1996 Explorer Power Window Fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Power Window Fix

Are you checking for power at the motor connector? Take the connector apart, check the male end from the switch. Switch untouched should show ground from both wires. Switch activated should read voltage. Check this first, b/4 you "tear" into anything. Try checking from the back of the switch, b/4 the wire to the male connector. It might be stressed from the switch to the connector. If you have power, reconnect the plugs, and check connection at the motor. You will have to remove it, and then you might as well replace the plugs in it. There is a thread showing how to do it, I did mine yesterday in 30 mins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

power window relay 1996 ford explorer

Hello forum....I am looking for some advice regarding my 1996 explorer eddie bauer. I took my explorer in and washed it and when I did, the power windows stopped working. They worked immediately after the wash because I put them down, however, they will not go back now! Additionally, the 4x4 hi/low lights keep blinking on the dash. Has anyone heard of this? From what I have gathered from the forum it could be a bad relay. Does anyone know where this is located in the vehicle or the best way to go about fixing it? Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks to whomever posted the tip about using a lawnmower battery to get the window to roll up. That worked.

So, at least I don't have to mess with hanging plastic in the window :) Now I can find the broken wire in peace.

Thanks to whomever posted the tip about using a lawnmower battery to get the window to roll up. That worked.

So, at least I don't have to mess with hanging plastic in the window :) Now I can find the broken wire in peace.

Your welcome,:D
Hope it goes well for you!

ok im gonna revive this thread beause im having the same issue.

so ive foud the lil black box where the relays are housed.
does anyone have the time to snap a pic of which relay is for the windows?
my 95 eb didnt come with a manual so i cant look and so far ive found threads on where the box is but non that describe which is which .

anyhelp is greatly appreciated by me and others in the futire who will end up using this guide. btw i vote sticky if this has helped enough people

ok im gonna revive this thread beause im having the same issue.

so ive foud the lil black box where the relays are housed.
does anyone have the time to snap a pic of which relay is for the windows?
my 95 eb didnt come with a manual so i cant look and so far ive found threads on where the box is but non that describe which is which .

anyhelp is greatly appreciated by me and others in the futire who will end up using this guide. btw i vote sticky if this has helped enough people

Mikey,
Inside the box is 7 relays. The largest of them is the accy delay system power windows. the one touch down relay is in the row of four smaller ones, closest to the large accy delay, farthest to corner of box. sorry if this is not clear enough. but their is a link to a manual in the threads somewhere, cant remember which one. Also in the power dist box under the hood is another relay for the windows. Standing in front of rig, looking AT the windshield, the relay is the 3 third one up from the closest to you, on right hand side, This controls windows, seats, locks. Good luck!

Mikey,
Inside the box is 7 relays. The largest of them is the accy delay system power windows. the one touch down relay is in the row of four smaller ones, closest to the large accy delay, farthest to corner of box. sorry if this is not clear enough. but their is a link to a manual in the threads somewhere, cant remember which one. Also in the power dist box under the hood is another relay for the windows. Standing in front of rig, looking AT the windshield, the relay is the 3 third one up from the closest to you, on right hand side, This controls windows, seats, locks. Good luck!

actually that wasy more then helpful thanks alot gman
am i wrong in saying that large relay is a standard universal relay i pulled it out and double checked the terminals and they are marked exactly like a 1.99 universal relay.

ok so ive checked relays and thats not the issue i finally get replacement multimeter so i started checking voltages, looks like im getting no power to the master switch.

however the master switch works because i applied power to it via jumperbox battery and all the windows functioned perfectly, so before i decide to wire in my own fusebox and relay panel anyone have an idea where the master switch gets its power? so i can trace it from there

Try asking CDW6212R, he knows a lot about the electrical on your problem. He has helped me on mine, he knows his stuff. Look him up in the members guide, send him a personal message to contact him. He can talk you through it.

Try looking at the wires that come in from the dash to the door I had a broken one and had to spice it ,they are hidden inside of a rubber boot just below the hinge of the door. My passenger rear door window { green wire } was cut.

