumper towing package. We are thinking of buying a tent trailer and I was wondering if anyone out there has towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch. The trailer uses a 2" ball. Has anyone towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch and what are your suggestions, or thoughts on this. Thanks
Hey guys, I'm in the process of trying to sort out my trailer light issues. I would like to be able to pull our boat (18ft Four Winns) without having to keep borrowing a tow vehicle. The factory 4-pin plug that was on there was shot. So I picked up a new 4-pin plug today (one with LEDs in it to let me know if it's working at the pin) and spliced that onto the factory connector's wires. All of that works fine, my Ohm meter ohms out on each of the wires. Also, my running lights work just fine. The problem is that I have no signal lights and I have no brake light (which seems odd being that the running lights work). Only the LED for the running lights comes on when the lights are on. It's not the LEDs, I have 0 volts on the signal and...
Hello. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer and Im looking to start towing with it. Im getting ready to buy a hitch for it but the truck doesn't have the wiring for the trailer to plug in. I probley need the 7 way plug because my trailer will have brakes. I was curious if there was a pig tail or anything I could buy a 7 way and plug into or does it have to be completely wired? Thanks
Back