Completed Project - TTB Terror build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project TTB Terror build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
They are from Autofab.com. I believe the part numbers are RBX4.0 and RTM100
Should be sold as a kit. They are a tad pricey as with everything from autofab but they couldn't have done a better job on them. No complaints here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be sold as a kit. They are a tad pricey as with everything from autofab but they couldn't have done a better job on them. No complaints here.

They stopped selling them awile ago..you purchased them from them currently? ?

Wow really? I would've got them around the same time I bought the trans so it was a little less than a year ago. I had trouble finding them on the new site when I got them. I noticed their d44 ttb conversion kit is off the site too. It was what planted the seed in my head but there was no way I could afford their kit.

Yea they had fitment issues. .i have emails back and forth from them and this was easily MONTHS ago..you may have to trim one of them to get it to fit on the motor from what im told..

Speaking of which im sure i over looked but what trans do you go with and final cost?

I like the homemade front diff guard, thats pretty sweet. I may make one of those. Also did you weld that body paneling with flux core? Looks like ya did from the pics, but i am going blind.....

I was unaware of that thanks JD. I shot a few emails back and forth with them myself but there was never any mention of fit issues. We'll see.

As for the transmission I went with the full performance A4LD. It is supposed to be rated for 750hp but I don't think anything I do to the v6 will come close to that.

And stop looking at the welds! Haha yeah they are flux core but until I start messing with a cage and actual frame related stuff I won't bother to get the gas out but the truss on the rear came out ok. I just needed to do a better job cleaning it. It also didn't help that I laid the first beads outside while it was snowing. My workspace is my biggest hindrance at the moment hence the flux. It's safer to weld outside than in a tiny cluttered garage in my opinion.

Brian1 from the board makes engine mounts like these, at a much lower price. They have been tested and work. [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION]

Thanks for the mention Brian. I wasn't aware of fit issues with the Autofab set either. I do have a few sets of HD motor mounts for sale that replace the stock mounts without changing the bracket on the block. More info in my for sale ad here: LINK

Cool project! I especially like it because it is the same color as mine - I don't see them that often!

I have the auto fab engine mounts and they fit perfectly on mine. I didnt buy their transmission mount. I made my own.

Mine started out looking like that too.....it's a slippery slope after getting bit lol :D

Here is some constructive criticism for the welding. Do not use flux core wire on body panels. The flux will show thru the paint. In reality you only have to spot weld body panels as well. Also pull the puddle with flux core and push with hard wire. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I realized that I shouldnt have fully welded after I started but as far as the body goes, topside all the welding is complete. What's on there is getting covered most the time by fiberglass anyway. I guess I never really covered it but the passenger side was done before I parked it for the winter. Welding isn't finished completely though I'm tackling the body channels now.

I got the original body mounts out except for 2 stubborn ones today. Not too shabby but I started looking at all the other body channels I wanted to hack out. Originally I wanted to cut them off from the bottom and call it good since the body won't be supporting a lot when I add the cage etc. but after moving the body around today I started to think about all the forces they see and they are there for reason so I'd have to hack them apart and end up with a twisted body.

So this leaves me with a few options. I can leave it (not really worth going thorough all this work only to have rust form in 5 years), I could cut holes in the floor to clean them from the top and patch them later (best imo) or I'm about to say forget it and SPRAYFOAM all the channels.:eek::(:roll:

I'd like some input so I don't run to Hone Depot on my way home from work tomorrow. ;)

I am HORRIBLE about updating this page. I ended up cutting the body channels out from the top and painted the insides pics to come. Mostly I have just been using POR15 to paint the frame and body which is very time consuming. To top it off we have had 4 dry days in 2 months time. I had to move the explorer outside so I can only paint when it'll be dry out. I wanted to start on the suspension by July but I forgot about painting the frame/body, redoing the body mounts etc. It's all the time consuming stuff that slipped my mind. at this point I'm just doing what I can when I can. At least its living up to its name... TTB TERROR

Doh

I uploaded photos a long time ago but i guess I never added an update with them. now that i learned how to directly upload from my phone updates should be easier. Anyway these next couple posts will cover a huge a mmount of progress. Everything from frame coating,underbodycoating,cutting the body channels, and a lot of rust proofing. As well as a door swap and the beginings of the front axle swap enjoy.

This is what I was afraid I'd find in the rear most body channel. it led me to cut the rear channels on both sides by the frame and behind the rear seats. I did this all while dodging raindrops constantly for 2 months

cleaned the mouse nest out...

I started hackimg the original rear shock mounts out too. The plan is to mount a battery box back there and bring the rear shocks through the body and outboard of the frame.

OUT!

Channels cleaned out

And all the junk under the back seat hump...

I kinda jump around on this build a little doing body work one day frame another, so I randomly decided to swap my good doors for my gutted ones on the parts truck.

Also around this time I got the body unbolted from the frame so I could start recoating the frame and coating the underbody.

This was the bolt from rear most body mount.

I didnt think replacing the body mounts would be worth the hassel but after looking at some of the bolts I feel much better knowing that I have new grade 8s going on there.

The new POR15'd frame and underbody!

Random mod I did just to ease in cleaning the rear channel out and cleaning up the factory rear tail light area.
took it from this

to this

now when closing the gate nothing is visible below it, it cleans up the rear after the gate is shut, and will look cleaner after a tube bumper gets installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was dodging rain drops for 2 months with only about 4 dry days in June and July combined. It was a headache and really set my build back. I got the front axle out about a month later than I hopped but in my down time I did get to meet a hero.

To those of you who don't recognize the man in the hat, that's Bob Chandler the creator of the Bigfoot Monster Truck. I got to shake his hand and talk for a little bit with him. It was one of the few moments I couldnt find words to say anything about anything. EVEN TRUCK RELATED. I meant to ask him why there wasn't ever a BroncoII or Explorer Bigfoot? They had a Ranger and Aerostar...

But I did get my glove box cover signed! I feel like this truck will get driven a lot harder knowing that a little bit of Bigfoot is sitting in the passenger seat.

Back