Factory Ford Hitch Class III | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Ford Hitch Class III

I currently have an EB 2002 with a class II hitch, Id like to upgrade to a class III but from what I have read you have to only get the factory ford hitch due to bumper support?

Is there any other hitch out ther except for the $500 ford one? Does anyone have a ford part number? thanks
nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can get an aftermarket hitch that will mount beneith the factory hitch...to me it looks silly, but that's just me. the only class 3 hitch that mounts in the factory position and doubles as bumper support is made by ford.

Be careful

Before you go putting a class III hitch on, you have to check what differential, and trans, as well as engine you have. Ford put class III hitches on the vehicles that were capable of towing heavier tongue weights. If you have a class II I bet you have a 3.55 axle, and you can't tow very much with that. I don't know what you plan to tow, just thought I would tell you.

Class III hitch alternative

I don't know if it would help, but Valley Industries has a two inch receiver - model 82430 - hitch that mounts under the factory Ford 1 1/4" hitch. It includes a cover plate so at least from the rear you only see the 2 inch hitch. It also drops the receiver down to a more practical level (at least for me). I wasn't as interested in upgrading the towing limit as I was in getting the 2" receiver opening (for some of the accessories that I used on a previous vehicle) for my new-to-me 2005 XLT 4.0 4X2. I found the hitch when googling for alternatives to a u-haul hitch [ugh] or scavanging a factory hitch. It works well for me.

No1Eman said:
Before you go putting a class III hitch on, you have to check what differential, and trans, as well as engine you have. Ford put class III hitches on the vehicles that were capable of towing heavier tongue weights. If you have a class II I bet you have a 3.55 axle, and you can't tow very much with that. I don't know what you plan to tow, just thought I would tell you.

You're wrong.

You need to get the actual steel bumper underneath the plastic bumper cover. It will bolt right up. The only difference you will have you won't have the 7 pin like the ones with the tow package.

IAmTodd said:
You're wrong.

You need to get the actual steel bumper underneath the plastic bumper cover. It will bolt right up. The only difference you will have you won't have the 7 pin like the ones with the tow package.

Actually he's right. The trucks with the tow package have a 3.73 gear ratio.

Still doesn't mean he can't tow with a class III hitch.

IAmTodd said:
Still doesn't mean he can't tow with a class III hitch.

He could tow a 5th wheel with the right modifications, but that doesn't mean its right. Anytime you tow you should consider the weakest link. Just by adding a Class III hitch means you can tow the maxiumum a Class III is rated for.

Just adding my .02 cents worth. If you add a Class III hitch you can tow up to the rate of the hitch. BUT the powertrain was intended for only for Class II weight limit thus the 3.55 and smaller trans cooler. So with the 3.55 and 7k trailer the Frame can handle it but the powertrian may blow like the transmission, transfer case and axles.
Over on the Jeep side of things, lot of guys go with Swampers or 33's and unless they upgrade the ratio they break axles all the time, most regear to 4.10 and up with big tires and keep a spare axle in the back.
So even with a Class III the limit 'should be' 3k lbs with 3.55.

IAmTodd said:
You're wrong.

No, I'm not.

http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-towing-specs.htm

Here you will find tow ratings for Ford vehicles. If ford equips a vehicle to tow class III weights, then they will put a class III hitch on it. With a class II hitch, you are limited because that is how Ford equipped the vehicle. The original poster didn't mention V-8 engines, or 4.10 gears, so I thought it was prudent to mention that he needs to look at what kind of weight he intends to tow, and to make sure that his vehicle can handle it.

You can't take towing limits too lightly, especially with a short wheelbase explorer.

Yep, I got a take-off class III hitch from an Explorer. I found it on E-bay...brand new and in perfect condition. It was under $200, so look around. It only took 20 minutes to install, fit right up. Took that class II hitch and threw it as far as I could (not very far :( )
I know my X is only rated for Class II operations, so I keep my hauling at that level. I tow my 2500# boat just fine.
Ken

See below - it shows the rating of a v6 X at 5300lbs or so. Which is what I found on other ratings. If you notice on the OEM Class II hitch, it says that the vehicle may actually be able to to something heavier than what the hitch is rated for. Clearly, what is below backs that up. I'm trying to find an OEM Class III hitch so I can maximize the capacity of the X that I purchased. I'm just curious as to why everyone above says that the rating is so low?

Selected Tow Ratings

Year Make Style Model Engine TowLimit(lbs)
2WD/4WD

2005 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury SUV Ford Explorer 4.6L V-8 7140 / 7000
2005 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury SUV Ford Explorer 4.0L V-6 5760 / 5380
2005 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury SUV Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V-6 5660 / 5280
2005 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury SUV Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L V-8 7040 / 6900

This towing guide is taken from "Trailer Life" magazine's annual guide for factory tow ratings for passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks. Every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of this tow-rating guide. Prospective buyers should verify the information by reading the factory tow guide for their particular vehicle. It is also important to note that some capacities may change during the model year without notice. Again, consult with the latest towing guide from your respective vehicle manufacturer before selecting a travel trailer. Tow rating may differ depending on your vehicle specifics such as type of transmission, axle ratio, 2WD or 4WD, or the need of a tow package. Some vehicles require that a trailer have brakes, which all TrailManors have. Consideration needs to be taken also for level of road, speed, weather conditions and other factors. Some states have regulation requirements for trailer towing. Check requirements for your state or the states where you plan on traveling.