Try looking at the wires that come in from the dash to the door I had a broken one and had to spice it ,they are hidden inside of a rubber boot just below the hinge of the door. My passenger rear door window { green wire } was cut.

thats a good idea but i just decided to do my own, fix that most may or may not agree with, i pulled the sideview mirror control plug and then tapped into the power source for that, then tap it into the main blue power, 30 seconds later viola! windows work took, and what would u know first time i rolled my drivers window down the SOB gets stuck, so for 25 min im trying to figure out how to get it to roll up, checked power and it was gettins solid 13v, was gonna pry it loose but feared id destroy some gears so i pulled door panel off once again, and felt the panel till i found the spot just behind where the motor clicks as i press the button. gave it a solid 3 whacks while holding the button to roll up and she came free, i greased up the rails which were in dire need of it and works great now......

now to figure out why she doesnt idle in gear

Power Windows, where is my accy module

I've been very ibnterested in reading this post, as I have the same problem with my windows.
They started and stoped working for some times and now nothing works anymore. In addition my 4*4 lights starts blinking whilst driving.
I read about the accy relay in this post but I cant find it....
Under my dash on the driver side I got got a relay box with eight same looking relays, none of thme is bigger than the others. On the passenger side is single big relay. Is it possible that that's the one?
I can't find any wiring diagram for my '98 Explorer.
Any hints?
Best Regards
Andreas

you sir are a genius, thank you very much

power windows

i have a 96 awd explorer and my power windows all work from the drivers door control but none of the other switchs work also i can only unlock my doors with the switch on the passenger door and can only lock them from the switch near the back hatch can sombody please help me?

WHERE is the relay panel??

Thanks to all the great advise on this site, I’m able to make my first post a “How I fixed this problem” one, so I wanted to share.

My problem was that the power windows on my 96 Explorer XLT 4dr, 2WD,V6, had quit working all together. They had been working off and on for about 3 months, but last week they completely quit. The culprit turned out to be the Power Accessory Relay. See pg 391 in the 96 Explorer Owners Manual Instrument Panel Relay Module #4. It’s the big relay labeled “Accy. Delay System Power Windows. This is the one mounted under the dash beside the steering column. I think this is the one that is often called the “Power Window Relay”. I got one at Advance Auto for $7.18 + tax (Part # R3177). Swapped the relays out and problem solved. All 4 windows are working again. By the way, I’m a pretty big guy (6’-4, 290#) and it only took me about 5 min. to swap the relays, it was really not hard to get to. My first thought had been that the master switch on the drivers side had gone bad. So I ran by the local Ford dealer and picked up a new one. $54.43 + tax. When I called to see if they had one, I think they told me it would be $64 and change, but I have found that they will usually knock a little bit off the price if you ask at the counter. Swapped the master switches out and nothing. I then determined that power was not getting to the master switch. So based on the information I had read on this very site, I turned my attention to the relay.

Again, thanks to everyone who has posted their comments on this site.

migar95gt; Where is the relay panel you mentioned? I've looked everywhere under the dash and can't seem to find a space that would be accessible to change a relay. Is there a panel that needs to be removed? There is a plastic trim panel under the steering wheel that is above the ECU connector as well as the hood release. I removed that but there is a steel plate under that. Perhaps the console needs to be removed? Seems a lot of work just to replace a relay.

I did buy one at Advance this morning. Seems they have jumped to 12 bucks and change since 2008!

Any possible info you can share would be appreciated. I need to get this window up.

The panel is under the dash on the driver side. It is just up to the right of the gas pedal on the side where the stereo/center console is. It is very slim and is just a plain black unmarket box. It should be easy to see. Looking up and using a light helps.

On my X, nothing was marked on or inside the box. There were 6 small relays all the same size and one big relay at the bottom. I'm under the understanding that this big one is the accessory delay relay which seems to fix alot of peoples power window problems.

I replaced it today with no such luck. I didn't replace any of the other relays because i didn't know which ones were which. My 1998 manual or haynes manual doesn't show these relays or even discuss them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, about the relays replacement, work great, had that problem for over 3 years, change the relays, all good

Back