Any help on how to install a new starter? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any help on how to install a new starter?

I got my starter off but can't get it out all the holes are to small for the starter to fit through.. Any advice?

I Seen no response, Im trying the same thing. I flipped it turned it every way to try and slide it down between the yoke of the front drive shaft and oild pan. darn thing.. so came in to see how you guys did it. ARGH ill try and see if i can get it through the wheel well. This is a 96 and I swear i didnt have this much trouble with my 95. ya ya, I know they are the same LOL... :banghead:Im heading back out.. to try again.

As for the top bolt, the easiest thing for me was to get a 12 point closed end 13mm wrench I left one inch clearance between the starter and the wrench then I put the handle of an adjustable wrench between the wrench and the starter and pried up. The handle of the adjustable sat flush on the side of the starter and I was able to crack the bolt with no problem and then took it out with the wrench in a jiffy..

thats my 2 cents..

I Seen no response, Im trying the same thing. I flipped it turned it every way to try and slide it down between the yoke of the front drive shaft and oild pan. darn thing.. so came in to see how you guys did it. ARGH ill try and see if i can get it through the wheel well. This is a 96 and I swear i didnt have this much trouble with my 95. ya ya, I know they are the same LOL... :banghead:Im heading back out.. to try again.

As for the top bolt, the easiest thing for me was to get a 12 point closed end 13mm wrench I left one inch clearance between the starter and the wrench then I put the handle of an adjustable wrench between the wrench and the starter and pried up. The handle of the adjustable sat flush on the side of the starter and I was able to crack the bolt with no problem and then took it out with the wrench in a jiffy..

thats my 2 cents..

did anyone figure this out i am having the same problem

I cant tell u how to do it other than to say it needs to go up and turn an tilt before it comes down. It will come out I've done this job several times on the ground and on a lift it sucks but it will come out without taking other parts off u just gotta fight with it. Also for anyone on a budget the starters are alot cheaper to fix then replace. Dont let parts places screw you the parts are available and I have actually used other ford starters for parts. I put together three very nice starters for my spares an all it cost was some time an about thirty bucks at the junk yard

Back