\

According to the 2005 Ford truck towing guide, if you have a 2005 4 door explorer with a 4.0 liter v-6 and a 3.55 rear differential you can only tow a trailer that weighs 3240#. If you have the v-8 and a 3.55 you can only tow a trailer that weighs 3260#. Now if you have a 3.73 rear axel, a v-8 can tow 7140# and a V-6 can tow 5760#. I already posted the link, but here it is again...http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-towing-specs.htm. Go to that site, and scroll down to Ford towing guides. Has them for 2003, 2004, and 2005.
I originally posted a reply to this thread because I have a 2005 2wd eddie bauer with the v-6, and I went through all of this to try to figure out if it would tow the camper trailer I wanted, which is a 26 foot fleetwood orbit. I used my ex to pull this trailer from michigan to south dakota last summer and it worked fine, a little under powered, but still got us there and back. I'd hate to see someone try to hitch something up to an ex with 3.55 gears and blow out their trans. For some reason it is a big difference. Don't know if it is the trans cooler, or what. I just thought it was important to point it out.

Another good site to talk about towing is http://www.rv.net/, here you will find all kinds of infor on campers and towing.

From what i have learned years ago . .
The Gear Ratio of the Axle determines how many revolutions the driveline makes. With the 3.73 it takes 3.73 rotations per 1 tire rotation. With the 3.55 you only get 3.55 rotations per tire rotation. Its only a 5% difference but what that does is make the motor spin faster 200-300rpms faster and closer toward the Toqure end of the engine, also most important is the transmission spins faster which allows the transmission to run tighter (higher RPM = higher pressure = tighter clutches). So with a 3.73 and when you pull a heavy load 7k there is very little slippage in the transmission. When you change to 3.55 and 7k there will be a lot slippage and a lot of wear on the clutch plates which shortens the life of the transmission. Roughly.

Regardless of what the truck is rated for, or what the hitch bolted to it is rated for, it doesn't change the fact that you CAN equip the truck with a class (whatever you want) hitch and use it to tow. In the original poster's case, he wanted to be able to utilize his existing 2" hardware (drawbars, bike racks, hitch haulers, scooter carriers, etc).

I think we're all in agreement that although the hitch may now be a class III hitch, the towing capacity of the vehicle remains unchanged. That number comes from the VEHICLE manufacturer (not Trailer Life magazine) and is set based on the engine/transmission/drivetrain/gear ratio/tire size combination unique to your vehicle. That number is set by the manufacturer and should not be exceeded regardless of they type of towing method used.

-Joe

For the record, later model Explorers do NOT have a different tranny cooler with the tow package. ALL late model explorers come with a tranny cooler, and ALL come with at least a class 2 hitch. But to tow class 3 weight (6000lbs ) you need a tow package from the factory which puts in 3.37:1 gears, a class 3 hitch, and a 7-pin wiring harness on the hitch.

I know this, cuz I'm looking at used late model V8 explorers. Every dang dealer you ask if it has a tow package, and they say yes (cuz it has a hitch and a tranny cooler). THan you get to the dealership and find out it is a class 2 hitch :(

The Trailer Life tow ratings are the MAXIMUM for each vehice EQUIPPED WITH A TOWING PACKAGE. Not all V-6 Explorers can tow the maximum.

I think we're all in agreement that although the hitch may now be a class III hitch, the towing capacity of the vehicle remains unchanged. That number comes from the VEHICLE manufacturer (not Trailer Life magazine) and is set based on the engine/transmission/drivetrain/gear ratio/tire size combination unique to your vehicle. That number is set by the manufacturer and should not be exceeded regardless of they type of towing method used.

I do agree with that. BUT the bottom line (or question) is this: Why must Ford make it so DAMN CONFUSING? It should be far easier to figure out...If I didn't look on here, and lets be honest, not everyone does their research/homework, I'd think that I should be able to tow 5300 lbs with a v6 X. Then, I get down the damned road with a heavy-ass trailer, the thing breaks and it's because all of the gearing and coolers and god only knows what else went into the equation that spelled trouble...

My boat only weighs in the 3000 (at most) range but when I look at that tiny little receiver, it all just looks like it will break to me! I have enough trouble with the boat and the trailer when I go to the lake to worry about the receiver/tow capacity too. UGH!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do agree with that. BUT the bottom line (or question) is this: Why must Ford make it so DAMN CONFUSING? It should be far easier to figure out...If I didn't look on here, and lets be honest, not everyone does their research/homework, I'd think that I should be able to tow 5300 lbs with a v6 X. Then, I get down the damned road with a heavy-ass trailer, the thing breaks and it's because all of the gearing and coolers and god only knows what else went into the equation that spelled trouble...

My boat only weighs in the 3000 (at most) range but when I look at that tiny little receiver, it all just looks like it will break to me! I have enough trouble with the boat and the trailer when I go to the lake to worry about the receiver/tow capacity too. UGH!!!

LOL! Yea, I was looking on the net for a vin identifier or something to tell if it has the class II or class III/IV towing, and I couldn't find it. Although it just throws more numbers and confusing crap into the mix, you can tow up to 3500# with a class II hitch. You should be fine for towing your boat.

Back