No injector pulse, no EEC-IV Diagnostics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No injector pulse, no EEC-IV Diagnostics

Ok, I had all these same problems with my old 91 explorer, and am now having them again with my 94. The main difference is that I am steadily learning more and more as I go, but am still in a new quandry... just replaced the crank sensor, and the EGR pressure regulator which solved the no run no idle issues, BUT... now we have a NEW problem... when driving the machine at about 40 mph (climbing an incline albiet not a harsh one) it cuts out... not total power loss, but cuts out none the less and sort of blunders along for a while, then catches third gear and the tach climbs again and power is back. This motor had a knock to it when we bought the vehicle but we assumed (i know... don't assume) that it is a noisy lifter or something along that line which after 142,ooo miles one expects thing like that (especially when ya run 'em like ya stole 'em :) which I do at a hundred miles plus per journey). Oh, I also almost forgot, I took the time to carb cleaner the idle air intake valve as well just as a precaution in all of this. Any takers on the cutting out? It recently had a new fuel pump installed, and we have a fuel filter laying on the work bench for it, but I was wondering on the EGR valve itself since the regulator helped, but left us with this cut out issue?

I wanted to clarify one issue I have seen a bunch of folks are having ... I did not have the constanly running fuel pump ( in this vehicle) but I DO have the issue of not being able to hear mine prime as I have seen others mention, and I still have no idea why. Now with mine there have been times I will hear it prime, but more often than not lately I do not hear it. BUT like I noted earlier we just put this one in it since it died sitting in the garage about a month ago.

Ok, I had all these same problems with my old 91 explorer, and am now having them again with my 94. The main difference is that I am steadily learning more and more as I go, but am still in a new quandry... just replaced the crank sensor, and the EGR pressure regulator which solved the no run no idle issues, BUT... now we have a NEW problem... when driving the machine at about 40 mph (climbing an incline albiet not a harsh one) it cuts out... not total power loss, but cuts out none the less and sort of blunders along for a while, then catches third gear and the tach climbs again and power is back. This motor had a knock to it when we bought the vehicle but we assumed (i know... don't assume) that it is a noisy lifter or something along that line which after 142,ooo miles one expects thing like that (especially when ya run 'em like ya stole 'em :) which I do at a hundred miles plus per journey). Oh, I also almost forgot, I took the time to carb cleaner the idle air intake valve as well just as a precaution in all of this. Any takers on the cutting out? It recently had a new fuel pump installed, and we have a fuel filter laying on the work bench for it, but I was wondering on the EGR valve itself since the regulator helped, but left us with this cut out issue?

I wanted to clarify one issue I have seen a bunch of folks are having ... I did not have the constanly running fuel pump ( in this vehicle) but I DO have the issue of not being able to hear mine prime as I have seen others mention, and I still have no idea why. Now with mine there have been times I will hear it prime, but more often than not lately I do not hear it. BUT like I noted earlier we just put this one in it since it died sitting in the garage about a month ago.

Check plugs, plug wires and coil pack. Preferably in that order (least expensive to most expensive).

Update:

Well, we went from no idle to running, but now it only runs about half decent when you are out on the open road, in town it acts like it is flooding itself out and gets all rough in the idle. Soon as you get it rolling again it goes great, but if you listen close to it you can still hear it is not as smooth as it should be. We swapped out the MAF and the IACV sprayed the throttle body up with carb cleaner while it was off and put a new DPFE on. Next step I think I am going to replace the TPS, the EGR and the EGR CV see what goes from there. The plugs are all new and the old ones were not overly bad, wires seem ok, but will more than likely replace those as well when I go buy half of Autozone for all those sensors...lol. I have what we originally thought was a noisy lifter as well, but now we are going to try the knock sensor and see what that does. I know you guys say about running all these tests first, but lets face it, I run my machine flat out over a hundred miles a night and it simply won't hurt for me to "throw some parts at it" at least then I know they are all good for a while again :) . The motor has been tinkered with in the past though and I have no clue how much becuase when we went to put the new IACV on it, the previous people had done a similar swap and rigged a new plug on to suit the one they put on it... therefor we had to undo what they did to match the one we got from Autozone... go figure right? oh well, such is life I guess. :/ Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to post and tell which sensor did the most good for the problem because we will be trying it out between each replacement to see which one makes the difference. Happy motoring!!

I have a 95 with the 4.0. Engine starts on either.

Replaced fuel pump and filter. No pressure at the rail test point.

I can hear the fuel pump run for two or three seconds and then stops.

According to Chilton book number 26688; pg 4-4; #3 note 2
"The fuel pump will operate as long as the engine is cranking or running and the PCM is receiving ignition reference pulses from the electronic ignition system. If there are no reference pulses, the fuel pump will shut off after two or three seconds."

On page 4-5; note 3; it talks about the camshaft position sensor (CPS) sending a signal to the PCM...

So my question is...

Is it fact possible that the CPS did die?

Thanks

Back